Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Safety issue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'd say there's no point to keep trying to explain this. Looks like talking to a brick wall to be honest. No way we're going to change his opinion or make him understand why he's wrong, no matter how many examples, pictures we post.

Against my own advice, I'll explain again my main reason for not backing into parking spots:

If you're between two above average size cars and you're backed in, when you leave the spot, you have to pull forward completely blind almost half the car length until your face passes the cars parked left and right. Only then you will see if other cars/bikes/pedestrians run around with your car already half way out. This should be so obvious, I cannot understand how some of you keep saying that backing into parking spots is safer. This scenario assumes there's no wide angle camera in the nose of your car and there is a backup camera (of course almost all cars are like this).

I really have to learn to stop feeding the trolls...

Absolutely true as well. Not going to feed, either.

If you're between two above average size cars and you're backed in, when you leave the spot, you have to pull forward completely blind almost half the car length until your face passes the cars parked left and right. Only then you will see if other cars/bikes/pedestrians run around with your car already half way out. This should be so obvious, I cannot understand how some of you keep saying that backing into parking spots is safer. This scenario assumes there's no wide angle camera in the nose of your car and there is a backup camera (of course almost all cars are like this).

Three points;
1. The driver's seat is closer to the front of the car than the rear. Except unless maybe you are driving an old Jaguar E-Type. Certainly the driver is closer to the front in typical sedans. Therefore, one backing out will be pulling out blind for longer, thereby putting their car into oncoming traffic longer, than if they back in.
2. The study likely was trying to urge all people to back in. If everyone backed in, then visibility would be GREATLY enhanced, as there is no cargo area for 2 box design cars (or B-Pillar, back seat area, and C-pillar for 3 box design cars) to obstruct one's view.
3. Rear view cameras are relatively new technology. The majority of cars on the road likely still do not have it. My wife's car has it, and frankly, I don't use it, as teh fisheye lens distorts my field of view. Not until my Tesla did I have it.

That said, a driver has a MUCH greater field of vision than a backup camera if the driver will actually look around and out of their windows. Unfortunately, we don't seem to live in a world where people are as aware as they once were.

Valid points, with the note for the first one is that my scenario relies on backup camera so the fact that the drivers face is a bit closer to the front than the rear is not that relevant.

Also, yes, my point is valid only if all other cars around are also pulling in front forward.

It's almost funny how some pieces of technology make us basically worse drivers. I've been without a backup camera for over 10 years, and then got into a newer car with a backup camera. After a few years I had to drive a friends car without a camera and my very first reaction was "how on earth am I backing up this thing, I can't see anything"... then experience kicked in but that moment was very funny/strange.

• Funny
Reactions: 67King
Good conversation here with lots of backup cam experts so requesting your thoughts on this. Sadly I swiped a car in my driveway parked in the back of the adjacent driveway bay when I turned on to the street. I've been scratching my head on how this happened. I don't love the limited rear view mirror visibility, but I've become accustomed to the wide field of view on the backup cam. Well, I think I've figured out how I missed it! The Homelink image covers a good part of the screen where the other car was. Do you think this is an issue?

Backup Camera - small.jpg

Good conversation here with lots of backup cam experts so requesting your thoughts on this. Sadly I swiped a car in my driveway parked in the back of the adjacent driveway bay when I turned on to the street. I've been scratching my head on how this happened. I don't love the limited rear view mirror visibility, but I've become accustomed to the wide field of view on the backup cam. Well, I think I've figured out how I missed it! The Homelink image covers a good part of the screen where the other car was. Do you think this is an issue?

View attachment 423558

No. Just close that screen. Sorry for the accident.