Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

S90D when to finally let go and sell it .. before warranty runs out

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Had my car from new in 2017. It’s SC01 free transferable charging. Extended warranty and battery warranty until July 2025.

I keep flipping between keeping this car forever or selling it now there isn’t a new S coming. Trying to work out if I do sell it, when that is. Looking at the market, cars loose money closer to battery warranty expiration and then fully drop at least £10k. Which makes sense.

So feels like I need to sell with at least one years warranty but maybe even now to maximise its value.

As for replacing it… Lotus looks like the closest with the SUV or hatchback saloon.

As for replacing it… Lotus looks like the closest with the SUV or hatchback saloon.

Lotus looks really nice until you look in the boot. It has lost so much potential boot space with the high floor and no/minimal storage beneath of note. Many I am sure will miss that when moving on from a Tesla. It certainly seems to be a common thing with current crop of desirable EVs. A couple of other EVs that I have looked at were similarly packaged. Not sure why some are struggling in packaging in boot and under bonnet.

Good morning.

I had a 2016 MS90 D for 6.5 years.

I chose Merc EQS. It’s a large hatchback, plenty of range and a very comfortable car. Sophisticated technology but diff to Tesla UX.

AutoTrader will show you plenty of examples. My wishlist included HUD and heated wheel so I chose a particular configuration (but I don’t like the 22” wheels that came with it.

Test drive and let us know

Tony

Free supercharging? I would keep it, keep a slush fund of £1k per year for any repairs.
Buying a new car will simply cost you depreciation. Even a new Lotus EV will still drop £20k in the first year.
Yes free supercharging. £1k slush fund fine, but a replacement refurb battery looks like £10-£15k. Of course, so far not seen any 90D packs going pop. They all seem to the the previous gen 85.

You are spot on about a new car loosing a lot first gear.

My other worry is charge speed and range with my 6.5 year old car. E-bikes it’s still holding 140kw, it soon flattened out. The next gen S will go at least a hundred miles more and charge a lot quicker (higher and more sustained Kw)

Good morning.

I had a 2016 MS90 D for 6.5 years.

I chose Merc EQS. It’s a large hatchback, plenty of range and a very comfortable car. Sophisticated technology but diff to Tesla UX.

AutoTrader will show you plenty of examples. My wishlist included HUD and heated wheel so I chose a particular configuration (but I don’t like the 22” wheels that came with it.

Test drive and let us know

Tony
I did not know the EQS js a hatchback. I’ll take a look. As assume used now are priced well.

Lotus looks really nice until you look in the boot. It has lost so much potential boot space with the high floor and no/minimal storage beneath of note. Many I am sure will miss that when moving on from a Tesla. It certainly seems to be a common thing with current crop of desirable EVs. A couple of other EVs that I have looked at were similarly packaged. Not sure why some are struggling in packaging in boot and under bonnet.
No doubt the S is an amazing car, especially the coupe styling with the SUV storage (inc under floor). I’ve yet to see a lotus Eletra, but it does have circa 670l of boot storage which is pretty good compared to the S.

No doubt the S is an amazing car, especially the coupe styling with the SUV storage (inc under floor). I’ve yet to see a lotus Eletra, but it does have circa 670l of boot storage which is pretty good compared to the S.
Unfortunately still a 100l shy in the boot, and 100 miles short in range. EQS is a bit too chintzy for me and the screens pick up too many reflections due to being poorly angled.

OP, if you like your MS, consider a Raven. More efficiency, range, a somewhat better quality interior and a quieter and more controlled ride. And a ludicrous does a nice imitation of a Plaid off the line.

Reactions: TMPDB and Olle
My other worry is charge speed and range with my 6.5 year old car. E-bikes it’s still holding 140kw, it soon flattened out. The next gen S will go at least a hundred miles more and charge a lot quicker (higher and more sustained Kw)

How many times has charging speed or range been for you in the current car?

I've done 80k in total in our 75D X with multiple trips to Europe. I have to say I can think of two times when more range or charging speed was useful!

