Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SD Card or USB Stick for Sentry Mode recordings?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On the hunt for a good recording device for sentry mode. Seems SD cards to be a popular choice but they tend to get hot.
Also some can't handle to many multiple re-writes and tend to slow down after a bit of use. What size range should we look for? 32GB, 64GB or larger?

Any tips on picking out one would be nice, Thanks.

• Disagree
Reactions: lUtriaNt
I’ve had good luck running 2x exFAT partitions (cam/music) on a single SanDisk extreme plus microSD. I use the smallest SanDisk ‘nub’ adapter (blk plastic and connector) with my mid-2019 build SR+. I tried all different expensive/cheap non-SSD options, and this is best I have used. The popular little metal-bodied USB-to-MicroSD adapter on amazon got scary hot in my use, so returned it. My limited testing suggests that total number of folders matters at least as much as the number of tracks, if not more. Homogenizing my music files to one standard MP3 file type also seemed to reduce playback errors, but that could be due to updates/confirmation bias on my part.

As others have suggested, different build mo/year combos may have different USB com chips on car side, and many possible file system/file format combos to try, so YMMV.

PS- If you do one of those microSDs off amazon/fleabay, make sure it is real. MANY knock-offs floating around, and they don’t perform or last.

MASTER THREAD: USB drives that work with Sentry and TeslaCam

you wont get a one size fits all on this generic question. its all personal preference. some people like SD cards, some like SSDs. there are PLENTY of them to choose from, so rather than ask a generic question that will get you a hundred different options, just read the ones (both SSD and SD) that are known to work based off experience of people on here and you do you.

ive used both and ended up using two sandisk max endurance 256 (the more memory the better) with two @Navak 's smart hubs.

MASTER THREAD: USB drives that work with Sentry and TeslaCam

you wont get a one size fits all on this generic question. its all personal preference. some people like SD cards, some like SSDs. there are PLENTY of them to choose from, so rather than ask a generic question that will get you a hundred different options, just read the ones (both SSD and SD) that are known to work based off experience of people on here and you do you.

ive used both and ended up using two sandisk max endurance 256 (the more memory the better) with two @Navak 's smart hubs.
Thanks, my initial search only yielded 2 threads with results and not very specific. Must of used the wrong parameters. The Master Thread you have there is much better. Will go thru that one next.

Just looking for stick or SD card that I won't have to replace every 6 months and allows me to instantly review any video in question at at the scene.

Reactions: lUtriaNt
Thanks after your inputs and other links I eventually found on the forum I decided to go with a 500GB SSD drive partitioned into two equal sizes. One will hold sentry cam and the other half for my music. Lets see how long it will last.