Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Seat changes position overnight, and when switching profiles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I’ve had the car for over three months and over 6,000 miles, and have been tinkering with the seat non-stop. I would get it where I’m comfortable, and then the next day get in the car and it would feel off. This was happening to the point where I thought I was going crazy, and my wife thought I developed some kind of OCD, and started to suggest therapy.

At some point we came to realize that the seats were not restoring properly when switching between my profile and hers. We confirmed this by creating two profiles with the same exact seat settings, and when we switched between the two identical profiles, the seat moved, even though the settings were exactly the same.

So for a while we just didn’t change profiles and wanted to see if this fixed the problem (I’ve read about people having this issue using Easy Entry). This worked for a bit, until the seat started to feel off again. So I got some measuring tape and took precise measurements of the seat position, saved to a brand new profile profile, and left it.

Low and behold, this morning the seat feels off again. I get out the measuring tape and confirm the seat and steering wheel have moved, both about a half inch lower than the previous day. No changes were made to the driver profile, no switching between profiles, no easy entry - just changed on its own overnight.

I’ve now made a service appointment for a few weeks out.

Has anyone else here experienced this issue, particularly with the seat changing overnight, and was Tesla service able to remedy the problem at all?

Also lumbar and the steering wheel in/out never prompt you to save to the driver profile.

I’m not sure I want to continue to drive this car if daily I have to wonder has the seat and steering wheel moved fractions of inches. It’s just subtly enough to make you slowly go insane.

Do you have another driver with phone key access? If so wondering if their walking by the car or getting in your car before you do is causing the issue.

Hopefully no one is resaving profile adjustments on you.

Last edited:
If it was another key, the profile would change (if it was hooked to another profile) (whoops, this is a Model 3 lol... so need to choose a profile....) I was thinking of the process with the S or X hooked to the fobs.

If it was a seat change manually, it would show as a change on your profile and it would be nagging you to either save it or not (update the profile).

I had some issues early Onondaga my X and I deleted all profiles and resaved them and all was well. I’ve also heard of those that did need a memory module (not sure where profiles are stored...) replaced.

I’d try the removal/ re-save process and see if that helps.

Steering wheel position should definitely be storable as it moves when using Easy Entry. If that’s not moving when you change it and then use a saved profile something is definitely up.

Since my appointment was a few weeks out I called Tesla service. Alexis, who was super helpful, said it was a known issue when restoring or changing between profiles/easy entry, and that they’ve already put out a software update for it. She suggested a hard reset using the power off button from the service menu (let the car start up again in its own after five minutes).

Seems to have worked! I made two identical driver profiles and when I switched between them, nothing happened!

Her only thought with the overnight problem was that it was happening after software updates (which I just had the other night!).

Gonna keep my service appointment to be safe, but for anyone else out there having seat memory issues, hopefully this helps you!

Last edited: