Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

San Diego to Santa Barbara Spring Break Roadtrip...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After a range charge, we left Carlsbad Saturday afternoon, got stuck in LA traffic, and made it to Goleta (195 miles) where we stopped to have dinner and add a few electrons at the Robobank 70A charger (converted to J1722). I only have a single charger, so we went from about 40 miles range to about 75 in a little over an hour of eating sushi. Usage for this leg of the trip was ~310 w/mile.

Arrived at place we're staying, El Capitan Canyon Cabins, with about 60 miles remaining. After sitting out in sub 40 degree temps, we were down to ~42 miles of range.

Going to breakfast this morning, my wife noticed the driver of the Corona delivery truck gave us a big thumbs up, then he pulled over and motioned to us to stop. He got out of his truck and couldn't stop raving about the car. After a few minutes, I drove off and could see him just standing in the street for about 15 seconds. Ge was giddy with excitement!

We visited the UCSB campus, and charged at the Chargepoint 205V/30A ($1/hr) charger for a few hours, and added another 35 or so miles. When we returned to the cabins, I took the car to the next door RV park which is associated with the cabins, and plugged into a free NEMA 14-50, and brought it up to about 180 miles of range, which should be good for the next few days of exploring and vampire losses.

We're moving to plusher digs on Wednesday, and will top off before Saturday's return trip. I wasn't comfortable driving around with 40 miles range this morning, not knowing if the RV park would come through with the outlet like they said they would, but there are lots of charging options here, which alleviated most of the anxiety.

Now, to find a self serve car wash to get the dust off the car, it's filthy with all of the off-roading!

Thanks for the write-up. Always interested to hear where people are staying and charging. Is this the place?
http://www.elcapitancanyon.com/
Why didn't you charge up at the RV park the first night?

Yep, that's the place. When I emailed them earlier in the week, they said the RV park was booked up on Saturday night, but said Sunday should have openings. Perhaps I got too comfortable with the charging, as I dropped the car off there this morning before we walked to the beach, in the same spot I parked in on Sunday, with my cell # on the window, and got a call about 3 hours later from someone asking that I inform them before I plug in and leave it, that they couldn't sell the space since I was parked there. With the person working there on Sunday being so nonchalant about having me park in an open spot, I didn't think it was necessary to show my head, especially with a lot of open spaces, but lesson learned.

The car is a few hours away from being full again after yesterday's trip to Solvang + vampire losses. We'll be headed about 20 miles south, to more central Santa Barbara tomorrow (and plusher accommodations), and will find somewhere to top off before Saturday's drive home. Aside from the electrons we paid for at home before leaving, we've only spent $2 on electricity for this trip. :)

Last update before the end of the trip.

Though I could leave the hotel, park the car at a ChargePoint a mile away, walk back to the hotel, wait for a few hours, then walk back to the car, I decided to pass on the full charge and stop off in Hawthorne at the SuperCharger for 10 minutes on the trip home tomorrow. It seems like a better use of vacation time.

For the week, we'll have charged on all sorts of devices (70A at Rabobank in Goleta, 30A Chargepoint at UCSB, NEMA 14-50 (RV Park next to place we stayed at), 30A ClipperCreek at a Green construction company, and a Supercharger), for a grand total of $2. Adding in the electricity for the charge before we left, it totals about $15 of electricity for about 525 miles, or less than $0.03 per mile.

Final stats - 550 miles, with an average of 310 w/mile.

The last 100 miles, from the LA Supercharger to home, were at 299 w/mile, with a mix of 405 bumper to bumper traffic and 80 MPH I-5 Camp Pendleton speeds... Not bad for 21" wheels, 3 people plus a full frunk and trunk of luggage, and A/C on for 90% of those 100 miles.