Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Safety plug for 240V outlet

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm sure it would be, I have a 3D printer and considered it. With a plug from the store, anyone should be able to make one for whatever outlet they have in just a few minutes.
A 3D printed one would be safer because it would not have the metal prongs. Using this one could actually be more dangerous than not having it at all in some situations. Without it, the child has to stick fingers in the holes, and when shocked the muscles contract and they'd pull them back out. With the plug, if the child attempts to pull it out, they'll likely end up sticking their hands such that they'll get a shock from the metal prongs. If they hold it in such a way where they are "grasping" the prongs, getting shocked will cause the muscles to contract and them not be able to let go. Hopefully the plug would then just pull out but those can be pretty tight sometimes and children don't have a lot of mass. Also, you could make the plastic prongs smaller so they don't wear out the outlet.

All that said, the proper safety solution is this:

NEMA14-50-safety-box.png

$28 at Lowes: https://www.lowes.com/pd/Eaton-50-Amp-Overhead-Temporary-Power-Panel/3027570

You can then use a lock, or some child-safe locking device.

• Informative
Reactions: D.E.
I have three small children, and the same issue.
My solutions was to mount the 14-50 plug 6 feet off the ground, or whatever local code says is highest acceptable mounting position. Leave Tesla mobile charger plugged in at all times. The mobile charger control unit cuts power to the car plug end when it is not plugged into a Tesla. Therefore only the short cord between the plug and the control unit has electric potential. Wrap the excess wire around two wall mounted accessory hooks. Makes it tidy, and I believe safe.

I have six grandchildren and after installing my charging solution I had the same thought. Lowes sells a cover that is "universal" and will work on a NEMA 14-50 outlet. I installed it over the outlet, plug in the wall connector then put a wood screw through the cover so it can't be accessed. Then used cable clamps to secure the cable. I did have to carve the bottom of the cover out slightly to allow the cable to exit with the cover closed.
IMG_2112.jpeg

Reactions: P85_DA