Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SDGE EVTOU?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have some questions on the SDGE plans that hopefully you can clear up. We have solar awhile back with NEM1.0 but then only got enough panels to cover our house usage (we had no plans on getting an electric car at the time). I was a net producer back then but now a net consumer since getting the Tesla. Im still on standard DR and have been hitting Tier 2 on all months except for April thru July. Even on the summer months I’m not overproducing for the monthly total but not going over baseline. So at tru up I have to pay a lot.

The SDGE app says that I can go to DRSES.

EVTOU2 and EVTOU5 are not options through the app or website , I guess I have to call it in to request for this?

Question:

Is DRSES same as TOU-DR1?

So is DRSES the same TOU hours has EVTOU?

It seems if I move to DRSES I can still get NEM credits for those hours that I’m overproducing. Is this correct?

Is EVTOU an option if you also have solar? Is EVTOU practical with EV and solar?

If I move to EVTOU do I stills get NEM credits for those hours I overproduce?

I’ve been paying a lot during my tru up.
Just trying to see which may be beneficial since it seems that DR may not be a good option anymore.

Your thoughts?

Reactions: G35Rocker
I am in the same situation as you. I've had solar for about 5 years and didn't plan on an EV. I am on Standard DR. I don't overproduce. I will charging my Model 3 from home soon, and I was also wondering if I should switch to TOU5. As you said, TOU5 is not available on the website, but if you call, it is still available...

I have some questions on the SDGE plans that hopefully you can clear up. We have solar awhile back with NEM1.0 but then only got enough panels to cover our house usage (we had no plans on getting an electric car at the time). I was a net producer back then but now a net consumer since getting the Tesla. Im still on standard DR and have been hitting Tier 2 on all months except for April thru July. Even on the summer months I’m not overproducing for the monthly total but not going over baseline. So at tru up I have to pay a lot.

The SDGE app says that I can go to DRSES.

EVTOU2 and EVTOU5 are not options through the app or website , I guess I have to call it in to request for this?

Question:

Is DRSES same as TOU-DR1?

So is DRSES the same TOU hours has EVTOU?

It seems if I move to DRSES I can still get NEM credits for those hours that I’m overproducing. Is this correct?

Is EVTOU an option if you also have solar? Is EVTOU practical with EV and solar?

If I move to EVTOU do I stills get NEM credits for those hours I overproduce?

I’ve been paying a lot during my tru up.
Just trying to see which may be beneficial since it seems that DR may not be a good option anymore.

Your thoughts?
There looks like the is a void where someone could provide a service for a fee to evaluate best options for SDGE customers with solar panels and EV's. I'm retired, I just don't have the time and inclination to keep up with SDGE and their efforts to keep us confused and paying through the nose.

I got solar in 2015 (NEM 1.0), and then added an X in 2017. The SDGE bill for the first month after getting the X was brutal. I immediately switched to EV-TOU-2, and then later to EV-TOU-5 when it was available. I assume you need to call them for these plans since they need to know you have an EV. I'm not familiar with DR-SES or TOU-DR1, but I'm pretty sure the TOU hours are similar, though maybe not exactly the same. Peak is always going to be 4pm - 9pm, because SDGE knows that's when you use the most power, and solar generates less (net energy user). The plans differ in whether they have Super Off-Peak hours, and how much they charge for it. Super Off-Peak will generally be 12am - 6am (plus weekends 12am - 2pm on TOU-DR1).

But honestly, none of that is important. The single most important factor is how much you charge your car. If you drive 5 miles a day in a Model 3, then I don't know. If you drive and charge a lot, then there is really only 1 option, EV-TOU-5. I'm using approx 800 kWh per month for charging my car (don't judge me, apparently I live in my car...). With EV-TOU-5, Super Off-Peak, is about $0.15 per kWh. With DR-SES, Super Off-Peak is $0.36 per kWh. TOU-DR1 is $0.35. EV-TOU2 is $0.27 per kWh. That means going from EV-TOU-5 to DR-SES/TOU-DR1 would be a difference of over $150/month. If I were on standard DR, I assume most if not all of the charging would be charged at $0.57 per kWh, so a difference of over $300/month.

