Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sea Sucker Roof Rack and Cargo Box in the cold

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No car manufacturer ever has approved their use or given specs for their use so don't expect Tesla to. They're not the official rack. Had the official rack been out earlier, that's what I likely would have gotten. That said, I've gotten thousands of kilometers hauling canoes, paddleboards, roof boxes full of skis and gear with my SeaSucker Monkey Bars and hundreds more hauling three mountain bikes with the Bomber bike rack. All trouble free and I love their ease of installation and the fact that I can put them on any of my vehicles without expensive and time consuming adapters and with only a minute our two installation time.

In comparison, I've watched videos of installation of the Tesla solution -- what a pain that looks to be to install!

As long as you keep the loads reasonable, I doubt the weight will be the issue. My bigger concern is the suction force of the suckers on the small area of glass. So far so good for me, but there have been a report or two of the suction cups cracking the glass roof and no help from warranty. Caveat emptor.

Reactions: Joelc
No car manufacturer ever has approved their use or given specs for their use so don't expect Tesla to. They're not the official rack. Had the official rack been out earlier, that's what I likely would have gotten. That said, I've gotten thousands of kilometers hauling canoes, paddleboards, roof boxes full of skis and gear with my SeaSucker Monkey Bars and hundreds more hauling three mountain bikes with the Bomber bike rack. All trouble free and I love their ease of installation and the fact that I can put them on any of my vehicles without expensive and time consuming adapters and with only a minute our two installation time.

In comparison, I've watched videos of installation of the Tesla solution -- what a pain that looks to be to install!

As long as you keep the loads reasonable, I doubt the weight will be the issue. My bigger concern is the suction force of the suckers on the small area of glass. So far so good for me, but there have been a report or two of the suction cups cracking the glass roof and no help from warranty. Caveat emptor.

Ok - thanks for the info!

Here's our Yakima Skybox with four sets of downhill skis and poles, one set of cross country skis and poles and four bags of downhill ski boots, helmets and other accessories. We've done about 2,500 trouble-free km with this setup, including a 370 km drive home in near blizzard conditions where visibility was minimal and the ditches were littered with semis and passenger vehicles.
2B6FE69A-B7B0-4FB5-9F90-68CD149FEA90.jpeg

Here's our Yakima Skybox with four sets of downhill skis and poles, one set of cross country skis and poles and four bags of downhill ski boots, helmets and other accessories. We've done about 2,500 trouble-free km with this setup, including a 370 km drive home in near blizzard conditions where visibility was minimal and the ditches were littered with semis and passenger vehicles. View attachment 372005

What is the length of you skybox? I'm trying to figure out what is "too much" cargo box for the model 3. I have a Thule Hyper XL that is 90" long. Wondering if that will fit and "look ok" with the OEM tesla bars. I would try and put the cargo box as far back as possible but not interfere with trunk opening (the Thule I have has adjustable clamps). I wouldn't want the box to hang over the front too much.

Just wanted to post if anyone was wondering about fitment in the cold/use in the cold of the sea sucker mounts with a cargo box on the model 3.

Tested now for more than 3 weeks in negative temperatures and the car being outside the whole time. No issues at all what so ever.

Let me know if you have any questions- happy to answer and new on the forums!View attachment 353778
How do the Thule works with the monkey bars? Does it fit right? I tried, but did t find the claws could grab all around the diameter. So was worryied if it would stay in place if you hit the brakes hard?