Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Samsung portable SSD T5 not connecting

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I bought the Samsung T5 because it got great reviews for dash cam and century recordings. I plug it in to the USB-C port and The little camera icon does not appear on the screen. Isn’t it supposed to connect and automatically format in the Tesla nowadays? What am I doing wrong? It is definitely receiving power from the car because a little blue light lights up on the T5. I even tried another flash drive and that wasn’t connected either.

What version of firmware are you on?
When I picked up my MY I was on version 2020.11.103 and did not have the format option. That night I updated to 2020.20.12, and now have the format button.
I am on 2020.11.103.5. Im guessing that is the issue? How do I force the car to upgrade to to 2020.20.12? The care is literally brand new (picked up last night and is VIN 234xx). Any tips would be great....

I just got my first software update last night, picked up the car last Thursday.
I just confirmed that my car does NOT have the newest video game "Fall out Shelter" which confirms that my software is a bit behind. It's so weird how these software updates roll out and how you have to wait for weeks to get stuff. (even in a brand new vehicle). I ended up formatting a small 32 gig flash drive on my PC and was able to get dashcam to work for now. I really wanted to use the larger Samsung drive but I guess I'll just have to wait until the Tesla Format feature arrives with the next software update (or try to figure out how to format a 500 gig drive since windows won't convert it to FAT32 without some other software.

Not sure if this will make you feel better but i purchased a Samsung T5 500gb Blue today new. Pulled it out of the box. Plugged it in to my new Model Y. Went to security settings and clicked the format button. Worked fine.
yes, that made me feel MUCH better knowing that I have an older version of a software that limits what I can do with my car. You probably also have iOS 13.5 while I am still on iOS 2.3? Lol

I bought the Samsung T5 because it got great reviews for dash cam and century recordings. I plug it in to the USB-C port and The little camera icon does not appear on the screen. Isn’t it supposed to connect and automatically format in the Tesla nowadays? What am I doing wrong? It is definitely receiving power from the car because a little blue light lights up on the T5. I even tried another flash drive and that wasn’t connected either.
I just noticed you said you plugged it into the USB-C port. I used the regular USB port with no issues. I know the Samsung T5 comes with both cables, have you tried using the other port?

I just noticed you said you plugged it into the USB-C port. I used the regular USB port with no issues. I know the Samsung T5 comes with both cables, have you tried using the other port?
I did both. I FINALLY got the T5 to work just a few minutes ago! I had to format it on my Mac (was easier to do than on a PC because of the large storage size). Seems to be working in the car now! Thanks for all the suggestions everyone.

Ditto, but I have a T7. Plugged the T7 into my computer and saw it came formatted as exFAT, "mkdir TeslaCam", plugged the T7 into my Tesla USB-C outlet, and viola!

Not sure if this will make you feel better but i purchased a Samsung T5 500gb Blue today new. Pulled it out of the box. Plugged it in to my new Model Y. Went to security settings and clicked the format button. Worked fine.