If money was no concern I quite like the looks of the new Mercs, but given the X costs essentially nothing more than insurance+MOT to own/run we are keeping our till dies......Having to pay for SC usage will be painful when the time comes though:(.

Tangent, but ... if you were going to replace it with a Tesla, and Trade-In, you could run the warranty to the wire ... and maybe they'd bring a RHD Model-S to UK shores by then ...

£1k slush fund fine, but a replacement refurb battery looks like £10-£15k.

Any warranty on the new battery? You'd then have a "new car", sort of :), for that money. Yes, painful to have to pay, but only 50% of your 1st year depreciation on replacement New Car.

consider a Raven

I agree. I had a P90D, replaced with a (non-Performance) Raven and I love it. Suspension is better, and it has more range.

And a ludicrous does a nice imitation of a Plaid off the line.

The cooking-version is (from memory) 3.5s 0-60 ... but it scrabbles a bit, compared to performance models.

The next gen S will go at least a hundred miles more and charge a lot quicker (higher and more sustained Kw)

My Raven will hold 145 kW to 40%, and then pretty much straight line to 90kW @ 70%, 40kW @ 90%, and just shy of 300 miles at motorway speed 100%-to-0%

Reactions: TMPDB
Tangent, but ... if you were going to replace it with a Tesla, and Trade-In, you could run the warranty to the wire ... and maybe they'd bring a RHD Model-S to UK shores by then ...

Any warranty on the new battery? You'd then have a "new car", sort of :), for that money. Yes, painful to have to pay, but only 50% of your 1st year depreciation on replacement New Car.

I agree. I had a P90D, replaced with a (non-Performance) Raven and I love it. Suspension is better, and it has more range.

The cooking-version is (from memory) 3.5s 0-60 ... but it scrabbles a bit, compared to performance models.

My Raven will hold 145 kW to 40%, and then pretty much straight line to 90kW @ 70%, 40kW @ 90%, and just shy of 300 miles at motorway speed 100%-to-0%
That's an improvement for sure, would say my S90D is 140kW to 60kW then a declining line to 60kw @70%. However, the Raven is some way off the latest packs with Tesla packs at 240/250kW

Hmm, must admit had discounted the Raven due to my comment

I've done 80k in total in our 75D X with multiple trips to Europe. I have to say I can think of two times when more range or charging speed was useful!

If money was no concern I quite like the looks of the new Mercs, but given the X costs essentially nothing more than insurance+MOT to own/run we are keeping our till dies......Having to pay for SC usage will be painful when the time comes though:(.
I think this is the tipping point, do I keep it until it dies, or sell now. Its range (charge speed/pack capacity) will only get worse is my biggest worry but yes its now a v cheap car to run. Well unless the pack goes, plus all the maintenance needed (can see that on the 2014 cars that need new air suspension components etc.

Not many I guess, but does need super careful planning e.g. we stop for a meal. A splash and dash for 10-15 mins does not ever put enough in unless you can guarantee a charge overnight (e.g. hotel) or back at home.

Unfortunately still a 100l shy in the boot, and 100 miles short in range. EQS is a bit too chintzy for me and the screens pick up too many reflections due to being poorly angled.

OP, if you like your MS, consider a Raven. More efficiency, range, a somewhat better quality interior and a quieter and more controlled ride. And a ludicrous does a nice imitation of a Plaid off the line.
A raven is something I had discounted (without much thought, as did not feel the change would be enough). it would buy me 2-3 more years I suppose, but surely I would be better off just sticking with my old S90D.

A splash and dash for 10-15 mins does not ever put enough in unless you can guarantee a charge overnight (e.g. hotel) or back at home.

When we drive to Alps we charge for more like 20 minutes - and then try to arrive "empty" for Lunch, and in the hour we are stationary get a 100% charge. This is the return journey (i.e. last leg is in UK), and the 12 noon stop is lunch

alpssoc-gif.782913

surely I would be better off just sticking with my old S90D.

