Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Scoped out my Model 3 at the SC today prior to Wed delivery. Looks good!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

VT_EE

Apr 22, 2017
Earth
I am scheduled for delivery at the Rockville, MD service center on Wednesday. Reading about all the delivery horror stories on this forum has made me a little concerned. Is my VIN: 309xx-car going to have: the wrong shade of white painted on the bumpers, a sunken hood, poorly aligned body panels and trim, cockeyed glass roof panels, etc? Everybody is getting 50k+ VINs now so is mine a reject? In addition, was my vehicle actually there. Tesla has already pushed my delivery by 1-week because it didn't show up. I know I'm not the only one on this forum waiting for their delivery to have these thoughts. The media makes it seem like Tesla does a sloppy job putting the model 3 together. Picking up a Tesla is like playing Russian Roulette, right? ;)

Well.....I found about 12 Model 3s sitting in the lot at the SC, most of which had not yet been prepped for delivery. The fit and finish of every single one of them was outstanding. I spent 40 minutes comparing the seams, lights, rubber trim, charging doors, wheels, etc looking for variations between them. Nothing. They were all great. VINs ranged from 27k to 60k with both RWD and AWD. The only paint issue I found was some hairline scratches on a black M3 that should be easily buffed out (black is going to be a bear to keep scratch free, which is why I ordered white).

It appears Tesla is shipping the model 3 in a reusable, fabric, car condom with plastic windows. There were a few in these on the lot. That would explain why all the paint jobs still looked flawless. I couldn't find a single, tiny scratch on mine.

For all of you out there worried about your low VIN number (at least down to VIN 270xx, don't fret. You're vehicle will most likely be put together just as well as any other manufacturer out there. There are always a few lemons, but at least the exterior (and what I could see of the interior) of the M3s sitting at Rockville all shine quality.

BTW - The Rockville SC certainly isn't the shiny Tesla building you see elsewhere. It looks like a warehouse and is in the middle of an industrial park. I had a hard time finding it even with the nav system stating I had arrived. I eventually found it by driving around until I came across a bunch of parked Teslas. It's a stealth service center:D
IMG_4084.jpg

If you have a flashlight. Bring it.

That will help in your inspection of the paint. If there are scratches that happened after the factory then let thenSC know about it. Especially components that aren’t painted (because they’d require replacement which won’t be under warranty unless pointed out at delivery.

Good luck and accept your delivery. Because the problem are fixable, your time being happy with a m3 is not

Congrats... these cars look great in white.
I brought up a few issues i found on delivery... the SC asked me to drive the car for 2 weeks and bring her in with any additional items that I notice over that time and they’ll see what can be addressed. Couldn’t be happier with the experience so far... and hopefully they’ll be able to resolve any issues I bring up.