Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Seattle Area - 75D To Steven's Pass from Edmonds & Back

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We currently own a Model 3 LR RWD - love it. My wife drives it mainly. In a year, I'm considering picking up a used '16 Model S 75D. Its range would suit me fine daily but I'm curious about one round trip and was wondering if current owners would provide some input.

We live in the Edmonds, WA area and often drive up to Steven's Pass for skiing. It's about 79 miles each way going from sea level to about 4,000 feet. The lower temperatures and altitude change has me wondering about the trip. I've used ABetterRoutePlanner.com and it says I would get up the mountain with about 46% battery at 493 Wh/mi. The trip back benefits from going down the mountain. ABetterRoutePlanner.com says the trip back would have me arriving home with 16% battery at 264 Wh/mi. I have the settings to raining and 32 degrees.

Just curious from those with 75Ds if this sounds realistic or am I kidding myself that this car could do the trek. Thank you in advance for any input...

We currently own a Model 3 LR RWD - love it. My wife drives it mainly. In a year, I'm considering picking up a used '16 Model S 75D. Its range would suit me fine daily but I'm curious about one round trip and was wondering if current owners would provide some input.

We live in the Edmonds, WA area and often drive up to Steven's Pass for skiing. It's about 79 miles each way going from sea level to about 4,000 feet. The lower temperatures and altitude change has me wondering about the trip. I've used ABetterRoutePlanner.com and it says I would get up the mountain with about 46% battery at 493 Wh/mi. The trip back benefits from going down the mountain. ABetterRoutePlanner.com says the trip back would have me arriving home with 16% battery at 264 Wh/mi. I have the settings to raining and 32 degrees.

Just curious from those with 75Ds if this sounds realistic or am I kidding myself that this car could do the trek. Thank you in advance for any input...
So the question is "can I make the trip without stopping at either of the two Superchargers I pass?" I guess I don't understand why.

• Love
Reactions: Rocky_H
So the question is "can I make the trip without stopping at either of the two Superchargers I pass?" I guess I don't understand why.
I also don't get why people want to avoid using the fastest, most convenient charging that exists on Earth so they can try white-knuckling some long drive.
It's a day trip that starts at 6:30am...by the time we're done skiing, the goal is to go straight home.
The Supercharger at Monroe is 0.7 miles off the highway and shows about a 4 minute drive from where you get off the highway. Getting back on the highway is about 1 minute because the entrance is closer. A little boost to make this easy would take less than 10 minutes. And here's the cool thing: you don't even need to decide ahead of time whether you need to stop there or not, because it's exactly on your route back and is pretty close to your end destination. Just see how it's going on your drive back home, and if the margin is looking a little slim, pull off for a quick shot. Should be less than 15 minutes total, including getting to and from the Supercharger.

I also don't get why people want to avoid using the fastest, most convenient charging that exists on Earth so they can try white-knuckling some long drive.

The Supercharger at Monroe is 0.7 miles off the highway and shows about a 4 minute drive from where you get off the highway. Getting back on the highway is about 1 minute because the entrance is closer. A little boost to make this easy would take less than 10 minutes. And here's the cool thing: you don't even need to decide ahead of time whether you need to stop there or not, because it's exactly on your route back and is pretty close to your end destination. Just see how it's going on your drive back home, and if the margin is looking a little slim, pull off for a quick shot. Should be less than 15 minutes total, including getting to and from the Supercharger.

I have no issues with Superchargers. It's a long day trip - we leave the house at 6:30am, ski all day and drive home for an hour and a half. It's just for this one specific drive, I'd prefer not to have to stop b/c I just want to get home once the day is coming to an end. The goal is to buy a Tesla dual motor that can do it with little concern. If not, I might consider a 90D or just scrap the idea all together and stick with our big 4x4 Tundra.

Just putting the question out there to see what's what and keep learning... Superchargers remain awesome. Just not how I want to do this particular trip.

I have a 70d and have skied Stevens twice this year. I live near uw. Both times were no prob. Prob made it home with about 10%, and I preheated the car for 15 mins at the end of the day. FYI - there are 4 chargers at Stevens too. I haven’t used them though.