Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

San Diego mod shop?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looking for an experienced Tesla mod shop (not body or paint) in San Diego. Likely going to upgrade the brake pads, rotors and a couple hoses with the Mountain Pass upgrades. I could probably do the rotors and pads but would prefer not to mess with the brake fluid. I didn’t expect my new Model 3 to brake like my Boxster, but I’d like to get it a bit closer, since it definitely accelerates faster!

Looking for an experienced Tesla mod shop (not body or paint) in San Diego. Likely going to upgrade the brake pads, rotors and a couple hoses with the Mountain Pass upgrades. I could probably do the rotors and pads but would prefer not to mess with the brake fluid. I didn’t expect my new Model 3 to brake like my Boxster, but I’d like to get it a bit closer, since it definitely accelerates faster!

TAG Motorsports did some work on my Tesla ..locates in Vista

Firms up the brake pedal significantly! Try it for yourself to see. Come to the dark side.
Since you're on this thread, I thought I'd ask a couple questions.

1. Does the larger brake rotor help significantly in braking performance other than heat dissipation? Or will I get most of the gain just with better brake pads? I don't plan to track my car, so I'm trying gauge best bang for my buck..

2. Obviously most of the braking occurs on the front; any guesstimates how much it would affect braking performance to also do the rear with your rotors / pads?

Reactions: bradhs
Since you're on this thread, I thought I'd ask a couple questions.

1. Does the larger brake rotor help significantly in braking performance other than heat dissipation? Or will I get most of the gain just with better brake pads? I don't plan to track my car, so I'm trying gauge best bang for my buck..

2. Obviously most of the braking occurs on the front; any guesstimates how much it would affect braking performance to also do the rear with your rotors / pads?

Heat dissipation and unsprung weight are the biggest improvements from our upgraded rotors. If you wanted to improve your braking with bang for your buck in mind, I would start with SS lines and our Street Brake Pads and work your way up from there.

I see you've got P3D front rotors but not back rotors yet. When will those become available? Also, will you have an upgrade "kit" for the P3D+?

Also, regarding suspension and ride height... If anything the P3D+ is near perfect. If I had my choice I'd like the car to be 1" lower and a 1/2" to 1" wider tire.

Heat dissipation and unsprung weight are the biggest improvements from our upgraded rotors. If you wanted to improve your braking with bang for your buck in mind, I would start with SS lines and our Street Brake Pads and work your way up from there.

I see you've got P3D front rotors but not back rotors yet. When will those become available? Also, will you have an upgrade "kit" for the P3D+?

Also, regarding suspension and ride height... If anything the P3D+ is near perfect. If I had my choice I'd like the car to be 1" lower and a 1/2" to 1" wider tire.
We have upgraded front rotors for all models, and the rear rotors for P3D+ are in the works! You could lower your car with can to your exact preference, I know a place that makes them.

Thanks--one more thing--suggestions for improving handling? I know you guys make some gear to support lowering. Handling is pretty good out of the box, and I have the 19" wheels. I'll get better tires eventually, but looking for other areas to improve. Obviously the Model 3 accelerates great, it's just I'd like to get brakes / handling improved to match. Gracias!

Thanks--one more thing--suggestions for improving handling? I know you guys make some gear to support lowering. Handling is pretty good out of the box, and I have the 19" wheels. I'll get better tires eventually, but looking for other areas to improve. Obviously the Model 3 accelerates great, it's just I'd like to get brakes / handling improved to match. Gracias!

Coilovers! Changing the springs is one thing, but the dampers are where the magic happens. Until there are cheaper upgrades like sway bars available, there are only a few paths to take on the road to amazing handling.

We have upgraded front rotors for all models, and the rear rotors for P3D+ are in the works! You could lower your car with can to your exact preference, I know a place that makes them.

When we lower it a different amount than you tuned it at, does it change the ideal suspension settings?

I see the amount of work out into tuning the RWD in your video, does the P3D coilovers have the same amount of tuning effort put in?

When we lower it a different amount than you tuned it at, does it change the ideal suspension settings?

I see the amount of work out into tuning the RWD in your video, does the P3D coilovers have the same amount of tuning effort put in?
Yes indeed, we spend a lot of time and money developing our parts! The damper settings remain the same regardless of how low you go. However, if you do slam the car, you may want more compression damping to prevent scraping your car on the ground!