Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

S90D when to finally let go and sell it .. before warranty runs out

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When I go on a long trip, I cannot beat that free-charging feeling.

Me too! but having spend £100K on the car what I "save" on Free Supercharging is peanuts at best. Moving from P90D to Raven (and driving 30K miles p.a.)_ the increased range means that my Supercharging "free" days went from 2x a month to a couple of times a year, so even less feel-good-freebies than before! but a lot less time spent hanging-about.

As to why we vacationed in Scotland in winter is a story for another day.....

I'm guessing that was either "orders" or similar to the holiday we had in Egypt, in the equivalent of the Presidential Suite, shortly after a bunch or tourists were assassinated by armed gunmen on the beach ... cheap!

Me too! but having spend £100K on the car what I "save" on Free Supercharging is peanuts at best. Moving from P90D to Raven (and driving 30K miles p.a.)_ the increased range means that my Supercharging "free" days went from 2x a month to a couple of times a year, so even less feel-good-freebies than before! but a lot less time spent hanging-about.
Which model did you move to from the P90D?

Definitely consider whether they might flip on a rhd new S. I always put an invisible (right now) after any Tesla announcement. If it suits them to change their mind they will.

OTOH, Edinburgh service centre had a new LHD S and X in a few weeks back, so maybe not.

Even as a 3 owner, a late raven S tempts me. Get the hatch and amazing air suspension without having to compromise and get an SUV (shudder).

Reactions: 12Pack
Which model did you move to from the P90D?

Raven (didn't bother with performance 'coz after demoing it to all my mates I didn't have much use for it. Far too brutal if I had passengers in the car and, for example, hopped out onto a roundabout, into a small gap, "because I could". Unless passenger was aware it is very unnerving)

But now persuading myself that I-can't-afford-not-to-have-Plaid of course ...

Definitely consider whether they might flip on a rhd new S. I always put an invisible (right now) after any Tesla announcement. If it suits them to change their mind they will.

OTOH, Edinburgh service centre had a new LHD S and X in a few weeks back, so maybe not.

Even as a 3 owner, a late raven S tempts me. Get the hatch and amazing air suspension without having to compromise and get an SUV (shudder).
Well no news at all on a RHD S, so I do not think it's coming. but hey this is Tesla, it can all change by tomorrow! The LHD cars will tank imho, even without a RHD model coming.

I do far prefer our S to a SUV, its has same space, but much better handling.
Raven (didn't bother with performance 'coz after demoing it to all my mates I didn't have much use for it. Far too brutal if I had passengers in the car and, for example, hopped out onto a roundabout, into a small gap, "because I could". Unless passenger was aware it is very unnerving)

But now persuading myself that I-can't-afford-not-to-have-Plaid of course ...
But the Plaid is LHD!

interesting what you say about the standard Raven, its still pretty quick and better value. But as good all rounder as my S90D was, I do have a P itch...

interesting what you say about the standard Raven, its still pretty quick and better value. But as good all rounder as my S90D was, I do have a P itch...
Yes, and considering the used car price difference its a no-brainer for me to go with the P. Honestly the difference in the launch is just different levels of "OMG" for a passenger - but enthusiasts pay much more for less of an acceleration difference in European saloons. In the case of the Raven MS, of course, the ONLY difference is the more powerful rear motor (the suspension/chassis/tyres are the same).

Bottom line, if you are going for a Raven as new for you (for the updated suspension, motor range/efficiency, newer interior) then go for the Performance. If you already have a Raven - probably not worth the trouble.

But the Plaid is LHD!

yeah, I'm still trying to get my head around whether most of my MS miles being motorway, and plenty being on Continent, will make it OK ... otherwise I'd have one by now ...

I do have a P itch

Yup ... My MS P90D was incredibly sure footed. I had a fair few (non-P) loaners, and they all scrabbled under full launch. Even my MS Raven does that a bit too ..

But the MS P90D? Never. Nice large-ish roundabout near me, with lights. First exit, basically a 90-degree onto slip up to dual carriageway, when first-at-the-lights it was fine for a launch. Even in the wet !! Never any traction problems at all. No idea how they do that (and, in contrast, why the MS-Cooking-Version does have some scrabble)

enthusiasts pay much more for less of an acceleration difference in European saloons

I wonder what the cost (and amount of fettling needed) is to upgrade a 3.5s 0-60 capable ICE to 2.5s :)

I wonder what the cost (and amount of fettling needed) is to upgrade a 3.5s 0-60 capable ICE to 2.5s :)
A lot - take a BMW M5 or Merc AMG 63S vs the vanilla versions.

But to be fair, they do a lot with chassis and suspension as well. Some days, I do wish Tesla paid more attention to the chassis of the P or Plaid versions. But then these are supposed to be family haulers so who cares, especially if you have other options for performance driving.

A lot - take a BMW M5 or Merc AMG 63S vs the vanilla versions.

But to be fair, they do a lot with chassis and suspension as well. Some days, I do wish Tesla paid more attention to the chassis of the P or Plaid versions. But then these are supposed to be family haulers so who cares, especially if you have other options for performance driving.
Agree, I am hoping Raven is a good upgrade as do find the standard air lovely and wafty for long runs, but could do with a sport mode. I have a V12 for my other driving. There is never a perfect, all in one car!

So you lot have nudged me enough to move my S90D and probably change for a Raven performance. But first step is to sell the S90D and cut the connection I have with the car, otherwise, I will keep kick this down the road then it will be out of warranty. Never had a car for so long, it's simply the best all-round car I ever have, and still could have (I have driven Tacans etc)

in answer to my original question, how much warranty do I need to sell with, looking at prices, my cars will at least have 20 months warranty, but S90D values really have plummeted! But then hey, so have all EVs and does make the Raven better value now as well

Last edited:
Maybe worth talking to the guys at RSEV - this one might be older than you’re after but they always have cars coming in..they will probably take yours in PX too 🤔

this is well priced, but yes older than 4 years old, so out of warranty. if I do change, I will go for a 2020 or 21 model in warranty still

Reactions: Fat Wolfie
Oh and today I’m having second thoughts and maybe should just keep it for another year or 5 lol 🤯

Financially it makes no sense to swap, the reality is a Raven is 'better' but from a pure cost view still makes no sense.

It all depends on how much ££££ you want to dispose off, and what if there anything else better to spend the ££££ on.

Financially it makes no sense to swap, the reality is a Raven is 'better' but from a pure cost view still makes no sense.

It all depends on how much ££££ you want to dispose off, and what if there anything else better to spend the ££££ on.

I fancy a change for sure, so a performance Raven will at least be faster and ride/handle better. The other thing is a newer car will give me another 5 years In full warranty, compared to my 18 months left I have currently. I do like having a warranty for peace of mind, extending the warranty for an extra 4 years while expensive, is just worth it for me.

The lotus of course will be a much different change, and until I test drive one, no idea if I prefer it or not. This is my car money, nothing else I need to spend it on.

I am seem very attached to my old S, something that has not happened with any car before.