Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SC Charges To check warranty faults?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve had wind noise from my drivers door since I had my M3 in August. Finally got it into the SC at the end of October. I’m still awaiting some parts to be fitted via mobile service that were on order. This has not happened. I’m guessing that (a) they haven’t arrived or (b) they forgot to order them.

The wind noise issue hasn’t gone away so I rebooked in via the app... January 2nd is the first available appointment- fine I’ll wait- heard nothing from Tesla.

In the meantime through the cold weather we’ve had in the Midlands, my rear screen has stopped demisting effectively- still hadnt cleared after a 45 minute journey. So updated my appointment to say I had this issue on Sunday evening. Quick as a flash on Monday, I had a response stating if I wished for the wind noise to be investigated I would be subject to an upfront charge for a 30 minute diagnostic. I thought this is very strange as I have a 4 month old car clearly under warranty. Has anyone else experienced this?

Attachments

• B9E4A171-F844-4937-919B-144AB1542290.jpeg
    B9E4A171-F844-4937-919B-144AB1542290.jpeg
    463.9 KB · Views: 43
I think that means if it ends up being a non warranty issue, or a "Customer Education" issue they may charge you, otherwise it will all be covered under warranty if a repair or adjustment is needed. I seriously doubt you will be charged, they are just covering themselves.

I’ve had wind noise from my drivers door since I had my M3 in August. Finally got it into the SC at the end of October. I’m still awaiting some parts to be fitted via mobile service that were on order. This has not happened. I’m guessing that (a) they haven’t arrived or (b) they forgot to order them.

The wind noise issue hasn’t gone away so I rebooked in via the app... January 2nd is the first available appointment- fine I’ll wait- heard nothing from Tesla.

In the meantime through the cold weather we’ve had in the Midlands, my rear screen has stopped demisting effectively- still hadnt cleared after a 45 minute journey. So updated my appointment to say I had this issue on Sunday evening. Quick as a flash on Monday, I had a response stating if I wished for the wind noise to be investigated I would be subject to an upfront charge for a 30 minute diagnostic. I thought this is very strange as I have a 4 month old car clearly under warranty. Has anyone else experienced this?
I had wind noise from my driver's door too. Fix was simple - there was a gap (about 2mm) between the front edge of the chrome trim on the top of the door where it meets the wing mirror bracket. I put some rubber seal into it.

20191103_171659.jpg
20191103_164724.jpg

In this cold weather with thick frost, remotely run the full cabin precondition without opening anything on the car. After a few minutes, check around obvious things, like roof seals, for any signs of air leakage. I found a hole in the roof seal which probably contributes to the wind noise and is on the snagging list. I am fortunate as I have a thermal imaging camera so spotted the signs early, but they become visually obvious too.

What the eye cannot normally see - what an IR camera tells us on a cold morning