Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Screen going blank

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Mine has recently done this a couple of times, and ignoring the brake, so I have to open and shut the door to get the screen back. A couple of firmware releases ago I also had it where you couldn't get the screen to wake up if it was just the passenger (I though the seat sensor had failed) but the next firmware seemed to fix the issue. It was also a common issue for me back in 2019 when the firmware was still in its infancy. So Unless it starts getting worse I'd wait out untill the next release and see if anything changes.

Reactions: Lord Farquad
I was providing feedback to Tesla last year with a nasty bug they had in the firmware causing a buffer overflow type error with the Radar unit, which basically crashed part of the canbus. While chatting with the techs on the issue looking for workarounds in case it happened while I was on the motorway, They stated that the two button reset was now very basic in operation and it no longer actually shut down the hardware, just did a very soft reboot. Apparently it was actually causing more issues than it fixed before as it hard shut down and could cause corruption, so they dumbed it right down (probably why you don't hear people talking much about holding the brake down while resetting). Just leaving the car to sleep with sentry off and walking away was the only way to actually reboot the system properly. Two button reset was only for clearing some immediate software crashes, and if you'd already left the car to sleep wouldn't make any difference. In my case you couldn't clear the radar issue with the two button reset and you really did just need to walk away from the car for half an hour.
No harm in trying it but if the above is true it wouldn't fix anything that having left the car to sleep wouldn't have already fixed.

• Informative
Reactions: italian bread
When getting in the car after unlocking, upon shutting the door the screen goes blank. To bring it back to life you have to put your foot on the brake. This happens even with the passenger side. Has anyone else experienced this?
I'm having that now. Except mine has a delay of 10-20 seconds before the brake pedal will wake it up.
Even if I leave the door open where the screens are on, it still won't awaken where I can choose a gear without that delay.

I haven't been able to isolate it to any particular scenarios yet.
It seems more common after longer dormancies, but I'll have to confirm that.
Back when I had MCU1, I had a slow awakening problem, but I fixed it by turning off the power saver mode.
But I've upgraded to MCU2, and don't have power saver mode on, so it's not that.

Let me know if you find a cause/remedy.