Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

1st flat less than 1k miles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yesterday had our 1st flat tire within a month and 1,000 miles of ownership. Not very lucky, but the last flat we got was 7 years ago when our Acura was 2 months old.

Anyway, the low pressure message showed up on the Tesla app after the car was parked in the garage, so luckily don't have to deal with roadside anxiety. It went to almost zero. I tried to pump some air in there but after 10 min it only got up to 10 psi, and I could see big air bubbles near the center of the wet tire. I debated about towing it to a local tire chain vs. calling Tesla; since appointments were booked out for 4 days, I scheduled a tire mobile service from Tesla.

The repairman came today. The culprit was a knife blade, and it made a wide cut in the middle of the tread. It was unclear whether a plug could support the lifetime of the tire. So I got the expensive new tire (Continental). He reminded me that Tesla mobile would only service OEM tires, and that if I had plugged it with an aftermarket plug, they wouldn't service it either (i.e. they won't repair a repair).

I also learned about the tire weight rating. 104W, higher than the average tire.

I guess it's time to get a spare tire kit.

Yesterday had our 1st flat tire within a month and 1,000 miles of ownership. Not very lucky, but the last flat we got was 7 years ago when our Acura was 2 months old.

Anyway, the low pressure message showed up on the Tesla app after the car was parked in the garage, so luckily don't have to deal with roadside anxiety. It went to almost zero. I tried to pump some air in there but after 10 min it only got up to 10 psi, and I could see big air bubbles near the center of the wet tire. I debated about towing it to a local tire chain vs. calling Tesla; since appointments were booked out for 4 days, I scheduled a tire mobile service from Tesla.

The repairman came today. The culprit was a knife blade, and it made a wide cut in the middle of the tread. It was unclear whether a plug could support the lifetime of the tire. So I got the expensive new tire (Continental). He reminded me that Tesla mobile would only service OEM tires, and that if I had plugged it with an aftermarket plug, they wouldn't service it either (i.e. they won't repair a repair).

I also learned about the tire weight rating. 104W, higher than the average tire.

I guess it's time to get a spare tire kit.
Last April I got my first flat with a nail in LR tire the first week of April with 9k miles. Tesla mobile service arrived at my house within 40 minutes and replaced the tire for only $430.
The last week of April while in Florida, another nail in the RR tire. I had to drive to the Tesla SC in Delray Beach, Florida as there are no roving tire vans in Florida like in NJ and they replaced the tire for only $460.
So for this year has been better and I now have 23k miles on my Y with all good tires.