Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Scheduled Charging/Departure fail

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey all
I've been using Scheduled Charging for 8 months with no issue. Since the latest update, which includes Scheduled Departure, neither mode worked over two nights. I've read that it works for some owners but not others. Some have suggested this may be caused by specific conditions/circumstances so I thought I'd post a thread to include information that may determine if it's due to specific cars/chargers/environment.

I normally set the charging schedule to begin charging at 2:00am. Always worked fine. On the charging screen it shows "Charging will start at 2:00am" under the "Schedule" button icon.

Night 1. I set the Schedule to: Depart at 5:15am, All Week, no preconditioning.
I noticed on the charging screen there was nothing below the "Schedule" button icon to show schedule time.
The car didn't charge overnight.

Night 2. I thought I'd go back to how I've been doing it, and set it to: Start Charging at 2:00am.
Below the "Schedule" button icon it showed "Charging will start at 2:00am"
Again the car didn't charge overnight.
Now, even with a scheduled start time set, the car begins charging immediately.

I'm going to try rebooting the MCU today to see if that helps.

So here's the info specific to my circumstances:
Time Zone: Australian Eastern Standard Time
Car: 2015 Model S
Onboard charger: 24kW Dual charger upgrade
Charger: Tesla wall connector.
Power supply: 3 phase 415V
Overnight Temperature: 14 °C (57 °F)

I have tried using Scheduled Departure twice since upgrading to 2019.40.2.1 and it has failed to charge the car at all either time. I had set it up to be ready to depart at 7:15am. If I disable all that and just let the car start charging as soon as I plug it in when I get home in the evening (what I've done since getting the car 1+ year ago) it works fine.

It's getting cold here in the Northeast US and it would be really nice to have the battery in particular preconditioned when I leave in the morning. Warming up the cabin automatically would be nice too, but I can force that on through the app while getting ready to leave.

I don't have any off-peak discount on my electricity rate so the 6am deadline to have the charging done by then is meaningless to me. But I don't see any way of telling the system to ignore that. My scheduled departure time is after 6am, but that doesn't seem to have mattered in that the car wasn't charged at all.

I'm wondering if there might there be some issue with the car being asleep when it should start charging. Maybe something to do with the EVSE I'm using? It is a Clipper Creek HCS-50 if that has any bearing on the problem. The car is a 2018 Model 3 LR AWD with HW 2.5.

Any thoughts on how to proceed will be greatly appreciated!

For me this Scheduled departure has not worked as well. I only use “Start Charge at” or no setting at all, just instant charging. Also this charging (both on UMC or HPWC) is not heating the battery to the level that the car has no restricted regen braking at the beginning. What I have learned is to turn the cabin heating on (during charging) prior departure that gives you no restrictions at the start.

Just letting you guys know. the scheduled START charging came good after rebooting the MCU screen.

I forgot to repost, sorry.

I haven't tried the scheduled FINISH time function since, but neither function was working prior to the MCU reboot.
The fault definitely coincided with a software update, but who knows if that was the cause.

I am having a similar but opposite problem. Scheduled charging has always worked fine for me. I schedule it to start charging at 4:00 a.m. and it is just finished by the time I go to work, so the battery has the maximum charge for the minimum time.
However recently (it may have been the upgrade to 2020.20.1) the charging starts as soon as I plug the cable in.
The console says that charging is scheduled and that it will start at 4:00 a.m., but it always starts immediately.
Has anyone else had this problem and if so how did you fix it?
Thanks.