Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Second flat tire in 3 months

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, I just went through my THIRD repair. One of my tires punctured and was plugged by a shop (I thought they were going to patch it) and developed a leak a month later and I had it RE-repaired with a patch. Then about 1 month later I got a puncture in the same corner, only different tire because I had just rotated. I'm definitely tired of repairing these tires! In all fairness, this last one was a result of an extremely large and long nail.

What is the recovery process if you get a flat? I'm about to take delivery of my car and have been trying to work out a good strategy. Usually I just carry a decent compressor and hope I can fill the tire up with a slow enough leak that I can limp it somewhere for a proper fix. I've always been told the "goop" stuff is a bad idea since it makes such a mess inside the tire, and I'm not sure what to do if you have a major issue where the tire ends up shredded. I guess it's just tow truck time then.

Have you had any concerns when taking it to the shop as far as how they lift it, etc. with the very specific lift points?

What is the recovery process if you get a flat? I'm about to take delivery of my car and have been trying to work out a good strategy. Usually I just carry a decent compressor and hope I can fill the tire up with a slow enough leak that I can limp it somewhere for a proper fix. I've always been told the "goop" stuff is a bad idea since it makes such a mess inside the tire, and I'm not sure what to do if you have a major issue where the tire ends up shredded. I guess it's just tow truck time then.

Have you had any concerns when taking it to the shop as far as how they lift it, etc. with the very specific lift points?
I carry a compressor and a plug kit. You’re right, the compressor can get you home or to a tire repair shop if the leak isn’t too bad. Patching the tire on the car is damn near impossible, but I’ve patched both mine after getting home and removing the tire.

Goop is bad. Avoid it.

Most tire shops now know about lifting a Tesla, but I have the lifting pucks in the car and point them out just in case.

I carry a compressor and a plug kit. You’re right, the compressor can get you home or to a tire repair shop if the leak isn’t too bad. Patching the tire on the car is damn near impossible, but I’ve patched both mine after getting home and removing the tire.

Goop is bad. Avoid it.

Most tire shops now know about lifting a Tesla, but I have the lifting pucks in the car and point them out just in case.

Are there any OEM lifting pucks? Or any recommended brand? I've looked into them a little bit but wasn't sure if they were needed. What would the shop do if you didn't have the pucks?

Are there any OEM lifting pucks? Or any recommended brand? I've looked into them a little bit but wasn't sure if they were needed. What would the shop do if you didn't have the pucks?
No Tesla pucks. But there are plenty of 3rd party brands out there. Just shop around a bit so you don’t overspend. Any puck will do.

Most shops have lifting rigs that can accommodate the lifting points on a Tesla. There’s nothing special about the pucks other than they make it easier to line up the jack.

18” Aeros. My previous car got a flat probably every 18 months. My Tesla is definitely trending the wrong way.

Do you live at the end of the street next to a nail and razor blade factory or something?

I've lived fairly near where you are for a few decades now and haven't more than one flat in 18 years, let alone one every 18 months or more.

Yes, I just went through my THIRD repair. One of my tires punctured and was plugged by a shop (I thought they were going to patch it) and developed a leak a month later and I had it RE-repaired with a patch. Then about 1 month later I got a puncture in the same corner, only different tire because I had just rotated. I'm definitely tired of repairing these tires! In all fairness, this last one was a result of an extremely large and long nail.
Here it is...
IMG_20190923_063711.jpg

Thats some bad luck. I have a repair kit with the compressor and Goop. I plan to have a spare tire but leave it at home if i need it I'll just call my wife to pick me up to recover it from home. On long cross country trip I might put it in the trunk but I dont have plans on carrying that spare at all just leave at home.

The Goop will not work in the OEM tires as they are acoustic tires with a layer of foam inside that will prevent the goop from plugging the hole.

I've read this.. but the air pressure being pushed out moves past the foam layer-- wouldn't it also push out the goop at a high rate of travel? After all Tesla sells the goop kit right on the website-