Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

S/X Too Big for Europe? (out of main)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wait, what? Tesla still isn't selling Model S/X outside the core markets. What the heck are you saying?
What are you saying?
No one (hyperbole) outside of NA and (small slice of Chinese markets) wants cars as big as S/X, nor can they afford them.
I am trying to get rid of my S to get model 3 and I am in NA... It's not surprising that S/X bit the dust in Europe now that M3 is available.

What are you saying?
No one (hyperbole) outside of NA and (small slice of Chinese markets) wants cars as big as S/X, nor can they afford them.
I am trying to get rid of my S to get model 3 and I am in NA... It's not surprising that S/X bit the dust in Europe now that M3 is available.

Maybe true, but then how does Mercedes sell S class and BMW sell the 7 series in Europe? I'm also not sure the slice is that small in China. They tend to like the bigger cars there because it's a status symbol... And the Chinese people are all about status. I was there for almost a month and this was what I noticed the most.

Maybe true, but then how does Mercedes sell S class and BMW sell the 7 series in Europe? I'm also not sure the slice is that small in China. They tend to like the bigger cars there because it's a status symbol... And the Chinese people are all about status. I was there for almost a month and this was what I noticed the most.

Well, it was a hyperbole. Of course they sell some in their home market where MB S and BMW 7 are ultimate status symbols. Similarly in China.

Point is, markets outside of NA are relatively limited for large cars/SUVs, and Tesla already sells S/X in Europe and China. The rest of untapped markets aren't significant and rich enough to matter (much) for Model S/X demand, as opposed to what @neroden claimed.

Well, it was a hyperbole. Of course they sell some in their home market where MB S and BMW 7 are ultimate status symbols. Similarly in China.

Point is, markets outside of NA are relatively limited for large cars/SUVs, and Tesla already sells S/X in Europe and China. The rest of untapped markets aren't significant and rich enough to matter (much) for Model S/X demand, as opposed to what @neroden claimed.

Half of Europe is not covered, they don't want you to buy S/X cars there, you can buy but approx 20% more expensive than in other EU countries (so this means we don't want to sell cars to you)

Russia is a big market Mercedes Benz sells around 80 000 cars annually

Latin America is not covered

I would disagree, Solid state exists today and is mass produced. And still freaking expensive.
There are multiple vendors selling solid state batteries.

can you send a link of company selling them?

What are you saying?

Please stop the BS about the size of S / X being to big for the European market. I read that over and over but it's just not true for the majority of the addressable market. Granted in the US everything is wider, broader and larger. That does not mean that the infrastructure of most of Europe (speaking in geographical terms) is not suited for bigger cars. S and X are just fine in most of the cases. Medieval town (and a ton of other situations) centers excluded, but there cars in general are not allowed. See the sales numbers of Cayenne, Macan, XC90, RangeRover, A7 etc.

I am with you, that the 3 is a stiff competition to the S (not sure about the X) but thats because its just a superior car for half the price. When Raven is out, I would expect sales of S / X to accelerate again.

Please stop the BS about the size of S / X being to big for the European market. I read that over and over but it's just not true for the majority of the addressable market. Granted in the US everything is wider, broader and larger. That does not mean that the infrastructure of most of Europe (speaking in geographical terms) is not suited for bigger cars. S and X are just fine in most of the cases. Medieval town (and a ton of other situations) centers excluded, but there cars in general are not allowed. See the sales numbers of Cayenne, Macan, XC90, RangeRover, A7 etc.

I am with you, that the 3 is a stiff competition to the S (not sure about the X) but thats because its just a superior car for half the price. When Raven is out, I would expect sales of S / X to accelerate again.

Hmmmm, I had an XC90 before my Model S and it was a toy by comparison, now I have a Model X and Model S look like they're built for midgets... So yes, I find a Model X way, way, way too big, big it's the only Tesla suitable for our needs. Model Y will be better, so wifey will get one in a couple of years, then I can sell the MX for either a R2 or a fully tricked-out M3.

In fact I will avoid using my car in many situations in Brussels because I'm worried about the width of the streets or I don't think I'll find suitable parking. Looking forward to the day when I can drive something smaller.

That being said, MXis a great car, and big fun to drive for what it is, don't get me wrong...

I would have bought a Model X years ago, but wouldn't be able to drive it comfortably around the country roads around the North of Spain, or fit it easily into the underground parkings.

My Model 3 is fine although I am a little worried that the Model Y we have on order will be a little uncomfortable, I think it only just fits in our garage

• Helpful
Reactions: Brando
rural UK here. S is stupidly big for our roads. Would have got a top-end 3 if one was available at the time.
On a recent visit I noticed a lot of larger vehicles and SUVs but street parking is a real problem.

iu

• Disagree
Reactions: Wooloomooloo
On a recent visit I noticed a lot of larger vehicles and SUVs but street parking is a real problem.

iu

Just as a point of interest and to enhance your general knowledge - in Belgium it is illegal to park on the side of the street/road with the car facing the flow of traffic - so in the photo above, if it were Belgium then the orange Peugeot and the blue Ford world receive a traffic violation ticket. It's actually quite a good and common-sense rule, unlike some others I could mention.

Price of petrol in Europe is at least 2 times higher than in the USA.
Hence the preference for smaller cars that consume less .
With electricity , larger cars are much more affordable and size
Less of an issue.

Price of petrol in Europe is at least 2 times higher than in the USA.
Hence the preference for smaller cars that consume less .
With electricity , larger cars are much more affordable and size
Less of an issue.
that really does not make the road by my house (which is already too narrow for 2 cars to pass) any wider. EVERYTHING is based on smaller vehicles, including parking spaces and even entire multi storey car parks. Having a wide car in the UK is a pain in the rear.

that really does not make the road by my house (which is already too narrow for 2 cars to pass) any wider. EVERYTHING is based on smaller vehicles, including parking spaces and even entire multi storey car parks. Having a wide car in the UK is a pain in the rear.
Rolls Royce , Bentley and Range Rovers seem to do ok in England , any chance
They will shrink their size ?