For your situation, I would first look at an old bill to see the total number of kWh you use. Then go to the Tesla app. The Tesla app will tell you how many kWh you charged under Charge Stats (though I'm pretty sure this is less than how much energy SDGE will say you used because of charging loss). This will give you a good idea how much of your energy use is charging (i.e. time shiftable) vs everyday use (i.e. not time shiftable).

Next, go to the link above for the pricing charts for each schedule. On each chart, you'll want to focus on the Total Electric Rate column at the far right. Look at the Peak vs Super Off-Peak numbers. Don't worry too much about Off-Peak vs Peak. The price difference is minimal during winter months, and during summer months just consider it all Peak to be safe. Obviously set your car to only charge between 12am and 6am.

Now that you have your numbers, do some basic math, and then call SDGE to switch to EV-TOU-5. :)

To answer your other question, yes, you still get NEM credits for hours you produce. It'll be worth less than on standard DR, but that's the price you pay for getting a much cheaper charging rate. If it makes you feel better, if you're on NEM 1.0, the panels should already have paid for themselves, so you're just getting a bit less gravy than before.

I got solar in 2015 (NEM 1.0), and then added an X in 2017. The SDGE bill for the first month after getting the X was brutal. I immediately switched to EV-TOU-2, and then later to EV-TOU-5 when it was available. I assume you need to call them for these plans since they need to know you have an EV. I'm not familiar with DR-SES or TOU-DR1, but I'm pretty sure the TOU hours are similar, though maybe not exactly the same. Peak is always going to be 4pm - 9pm, because SDGE knows that's when you use the most power, and solar generates less (net energy user). The plans differ in whether they have Super Off-Peak hours, and how much they charge for it. Super Off-Peak will generally be 12am - 6am (plus weekends 12am - 2pm on TOU-DR1).

But honestly, none of that is important. The single most important factor is how much you charge your car. If you drive 5 miles a day in a Model 3, then I don't know. If you drive and charge a lot, then there is really only 1 option, EV-TOU-5. I'm using approx 800 kWh per month for charging my car (don't judge me, apparently I live in my car...). With EV-TOU-5, Super Off-Peak, is about $0.15 per kWh. With DR-SES, Super Off-Peak is $0.36 per kWh. TOU-DR1 is $0.35. EV-TOU2 is $0.27 per kWh. That means going from EV-TOU-5 to DR-SES/TOU-DR1 would be a difference of over $150/month. If I were on standard DR, I assume most if not all of the charging would be charged at $0.57 per kWh, so a difference of over $300/month.

For your situation, I would first look at an old bill to see the total number of kWh you use. Then go to the Tesla app. The Tesla app will tell you how many kWh you charged under Charge Stats (though I'm pretty sure this is less than how much energy SDGE will say you used because of charging loss). This will give you a good idea how much of your energy use is charging (i.e. time shiftable) vs everyday use (i.e. not time shiftable).

Next, go to the link above for the pricing charts for each schedule. On each chart, you'll want to focus on the Total Electric Rate column at the far right. Look at the Peak vs Super Off-Peak numbers. Don't worry too much about Off-Peak vs Peak. The price difference is minimal during winter months, and during summer months just consider it all Peak to be safe. Obviously set your car to only charge between 12am and 6am.

Now that you have your numbers, do some basic math, and then call SDGE to switch to EV-TOU-5. :)

To answer your other question, yes, you still get NEM credits for hours you produce. It'll be worth less than on standard DR, but that's the price you pay for getting a much cheaper charging rate. If it makes you feel better, if you're on NEM 1.0, the panels should already have paid for themselves, so you're just getting a bit less gravy than before.
Part of the issue for our household is my spouse works only part time for Sharp Hospital and is at one of several locations (Hospital Social Worker) so the usage of the Model 3 varies. The other issue is I am too damn lazy to go thru the hoops to figure out which of the options to keep or switch to!
(I'm supposed to be retired! Who has time for this crap? Anyway SDGE will most likely switch things around to try and screw us even more!)