Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rumour of free premium for leases cars ending

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The wireless hotspot is only discoverable when you are actually on the Personal Hotspot screen on the iPhone. If you are on the home screen, or somewhere else, it is not broadcast so the car can't see it to connect to it.

Basically, you have to navigate to the Personal Hotspot screen on your phone, then click on the car icon and then the wireless icon, and connect to the now visible iPhone wireless network. You might not have to actually do anything other than the first step if you are not in range of any other wireless signal.
Is there a way to automate using shortcuts in iPhone so that once I enter it connects to hotspot?

Reactions: DelPhonic1
To complicate things further (and I could be wrong here)… I believe unless you’re using the Apple ID family sharing settings which allows the hotspot to be ‘woken up’ by another device on demand…

For security reasons (and battery life) an iPhone won’t emit an SSID for any Wi-Fi hotspot connections (even if it’s a device that remembers the network) unless you have it unlocked and or the hotspot screen open. So for the shortcut to work you would have to unlock the phone anyway at which point you may as well just open hotspot settings (you could do that with a shortcut atleast to make it one tap not three). And obviously USB and Bluetooth workarounds don’t work with our cars.

Reactions: Durzel
Is there a way to automate using shortcuts in iPhone so that once I enter it connects to hotspot?
I've gone wasteful and am using the bludgeon method. I became flustered, then hauled off and bought a wi-fi hotspot from Verizon and plugged it in the back. The hotspot now does both downloads/uploads for Beta, as well as keeps me connected with wi-fi, because that was true buzz kill each time to sort out on the iPhone side restarting tethering, then on the Tesla side and once moving, turning on wi-fi and reselecting my iPhone rather than house wi-fi. Now, it just sees the Verizon hotspot all the time. And I'm not running out of quote unquote "Unlimited" data on my iPhone every month any more. Workwise, I am always set since sometimes I need to upload/download large chunks of data on the road or when vacationing-- I mean working 'remote'. And I'm 16b,44.1 Tidal literally 24/7 no matter if I'm exploring new music or going with my favs. The 16b,44.1 is 'only' cd quality, sure. But unlike previous decades, this is more of a serious higher quality front end 'receiver' inside this starship. These Tesla engineers on these sound systems have put in the work and the detail, and it shows! And at 80mph with the higher quality sound plying thru the road/wind noise, my ears don't hurt at very hi volumes any longer-- it's comfortable and I can hear well enough to critique the producers verb and delay technique. I could use a better sub in my 2018 MX(maybe Plaid will fix that soon), but it's a beautiful thing.

This here Tesla is actually quite a glorious music destination now.

Last edited:
Got an email from Tesla tonight....

Your Premium Connectivity subscription will continue through 05 May 2022, at which point your subscription will return to Standard Connectivity.

You can resubscribe to Premium Connectivity from your Tesla Account at any time.

But I've already subscribed? Did so on the 2nd 🤷‍♂️

I called Leaespan today .. to beg for them to extend my one moth trial which ends on May 1st ... and they reconfigured my account so I could pay . It took a couple of min with the right guy and a new option appeared in my app Manage, I could then add a subscription
Thanks for this , I found the manage function and have now got my connectivity subscription sorted.