Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Scuff marks on front dashboard (help!)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Being a diligent car owner, I noticed the front dashboard area (above the wood panel, in front of the "speaker grill" which butts up against the windshield) was getting dusty. I took a microfiber cloth I had in the middle storage and gave it a good wipe down. The good news is that the dust is gone; the bad news is that the surface seems to have been left with what can only be described as light "scuff marks". I've tried a wet cloth, wetted finger, and I can't seem to remove them.

Now I'm panicked and sad. Is it really possible a microfiber cloth added permanent scuffs to that panel??

I've included an image to show the marks, and so you can share in my horror.

Help!

Attachments

• IMG_0637.jpg
    IMG_0637.jpg
    326 KB · Views: 1,048
I am professional detailer and I see things like this pretty often. The cause of the damage is not the cloth it is the dirt the cloth is moving, the amount of pressure used, and the amount of lubrication. In general you should always use some kind of lubrication when cleaning a car. something like Optimum No Rinse (ONR) or Optimum Power Clean not only helps to dissolve the dirt it also encapsulates it and prevent the dirt in the cloth from scratching the surface. Pressure is also a big factor many folks don't consider. when cleaning sensitive surfaces you should use light pressure, just enough the keep the cloth in contact with the surface. after the initial wipe turn the cloth over to use the cleaner side to buff off any streaks. Compressed air or canned air is also a great way to get dust off with a lower risk of scratching. That was a little long of an answer but I hope it helps. Don't feel too bad about, even professionals causing marring on soft surfaces like piano black, they are really hard to clean right.

• Informative
  • Helpful
Reactions: Dana1 and Canuck
So just to clarify, I'm SoL in terms of _removing_ to marks?

Most likely yes. Surfaces like that cannot really be polished like a glossy surface. You can try and use a quality protectant like the Optimum protectant or the Chemical Guys Leather quick detailer to treat the surfaces. Those products both have polymers and oils in them to moisturize and protect plastic, leather and vinyl. They can do a good job of making light marring like yours less visible. They leave a dry matte finish so there is no worry about reflection or greasiness. The Optimum product is also anti static to prevent dust from collecting as quickly.