Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SC Botched a paint touchup

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had a schedule to get my chipped windshield filled and the rough paint spot at the very edge of the hood fixed. The car was dropped off at the SC and they drop it off at the bodyshop within the area. I got the car back yesterday. Windshield chipped was filled. Bodyshop did an excellent job at fixing the rough paint spot at the edge of the hood. The job was so good, I couldn't even see it.

...Then I came home and saw this (pictures attached). It was not there before as I polished my hood by hand last week and knew every mm of it.. So someone, I'm assuming SC (as the bodyshop did a really good job on the paint fix of the rough spot), did a paint touchup on the hood. It looked like crap. I could have done better. I've done touch up on my bikes and this is what happens if you rush it or try to do everything at once. The trick is to put a thin layer, dry and repeat until you build it back up. Yes it is time consuming but a correct fix is not a quick fix. It looks like they just put a dap of paint on the spot and call it a day. What a joke.

So next time you take your car into a SC, if you see a bunch of young inexperienced folks working. Make sure they don't do any paint touchup themselves.

Attachments

• IMG_0110.PNG
    IMG_0110.PNG
    350.8 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_0085.JPG
    IMG_0085.JPG
    43.1 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_0086.JPG
    IMG_0086.JPG
    26 KB · Views: 91
  • Helpful
Reactions: DC Autocraft
At least they used the right color.

It appears during the prior ownership of my car someone thought it would be a good idea to use what looks like purple nail polish on a few small chips on a bright blue metallic car. Fortunately they are very small but every time I wash the car I cringe when I see it.

• Funny
Reactions: gabeincal
im confused. so was there a chip here before and they did you a favor of trying filling it in or did they chip the paint and try to cover it up?
The rough paint was a manufacture paint defect at the very edge of the hood - that was part of the work order fixed by the bodyshop. They did an excellent job. I can't even see how they match it up!

The bubble was not there before. From last week's polish, I didn't see any chip or imperfections on the hood other than the edge. Someone felt the need to put something on it (could be it was chipped somehow and they noticed a patch it up)...hence this post.

The rough paint was a manufacture paint defect at the very edge of the hood - that was part of the work order fixed by the bodyshop. They did an excellent job. I can't even see how they match it up!

The bubble was not there before. From last week's polish, I didn't see any chip or imperfections on the hood other than the edge. Someone felt the need to put something on it (could be it was chipped somehow and they noticed a patch it up)...hence this post.

i would call and confirm with them. its possible they may have dripped paint on your hood and there isnt anything under

i would call and confirm with them. its possible they may have dripped paint on your hood and there isnt anything under
It's becoming to the point where going to the SC is like going to a doctors office - feeling like I did something wrong. Not only that, I know the drill by now: It's like drive 40 miles round trip for them to take a look. I have to convence them that it wasn't there before or they/body shop did this while at the same time he trying to give me some bs saying "oh it could have been like this before we touched it or it's not noticeable or its black it shows everything". We go back and forth and finally a schedule for the week after and then I would have to drive 20 miles out of the way, drop the car off, drive a beat up loaner, get to work late, come home later, work on my other clients later, pick up the car the next day and notice something else is wrong and the whole cycle starts over again. At this point, I'm done...unless there is something major, I'm not going back.

On a different note, the loaner I got, while it was beat up - swirl marks all over, scuffed rims, interior had this odor that was sickening, I really liked AP1 and the leather from 2015! AP1 could see 3 lanes at once (left, current, right). It could show trucks and like 5-6 cars at once! It was more stable during AP, lane changing was more gradual and confident. The leather vs my cars leather (non vegan) is like two different types of leather. Think luxurious (2015) vs ikea like (2017).