Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Run Flat Tires

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I commute at night, when there's less traffic in Southern California. The stretch of hwy 101 I cover always seems to be under construction with lots of road hazards. To avoid getting stranded, I mounted run flats on my S's 19" wheels. The new generation of run flats are much better; not loud or harsh. I replaced the Goodyear Eagles with Bridgestone Potenza RE960AS Pole Position RFT 245/45RF-19. (Filled w/ nitrogen) They are very close in spec to the Goodyears. Same 1,653 lb load rating. A little better grip, AAA vs. AA. And a little faster speed rating V vs. W. They are 1/2" wider and a bit heavier (6 lbs/ea). So far I'm really liking them, and the V tread pattern looks kind of cool. I also carry the Tesla air pump w/ tire slime. At o-dark hundred, if I get a flat, I'm hoping to limp to my destination rather than be flatbeded to a closed tire shop or service center. At least that's my plan. I'm not sure why Elon & Co decided not to go with run flats on a car with no spare, but if I had to guess, it was because they didn't want the extra weight (24 lbs in total) and slightly diminished range. I don't think ride or handling were the issues. Having driven an 85 mile range Nissan Leaf for the last 21 months, the Tesla with 250 miles, has made my range anxiety suddenly nowhere to be found.

IMG_7994-1.jpg

Tesla air pump

IMG_7996-1.jpg

Slime refil

IMG_7997-1.jpg

I commute at night, when there's less traffic in Southern California. The stretch of hwy 101 I cover always seems to be under construction with lots of road hazards. To avoid getting stranded, I mounted run flats on my S's 19" wheels. The new generation of run flats are much better; not loud or harsh. I replaced the Goodyear Eagles with Bridgestone Potenza RE960AS Pole Position RFT 245/45RF-19. (Filled w/ nitrogen) They are very close in spec to the Goodyears. Same 1,653 lb load rating. A little better grip, AAA vs. AA. And a little faster speed rating V vs. W. They are 1/2" wider and a bit heavier (6 lbs/ea). So far I'm really liking them, and the V tread pattern looks kind of cool. I also carry the Tesla air pump w/ tire slime. At o-dark hundred, if I get a flat, I'm hoping to limp to my destination rather than be flatbeded to a closed tire shop or service center. At least that's my plan. I'm not sure why Elon & Co decided not to go with run flats on a car with no spare, but if I had to guess, it was because they didn't want the extra weight (24 lbs in total) and slightly diminished range. I don't think ride or handling were the issues. Having driven an 85 mile range Nissan Leaf for the last 21 months, the Tesla with 250 miles, has made my range anxiety suddenly nowhere to be found.

Are you seeing an impact to range?

I am driving my second Corvette that cam with run flats. They are noisy, expensive and don't ride as well as tires with sidewalls that aren't as stiff. I finally got smart and bought conventional tires. I now have a 12 volt compressor in the Corvette and a tire repair kit. I will never buy run flats again.

- - - Updated - - -

I forgot to mention that you do not want to use tire sealant if your wheel has incorporated tire pressure monitors. The sealant may damage the sensors.

I have had run flats on my prior Lexus SCs and GSs and hated them--too stiff, too expensive, too hard for tire shops to dismount/remount, too limited a choice of tires when purchasing. BTW, if you have run flats, you get 50 miles of driving at 50 MPH, so an air compressor/slime is really redundant.

I have had run flats on my prior Lexus SCs and GSs and hated them--too stiff, too expensive, too hard for tire shops to dismount/remount, too limited a choice of tires when purchasing. BTW, if you have run flats, you get 50 miles of driving at 50 MPH, so an air compressor/slime is really redundant.

I had no problems driving on a run flat with zero air pressure. It was a problem to find somebody to fix one. Most tire places refuse to touch them.

I had no problems driving on a run flat with zero air pressure. It was a problem to find somebody to fix one. Most tire places refuse to touch them.

I am told they are difficult to repair and once 'flattened' are susceptible to future damage. If you do get a flat on a run flat tire it should be replaced, not repaired.

I forgot to mention that you do not want to use tire sealant if your wheel has incorporated tire pressure monitors. The sealant may damage the sensors.

Since Tesla sells a Tesla-branded tire repair kit that contains sealant specifically for the Model S, without any warnings about potential TPMS damage on it, I assume they've determined it to be safe. Either way, they'll be on the hook for warranty-replacing the TPMS sensor if their sealant damages it:

http://shop.teslamotors.com/collections/model-s/products/tire-repair-kit-model-s