Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Costco Bridgestone Run-Flat Tires

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm curious to learn if anyone can share their experience/opinion on Costco's Bridgestone Potenza S001L RFT - Runflat tires for Model Y Performance.

I'm always nervous about getting stranded with a flat tire during a long-distance trip to Socal. Some of the horror stories of the Tesla Service center's failure to keep tires in stock motivate me to towards run-flats - as long as there are no sacrifices other than price. Thanks!

Your ride will get even worse, likely noticeably so. Efficiency will likely suffer some. But if it soothes your anxiety, that's perhaps a fair tradeoff.

Also, if you're in Atherton, it's not like you're especially far from a tow truck.

Maybe get a temp spare and put it in the trunk? Or the spray repair kit?

I'm curious to learn if anyone can share their experience/opinion on Costco's Bridgestone Potenza S001L RFT - Runflat tires for Model Y Performance.

I'm always nervous about getting stranded with a flat tire during a long-distance trip to Socal. Some of the horror stories of the Tesla Service center's failure to keep tires in stock motivate me to towards run-flats - as long as there are no sacrifices other than price. Thanks!
I put in 255/35-21 and 275/35-21 and no matching sets came up for Bridgestones. Since these only come in 275/35-21, it's not really a match for this car anyway since it has staggered tires.

I put in 255/35-21 and 275/35-21 and no matching sets came up for Bridgestones. Since these only come in 275/35-21, it's not really a match for this car anyway since it has staggered tires.
Tires in size 275/35-21 will fit on the PMY front wheels (9.5" Width). Then you only have one size tire to source should you get a flat. Some say the 275/35-21 is stretched on the rear wheels (10.5" Width) and prefer to run size 295/35-21 in the rear.

My friend had a rental bmw last year, he got a flat(on a runflat) he has to spend over 500 to get it replaced(since they cant repair runflats)
Since they *won't repair runflats ;-) Most tire shops will do a patch/plug on runflats if the puncture is in a safe area of the tread. Dealers usually won't, though.
Tires in size 275/35-21 will fit on the PMY front wheels (9.5" Width). Then you only have one size tire to source should you get a flat. Some say the 275/35-21 is stretched on the rear wheels (10.5" Width) and prefer to run size 295/35-21 in the rear.
That's a good point. 275 on the back is definitely still narrow given the wheel width, probably a nice fit on the fronts.

I had run flat performance tires on the BMW I traded in for my Y. Expensive, stiffer ride, ruined four tires and one wheel hitting potholes. One blew out a big section of sidewall when the tire blew, at night, on the interstate, in the rain, in an area with no place to pull off, and couldn't be driven faster than 5 mph. :/

From what I understand the weight difference between run-flat and conventional is negligible these days.
Not true, look up the weight on the two tires, when I did earlier this year it was very significant unsprung weight difference.

Run flats also have a worse ride and lower performance.

Maybe to some the trade off is worth it. But there is absolutely a trade off.

Hi mate, from my understanding the weight difference can be as little as 1kg per wheel. Now when you take the weight saving of not having to carry a spare (even a space saver) that difference doesn't even rate. I'm contemplating the purchase of a Tesla and the first thing I'd do is fit run-flats because I wouldn't want my wife having to get out and attempt to change a tyre on a busy road. It's alright to say Tesla road service will come and fix it, but how long would it take them to get there and do it? I'm in a regional Australian town and heaven knows you wouldn't want your wife or kids being stuck at night for hours waiting.

My 2006 BMW came with run-flats and I continued using them for all season and winter tires until I sold the car in 2021 for my Tesla. Ditto for my other the 2013 BMW. 18 years of driving experience, no regrets and would get run-flats the minute they are available for my Tesla
I agree, did you end up putting them on your MY? Oooops! Should have read more carefully. Sorry. Surely there are run-flats available for Tesla?