What's the price differential to Trade against a 2nd hand Raven?

If, say, £10K that's the cost of the battery, out of warranty, and you get the newer bits ...

A raven is something I had discounted (without much thought, as did not feel the change would be enough). it would buy me 2-3 more years I suppose, but surely I would be better off just sticking with my old S90D.
Certainly that’s the sensible choice.
But I came from a late 2016 MS (and a 2014 before that), and the idea of my perfect daily driver / road trip car was the MS with more refinement and enough range for overnight stops only -hence the Raven. We hate daytime public charging for the occasional queues, the non-Tesla riff-raff and mostly for the crappy food options. A Raven MS gets us to our overnight charging stop, allowing us to stop at a nice pub on the way without making much of a plan. And Ludicrous is a nice topping.

BTW, if you do go for one - look for the Plus (version H) battery which has an additional 10 KwHr for driving.

Last edited:
Certainly that’s the sensible choice.
But I came from a late 2016 MS (and a 2014 before that), and the idea of my perfect daily driver / road trip car was the MS with more refinement and enough range for overnight stops only -hence the Raven. We hate daytime public charging for the occasional queues, the non-Tesla riff-raff and mostly for the crappy food options. A Raven MS gets us to our overnight charging stop, allowing us to stop at a nice pub on the way without making much of a plan. And Ludicrous is a nice topping.

BTW, if you do go for one - look for the Plus (version H) battery which has an additional 10 KwHr for driving.

Interesting, and of all cars suggested, the S is still the one I prefer. if I am going for a P100D or Raven Performance , the Plus still only has a 100kWh battery, not 110?

The EQS looks ok, the standard model is far slower and the AMG model have a good way to fall.

Interesting, and of all cars suggested, the S is still the one I prefer. if I am going for a P100D or Raven Performance , the Plus still only has a 100kWh battery, not 110?
To clarify - this does not refer to the Ludicrous plus power setting, but the Range Plus battery version. The latter has 103.9kwhr usable for driving. 30-40 additional miles in my experience. One of the US auto mags, who test at steady 75 mph, got 320 miles (and 423 miles at 65 mph) on one instead of 270 on the 100D

To illustrate my point, we drove 290 miles without charging in the dead of winter to St. Andrews over Christmas last year and arrived with 10%, skipping all the queued-up chargers on the M6N during the holiday period. As to why we vacationed in Scotland in winter is a story for another day.....

Last edited:
Reactions: TMPDB
Earlier this year I replaced a MY Performance with a 2016 Model S (P85D). I much prefer the S as a daily driver and the free supercharging is an underestimated bonus. Granted, I'm nervous on the battery but I'll probably put the money aside and hope for another 5 years of life on it.

Raven is tempting but I quite like driving a cheaper car and I guess depreciation/battery refurb will probably even out.

To clarify - this does not refer to the Ludicrous plus power setting, but the Range Plus battery version. The latter has 103.9kwhr usable for driving. 30-40 additional miles in my experience. One of the US auto mags, who test at steady 75 mph, got 320 miles (and 423 miles at 65 mph) on one instead of 270 on the 100D

To illustrate my point, we drove 290 miles without charging in the dead of winter to St. Andrews over Christmas last year and arrived with 10%, skipping all the queued-up chargers on the M6N during the holiday period. As to why we vacationed in Scotland in winter is a story for another day.....
So is the long range or performance model? That is amazing winter range, I am probably 190-200 miles in the S90D on 21" winters
Earlier this year I replaced a MY Performance with a 2016 Model S (P85D). I much prefer the S as a daily driver and the free supercharging is an underestimated bonus. Granted, I'm nervous on the battery but I'll probably put the money aside and hope for another 5 years of life on it.

Raven is tempting but I quite like driving a cheaper car and I guess depreciation/battery refurb will probably even out.
When I go on a long trip, I cannot beat that free-charging feeling. In reality, though, I do not sit at Superchargers, I add the bare minimum and always fill up at home

Last edited: