Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Russia/Ukraine conflict

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@Artful Dodger Question on these bridge strikes ....the craters seem to be too small for the storm shadow. What do you think? Also, 4 different craters. I think if 1 storm shadow hit the bridge it would be a lane down. Could this be the new glide bomb?
Some folks on internet are saying that weapon fragments at the scene (of the bridge impacts) have the normal markings for the UK/France MBDA Storm Shadow / SCALP.

Of course it is possible that multiple weapon types were used.

Anyway, there is clearly a target list being worked on ............ :

and worked on at all levels

meanwhile collateral damage is the Swiss arms industry

Not a good look.

Zelensky signs law banning import and distribution of Russian books

In May 2023, a petition was launched asking for an immediate signing of the bill, gathering over 26,000 signatures.
Zelensky initially responded to the petition by mentioning concerns of the Justice Ministry that the bill may violate certain articles of the Constitution. The Foreign Ministry warned that it does not comply with the EU norms on human rights.
Both ministries asked the president to veto the law, Zelensky said.
I imagine there are politics going on behind the scenes that we are not privy to. Zelensky must know this law will hurt Ukraine and help Russia. I wonder why the legislature passed it? Best case scenario this is the result of too much anti-Russia zeal in response to the ongoing war crimes and atrocities.

I'm reminded of what Barbara Lee said before Congress granted the US president a blank check to wage the "war on terror" in 2001:

Let us not become the evil we deplore.
With hindsight it's clear Lee was right (unfortunate withdrawal from Afghanistan after 20 years of war, use of torture, use of war in Iraq as justification for Russia's invasion of Ukraine, etc) The overzealous response to the 9/11 attacks hurt US interests and damaged the image of the US at home and abroad. This is probably exactly what the attackers wanted. The law signed by Zelensky is not as bad as all that but it is a step in the wrong direction.

Not a good look.

Zelensky signs law banning import and distribution of Russian books

In May 2023, a petition was launched asking for an immediate signing of the bill, gathering over 26,000 signatures.
Zelensky initially responded to the petition by mentioning concerns of the Justice Ministry that the bill may violate certain articles of the Constitution. The Foreign Ministry warned that it does not comply with the EU norms on human rights.
Both ministries asked the president to veto the law, Zelensky said.
I imagine there are politics going on behind the scenes that we are not privy to. Zelensky must know this law will hurt Ukraine and help Russia. I wonder why the legislature passed it? Best case scenario this is the result of too much anti-Russia zeal in response to the ongoing war crimes and atrocities.

I'm reminded of what Barbara Lee said before Congress granted the US president a blank check to wage the "war on terror" in 2001:

Let us not become the evil we deplore.
With hindsight it's clear Lee was right (unfortunate withdrawal from Afghanistan after 20 years of war, use of torture, use of war in Iraq as justification for Russia's invasion of Ukraine, etc) The overzealous response to the 9/11 attacks hurt US interests and damaged the image of the US at home and abroad. This is probably exactly what the attackers wanted. The law signed by Zelensky is not as bad as all that but it is a step in the wrong direction.
A more political approach would be to tax the hell out of books from Russia... And require layers and layers of red tape (and more taxes) to distribute their books. 😆

These taxes could be used to help fund repairs/defense... (in a tiny way at least)

Clear picture of whatever hit the bridge. Is that a storm shadow? I have no idea. Neat video
It was possibly four things from two separate directions, or possibly two things from two separate directions. More info regarding the camera system is required to be sure on that point (2x2 or 2x4). I'd say the thing coming from the left is Storm Shadow in its terminal dive phase. The thing from the right I'm less sure about. The thing(s) from the right might be aiming at an adjacent target - is this the location with an old and new bridge side by side and both got hit ? The time on target is spot on within a second, just as if the British had trained them - one does it this way to saturate any enemy defences (PDMS etc). A few decades ago a 2-3 sec window was allowable, but with modern PDMS that window closes to 1 sec or so against a good opponent. Ideally obliquely crossing. Nicely done.

EDIT - the things on the right might be crossing birds. They are somewhat upset by the flashbang.

1687470616553.png

1687470656032.png

Attachments

• 1687470558235.png
    1687470558235.png
    143.2 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:
It was possibly four things from two separate directions, or possibly two things from two separate directions. More info regarding the camera system is required to be sure on that point (2x2 or 2x4). I'd say the thing coming from the left is Storm Shadow in its terminal dive phase. The thing from the right I'm less sure about. The time on target is spot on within a second, just as if the British had trained them - one does it this way to saturate any enemy defences (PDMS etc). A few decades ago a 2-3 sec window was allowable, but with modern PDMS that window closes to 1 sec or so against a good opponent. Nicely done.

View attachment 949950

View attachment 949951

You beat me to it. I was just posting screen shots of this when you posted.

The Storm Shadows are often carried in pairs, so it makes sense there were pairs of missiles in the strike. the Russians have released pictures of what they claim are Storm Shadow parts.

The supply situation in the south is going to be getting pretty bad within a couple of days.

Putin certainly has gotten Germany's attention.

Germany to meet NATO's 2 percent spending goal 'starting next year'

German Chancellor Olaf Scholz (SPD) addressed the Bundestag on Thursday morning. Photo: picture alliance/dpa | Kay Nietfeld
Germany will meet NATO's two-percent spending target from next year, Chancellor Olaf Scholz said Thursday, after Russia's war in Ukraine sparked a major policy shift on defence in Berlin.

"We will ensure that the Bundeswehr finally receives the equipment it needs... also by spending two percent of our GDP on defence for the first time in decades, starting next year," Scholz told lawmakers in parliament.

A nice bi-partisan effort in the US Senate.

Just in case the tweet doesn’t copy, here is the byline description. “US Senators @LindseyGrahamSC (R) and @SenBlumenthal (D) introduced a bipartisan resolution declaring Russia's use of nuclear weapons or destruction of the occupied Zaporizhia Nuclear Powerplant in Ukraine to be an attack on NATO requiring the invocation of NATO Article 5.” Posted by Igor Sushko

Was a clip from CNN

@Artful Dodger Question on these bridge strikes ....the craters seem to be too small for the storm shadow. What do you think? Also, 4 different craters. I think if 1 storm shadow hit the bridge it would be a lane down. Could this be the new glide bomb?

Damage seems entirely consistent with a single hit from a 1,000 lb bomb. Here's some specs:

WarheadMultistage BROACH penetration warhead
Warhead weight450 kilograms (990 lb)

From the link above: Bomb Royal Ordnance Augmented Charge (BROACH)

"The two stage warhead is made up from an initial shaped charge, which cuts a passage through armour, concrete, earth, etc., allowing a larger following warhead to penetrate inside the target. The weapon is designed to allow a cruise missile to achieve the degree of hard-target penetration formerly only possible by the use of laser-guided gravity bombs"​

A nice bi-partisan effort in the US Senate.

Just in case the tweet doesn’t copy, here is the byline description. “US Senators @LindseyGrahamSC (R) and @SenBlumenthal (D) introduced a bipartisan resolution declaring Russia's use of nuclear weapons or destruction of the occupied Zaporizhia Nuclear Powerplant in Ukraine to be an attack on NATO requiring the invocation of NATO Article 5.” Posted by Igor Sushko

Was a clip from CNN

I'm afraid russians will see this as a way to save face: "we didn't lose to pesky Ukraine, but all of NATO".

Damage seems entirely consistent with a single hit from a 1,000 lb bomb. Here's some specs:

WarheadMultistage BROACH penetration warhead
Warhead weight450 kilograms (990 lb)

From the link above: Bomb Royal Ordnance Augmented Charge (BROACH)

"The two stage warhead is made up from an initial shaped charge, which cuts a passage through armour, concrete, earth, etc., allowing a larger following warhead to penetrate inside the target. The weapon is designed to allow a cruise missile to achieve the degree of hard-target penetration formerly only possible by the use of laser-guided gravity bombs"​

My partner saw something from an engineer who said that the explosion went through the deck of the bridge and damaged the support column which will require the column to be replaced. Russia may end up patching the bridge deck and put the bridge back in service, but that column will probably wail with a couple of weeks of regular use.