Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

S Plaid vs P3M

Plaid or P3M?

• Sell a kidney! Get the Plaid!

Votes: 2 40.0%
  • Get the Model 3 Performance! Enjoy the extra money!

Votes: 3 60.0%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey everybody!

Question for the track-day and AutoX fiends on here.
I'm a Tesla employee, and am getting ready to buy my first Tesla.
I know a lot about the cars from the creation side... but weirdly don't know nearly as much about the ownership experience.

I'd had my heart set on getting a Performance Model 3 for a while. The new Track Mode on the Plaid, however, has me wondering if that might not be a better car to get.
I don't love the non-variable steering of the Plaid, but otherwise think it's an absolute beautiful beast.

If I get the Plaid, I'd have to wait longer and sell some stock; if I get the model 3, I'd be able to buy it sooner without liquidating some precious options.

Thoughts?

The new S base model (formerly MSLR) is as quick as an M3P. Quicker even at highway speeds from what I've seen. Is it getting Track Mode too? If so how about that one if you really like the S?

The Plaid is amazing, but are there other more important things you had planned for those stock options e.g. put them towards buying a (first | bigger | nicer ) home? If so I'd stick with that plan. There's more important things in life for most of us than having the very fastest car.

Also have you driven an M3P and a new S? Power aside, they're going to feel very different. Do you like bigger cars or smaller more nimble-feeling cars? Are you a power junkie or are all these cars quick enough for you?

I own an S P85 and an M3P, and I've driven many many S over the years as loaners. I love driving the M3P much more than any S, and it has nothing to do with which is faster. M3 just feels so much smaller, more nimble, and tossable in the twisties, and that's the fun driving I like to do, I'm not into drag racing or street racing no matter how fast my car is. The extra wide new S and slow ratio yoke seem all wrong for the majority of my driving these days (narrow twisty rural roads, and also city driving). BUT I haven't actually driven a new yoke S yet, still waiting for them to be available as demos or loaners...

S wins hands down as a family car though, great for hauling lots of stuff and/or people. It was our only car for many years. A 3 sedan wouldn't really cut it for that.

Last edited:
Reactions: avesraggiana
If you liquidate TSLA options to buy a Plaid... that will be one of the most expensive Plaid's ever.

Keep the options. Buy a M3P. If you were going to sell options anyway to reward yourself with something... ok get the Plaid.

From a track perspective, I'd get the M3P as well. Nothing beats lightness on track. People will be able to lap a Plaid very very quickly, but the consumables (brake pads, tires, etc) are going to be murder. Physics is physics.

Reactions: goin2drt and tm1v2
If you liquidate TSLA options to buy a Plaid... that will be one of the most expensive Plaid's ever.

Adding to this being an expensive Plaid, liquidating stock options will most likely change your tax situation -- perhaps push you into the Alternative Minimum Tax. You might want to talk to your tax advisor before doing this.

But yeah.... if you already accounted for the additional taxes and feel like rewarding yourself, either one is a good buy.