Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New to TMC and would love feedback on ordering a Model S Plaid

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm close to pulling the trigger on a Model S Plaid. Right now I'm deep in the research phase and reading tonnes of reviews and forum posts (for me the is almost as fun as buying a new car). I'm mostly coming from the ICE world with a Jaguar F-Type R, BMW M6 and Range Rovers. I have one EV - A Mercedes EQS SUV which I love except for the charging network...

A few questions I'd love feedback on:

1) I'm a bit worried about the lack of a HUD - I'm so used to driving with a heads up display that I'm worried it will bother me without one on the Tesla - anyone made the transition and dealt with it? My other cars all have it so I'm very used to not having to look anywhere for speed, music, etc.

2) I've settled on Ultra Red for exterior with 21" wheels but I'm on the fence between the white and cream interior. I like the way cream looks (at least in pictures) but see lots of great feedback on white with the carbon fibre. I know it's a personal choice but always like to hear opinions.

3) Planning to get the regular steering wheel and Enhanced autopilot.

4) Planning to order mid to late Oct so I get a 2024 VIN

Anything else to consider?

Thanks!

Reactions: easyev
Just my two cents. I am going from a BMW M4 convertible to MSP this weekend. My needs have changed and I don't want a convertible and I want something more practical.

1) HUD-Can't answer it yet, but it was a factor in my decision. It was a top issue for me too. In the end, I didn't see this as a big enough factor not to move forward. We'll see, but I am expecting it not to be a big deal long term.

2) You may want to research the tires. There's lots of stuff here and on youtube. I went with 19 inch. I hear (did not confirm live) that the ride quality is substantially better and I wanted the extra range. Also, I hear they wear out faster. It sounds like the only difference is cosmetic. Also, there's a ton of options aftermarket to use the money on too.

3) I did black on black. I think this is all personal preference. FYI-lots of folks complain about the paint being low quality. So, if this is important to you maybe explore a PPF or other option. Personally, I don't care that much about some chips.

4) I like the steering wheel too. To me, I would do either. Really a personal preference.

5) I get that but I opted NOT to wait for the new 2024 VIN due to price. If you are following things, the last price drop was insane. Who knows what the price will be even next week when the new quarter starts? Its even possible that it goes down more, but I'm betting that it goes back up. I don't think with Teslas the model year matters that much.

Of course, all of this are just my opinions and thoughts. I hope it helps!

HUD-- I have four cars, one with HUD (X6M). It's certainly nice to have in that car, but it's far from necessary. I have TACC in my Tesla which is great to have, but I manage just fine without it in my other cars. I wouldn't get too hung up on HUD. There's too many other great reasons to own a Tesla -- once you get one, you'll never notice it doesn't have HUD.

Color-- If you're looking for opinions, if *I* were buying an MSP, 100% I'd go for the white/CF interior. I find cream colored interiors just look like white interiors that have yellowed over time. But that's just me.

Reactions: mm9351
I went from a lifetime of BMWs to all Tesla (Model S) in 2012 so I can not comment on current transition.

What I can comment on is my Plaid has been like getting a Liter Class sport bike when I was 17; I have been a kid in a candy store. Do not bother with Tesla's expensive 21" option. Instead, buy 20s using the same PS4s. You will loose about 10 lbs per corner of unsprung weight (a portion of which is also rotational inertia) which shows up in acceleration response and ride quality. It significantly reduces the "thud" of heavy wheels/tires. The "about" in the ten pounds depends on choice of rim. I use cheap rims as I tend to bend them from time to time. These are Nurburgring by TSW.

It is a shame the CCM brakes are not available initial order. I just had them installed for a significant reduction in unsprung and rotational inertia. I'm just getting used to them and have yet to really understand all of the change. It seemed a bit foolish to spend so much on brakes given I literally never use them (one pedal driving) but I live with ride quality and handling every single day and, for that, it was worth every penny.
Left Front.JPG

Love these people that are clean enough to buy white interiors....... I just had a white interior loaner for two weeks and I brought it back with two marks in the seats. Not knowing what to clean them with for fear of doing damage, I simply returned the car with the smudges and asked them to bill me if necessary :(. Also had jeans blue transfer to a friends seat after one drive to lunch. He said it cleans right off. I guess I'm just tooooo messy for nice things.

1) I'm a bit worried about the lack of a HUD - I'm so used to driving with a heads up display that I'm worried it will bother me without one on the Tesla - anyone made the transition and dealt with it? My other cars all have it so I'm very used to not having to look anywhere for speed, music, etc.

2) I've settled on Ultra Red for exterior with 21" wheels but I'm on the fence between the white and cream interior. I like the way cream looks (at least in pictures) but see lots of great feedback on white with the carbon fibre. I know it's a personal choice but always like to hear opinions.

