Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rubbing noise, front wheel

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve started getting a frequent rubbing noise which sounds like it’s from the front os wheel. I first thought it was something in the tyre but that’s not the case, I have checked the cover behind the disc and can’t see anything and pushed it back in several places and no sign of anything stuck behind it.

What could be causing this noise, any ideas?

Noise

Model 3 extended mudguards can rub along the ground under suspension travel if you’ve recently fitted them or you have become a bit more enthusiastic about your driving? Both M3 and MY can rub on speed humps.

Your recording just isn't clear enough to tell, maybe because wind noise is interfering?
Is it a cyclical noise? i.e. scrape......scrape......scrape etc. and the faster you drive, the higher the frequency?
Very doubtful it would be wheel bearing though.
Check that the wheel speed sensor cable is secured properly. If that comes adrift it can rub on the inside of the tyre until it breaks the wires and then you'll get a load of faults and no ABS, TC, etc.

Your recording just isn't clear enough to tell, maybe because wind noise is interfering?
Is it a cyclical noise? i.e. scrape......scrape......scrape etc. and the faster you drive, the higher the frequency?
Very doubtful it would be wheel bearing though.
Check that the wheel speed sensor cable is secured properly. If that comes adrift it can rub on the inside of the tyre until it breaks the wires and then you'll get a load of faults and no ABS, TC, etc.
Thanks for the reply, Yes, it speeds up the faster I drive. Can only hear it really when the window is down so I guess it could have been like this for sometime.

Will have a look again later, I couldn’t see anything touching the tyre when checking yesterday as that was my first thought.

Nothing touching the tyre anywhere, took the wheel off and span the hub and could hear a rub pads to disc. (Spinning freely) Took the pads out and span again and no noise, gave it all a good clean but nothing looked out of place apart from outer pad having a light curved line wear which the disc also has, but overall it all looks as new. Put all back together and noise was more a consistent light rub when spinning the hub, but once driving the noise is as before.

Nothing touching the tyre anywhere, took the wheel off and span the hub and could hear a rub pads to disc. (Spinning freely) Took the pads out and span again and no noise, gave it all a good clean but nothing looked out of place apart from outer pad having a light curved line wear which the disc also has, but overall it all looks as new. Put all back together and noise was more a consistent light rub when spinning the hub, but once driving the noise is as before.
So the noise isn't the same when you spin the wheel/hub by hand as it is while driving?
Any chance you can try and get a better recording of the noise? Is it any different going around corners or with steering on full lock?
Does it continue to make the same noise when you gently apply the brakes?

So the noise isn't the same when you spin the wheel/hub by hand as it is while driving?
Any chance you can try and get a better recording of the noise? Is it any different going around corners or with steering on full lock?
Does it continue to make the same noise when you gently apply the brakes?
The noise when spinning the hub did sound like the noise when driving. Really difficult to tell if the noise stop when pressing the brakes due to regen braking. Will try and do some testing with full lock etc.

The noise when spinning the hub did sound like the noise when driving. Really difficult to tell if the noise stop when pressing the brakes due to regen braking. Will try and do some testing with full lock etc.
Do you have low regen setting in the menu?
If not, you can go into the service menu and use the brake burnishing mode to turn off regen completely.

Reactions: SteveH13
Do you have low regen setting in the menu?
If not, you can go into the service menu and use the brake burnishing mode to turn off regen completely.
I did a quick check on how to turn off and seen the burnishing mode, will give that a go.
Couple pics with the pads out. Note the line in the disc.

Attachments

• IMG_4237.jpeg
    IMG_4237.jpeg
    637.6 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_4238.jpeg
    IMG_4238.jpeg
    597.8 KB · Views: 4
That does look odd and I'd suspect it as the cause of the noise.
Have you got a pic of the pad that was in that side?
I don’t, it had a faint curved line that matches up with the line on the disc. But the pad was smooth across the surface. I went into burnishing mode and even did the full 10 cycles whilst I was in there. It sounds like the noise continues even when breaking slowly so I’m more stumped now.

I don’t, it had a faint curved line that matches up with the line on the disc. But the pad was smooth across the surface. I went into burnishing mode and even did the full 10 cycles whilst I was in there. It sounds like the noise continues even when breaking slowly so I’m more stumped now.
Can you feel that line? Is it raised or scratched into the surface of the disc?
Something may have got trapped between the pad and disc to cause it, but if there's no debris you can see I can't think how it would be making a noise now.

Can you feel that line? Is it raised or scratched into the surface of the disc?
Something may have got trapped between the pad and disc to cause it, but if there's no debris you can see I can't think how it would be making a noise now.
You can feel it scratched into the disc. Will hand it to Tesla to hopefully work out what is causing the noise I guess now. It’s annoying as I don’t really know when it started as I normally always have the windows up and then it’s not noticeable and with the radio on you wouldn’t know. I rotated the tyres a couple months back but I’m not feeling any vibration at any speed in the steering wheel and the tyres were all evenly worn. Fronts now have 4.5mm and rears 5mm+ original tyres. Feb 23 car with 9.3k miles.

Reactions: Dangerous Fish