Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Screen crash...what caused it, and how to prevent it.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

haroldo

Apr 20, 2021
NJ
Yesterday, a passenger using the web browser touched a part of the web page (CNBC Watchlist, with 30 different stock quotes), and the screen crashed. I waited a few minutes, then tried the two button reboot. It seemed to take longer than normal (although my reboot attempt might have delayed the normal reboot after the crash). After. about five minutes, the screen was back on.
I called Tesla support and they said this happens... it's a known issue.
Websites with a high refresh rate can crash the system. Not really sure what constitutes a high refresh rate, but I guess it's safe to say, passengers shouldn't use the web browser while car in motion (of course, driver shouldn't either)

The infotainment is pretty stable in general. However, using Netflix, youtube, the web browser or games ha higher chances to make it crash. It's a computer, and those apps are heavy, have bugs etc. If the screen goes dark, it's rebooting by itself, don't do another reboot. Just wait a few minutes, it'll come back. You can continue driving. I suggest not using the browser while driving to prevent this

Reactions: RTPEV