You really need to go for a test drive and see what the S display looks like as I think the S still has the traditional display in front of the driver. Additionally, you should be able to see what the interior color looks like as they should have a car with the color for you are thinking about on the lot, maybe not an S.

Unless you need to roll the EAP into a loan, consider subscribing to EAP instead of buying it. If you then decide you are getting value you can buy it later. Note also you will need to own the car for about 5-years to make purchasing a better choice, since EAP is currently $99 / month versus a one-time cost of $6,000.

Reactions: bruce3
You really need to go for a test drive and see what the S display looks like as I think the S still has the traditional display in front of the driver. Additionally, you should be able to see what the interior color looks like as they should have a car with the color for you are thinking about on the lot, maybe not an S.

Unless you need to roll the EAP into a loan, consider subscribing to EAP instead of buying it. If you then decide you are getting value you can buy it later. Note also you will need to own the car for about 5-years to make purchasing a better choice, since EAP is currently $99 / month versus a one-time cost of $6,000.

Yes. I missed this one. I'm going to do this too.

Just my two cents. I am going from a BMW M4 convertible to MSP this weekend. My needs have changed and I don't want a convertible and I want something more practical.

1) HUD-Can't answer it yet, but it was a factor in my decision. It was a top issue for me too. In the end, I didn't see this as a big enough factor not to move forward. We'll see, but I am expecting it not to be a big deal long term.

2) You may want to research the tires. There's lots of stuff here and on youtube. I went with 19 inch. I hear (did not confirm live) that the ride quality is substantially better and I wanted the extra range. Also, I hear they wear out faster. It sounds like the only difference is cosmetic. Also, there's a ton of options aftermarket to use the money on too.

3) I did black on black. I think this is all personal preference. FYI-lots of folks complain about the paint being low quality. So, if this is important to you maybe explore a PPF or other option. Personally, I don't care that much about some chips.

4) I like the steering wheel too. To me, I would do either. Really a personal preference.

5) I get that but I opted NOT to wait for the new 2024 VIN due to price. If you are following things, the last price drop was insane. Who knows what the price will be even next week when the new quarter starts? Its even possible that it goes down more, but I'm betting that it goes back up. I don't think with Teslas the model year matters that much.

Thanks for the feedback! Will do some more research on the tires. I was thinking of getting the track pack later on so maybe it is better to stick with the 19s for now.

I went from a lifetime of BMWs to all Tesla (Model S) in 2012 so I can not comment on current transition.

What I can comment on is my Plaid has been like getting a Liter Class sport bike when I was 17; I have been a kid in a candy store. Do not bother with Tesla's expensive 21" option. Instead, buy 20s using the same PS4s. You will loose about 10 lbs per corner of unsprung weight (a portion of which is also rotational inertia) which shows up in acceleration response and ride quality. It significantly reduces the "thud" of heavy wheels/tires. The "about" in the ten pounds depends on choice of rim. I use cheap rims as I tend to bend them from time to time. These are Nurburgring by TSW.

It is a shame the CCM brakes are not available initial order. I just had them installed for a significant reduction in unsprung and rotational inertia. I'm just getting used to them and have yet to really understand all of the change. It seemed a bit foolish to spend so much on brakes given I literally never use them (one pedal driving) but I live with ride quality and handling every single day and, for that, it was worth every penny.
View attachment 978112
Nice! Those wheels look great. Thanks for the advice - will do some more research re wheels.

Unfortunately they don't have any S or X with cream interior for me to see live. I'll definitely test drive before I buy. Makes sense re EAP. Good tip.

I had a HUD on my Land Rover and did like it, but do not miss it on my X. With the yoke wheel it’s easy to see the “gauges” and with AP engaged it’s not an issue for me to take my eyes off the road for a couple of seconds to, say, look at a map (which a HUD doesn’t provide anyway). As for upholstery color, I’ve had white on my former 3 and my current X and I like it a lot. I never had stains nor blue jean transfer, nor have I ever had to treat the upholstery with any protective product.

1) I'm a bit worried about the lack of a HUD - I'm not. Never use them. They distract me from detecting road debris and with excellent auto pilot and big screens, zero value to me.

2) I've settled on Ultra Red for exterior with 21" wheels but I'm on the fence between the white and cream interior. - Can't help you here. I like black. Like my heart. You need the 21" Arachnids to outfit these puppies which is a must for me. People love to suggest the smaller 19s, but they look like bike tires from the rear. 295s are really the minimum to look proper and get more mechanical grip to ground.

71590859797__A0EA61F4-592B-4475-BD0A-C4FBC0E3458F.jpeg

3) Planning to get the regular steering wheel and Enhanced autopilot. - I like the yoke. It's unique to Tesla. It's daring. Looks awesome. I optioned mine with Enhanced Autopilot. I can't imagine having to disable auto pilot to change lanes. No regrets.

Enjoy!

I'm close to pulling the trigger on a Model S Plaid. Right now I'm deep in the research phase and reading tonnes of reviews and forum posts (for me the is almost as fun as buying a new car). I'm mostly coming from the ICE world with a Jaguar F-Type R, BMW M6 and Range Rovers. I have one EV - A Mercedes EQS SUV which I love except for the charging network...

A few questions I'd love feedback on:

4) Planning to order mid to late Oct so I get a 2024 VIN

Anything else to consider?

Thanks!
1) I don’t think HUD is a Big deal being without.

2) I have 21 inch wheels right now - they’re hybrid forged (not fully forged) and I’ve bent the hell out of all of them this last winter in potholes. So it’s the last time I ever go with 21’s and it’s the last time I ever buy non-forged wheels. My next car will have 20’s.

3) I have white on white / black interior with carbon fiber trim. It looks stunning. To me, that ultra red makes me think of a Mazda, and scratches show on glossy red like crazy.

5) I would wait for 2024 due to trade or resale value. Despite what anyone says, a newer year car has more value.

Reactions: ginmqi
You may end up with a 2023 MY if you order too soon.

Recommend waiting until November/December to be safer as Tesla will likely "find" a car that matches your spec and it will be a 2023 MY.

Round steering wheel: excellent choice.

I don't think you can install a Track Package with the 19" wheels--not enough room for the brakes IIRC.

We have both cream and white on our MS's. Cream seems easier to clean and remains so longer, FWIW, but the white isn't hard to clean at all, and certainly reflects more heat (or so it would appear).

Reactions: AMPd
Sub’d to this thread to read more inputs. I’ve had an M3LR (w/AB) and M3P. They were fantastic cars and make me want to consider a MSP. I think I’m going to wait for the refresh in ‘24/‘25. Hoping they make midnight cherry red available, make a little more range, and update the rear tail lights by then.

If I were buying now, I’d get 19” wheels and save money for a set of aftermarket’s. Black interior and ultra red. OP….have you looked at current available inventory? There might be a car in your configuration near you.

Agreed... I had FSD on my 2018 M3 AWD+ free for a month and have been in several friends with FSD and think it is terrible as feels like letting a confused 13 y/o (although one with a very good attention span) drive my car... Now you can try subscription to EAP or FSD both of which IMO are worth less than the $2k I could have gotten FSD for at one point Tesla needed some cash. Autopilot gives most utility to me though it bothers me that it disengages abruptly when I put turn signal on (mustang Mach E and even a cheap MG suv I rented in Germany so much better as they just let you take over after turn signal into back in a lane and seamlessly re engage).

Other things to think about (test drive!) : turn signal buttons, AI vision park assist in new V4 cars, AI rain sensing wipers, lack of proper blind spot monitoring are all worst in class by a country mile. Park assist without ultrasound sensors is completely useless for the front of the model S, so I use a noodle in my garage, and usually end up leaving 1-2' space between my nose and any obstacle.

Though the Plaid feels completely different in plaid mode under heavy throttle than a regular S, the steering and handling are very lame (coming from a Taycan 4S with light years better feel) UNLESS you enable track mode then it really handles more like a proper sports car. Unfortunately track mode adds a lot of fan noise, gets disabled every time you exit the car, and loses navigation so isn't really practical for daily driving. I'm hoping for maybe a mod to allow this, meanwhile I can drive boring lame handling or loud... But at least both modes are super quick!

View attachment 978112

What size 20" tires did you get? I haven't found PS4 tires with acoustic foam in the Tesla track pack 20" size:
  • 2x 20X10J, Zero-G wheels with 285/35R20 Goodyear Supercar 3R tires (front)
  • 2x 20X11J, Zero-G wheels with 305/30R20 Goodyear Supercar 3R tires (rear)

Square...... I rotate and the balance at the limit is good.
I've got a pic somewhere of the traction circle in track mode with 1.1G lateral sustained. Whatever they did with the refresh to change the roll centers did wonders for mechanical grip.

30k miles per set.... Much better than the 20k I used to get with my previous S with longer upper a-arms to reduce camber.

Square...... I rotate and the balance at the limit is good.
I've got a pic somewhere of the traction circle in track mode with 1.1G lateral sustained. Whatever they did with the refresh to change the roll centers did wonders for mechanical grip.

30k miles per set.... Much better than the 20k I used to get with my previous S with longer upper a-arms to reduce camber.
Nice. Where'd you get the rims?