Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Second iPhone user

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

hash

Oct 19, 2021
uk
Hi i have a new 3 LR and use the iPhone, i want to set up the wide as the second user also using her iphone to unlock. I thought I could this is in the app via security and send an invite? is this the correct way (although no option in the app?)

thanks

Download the Tesla App on your wife's iPhone and log in using your Tesla account.
You car should show up in her app, and it should say something like "Add as Phone Key" or something similar.
Use your keycard, her phone, and go to the car following the instruction on the app to add her phone as another Phone Key.

Not sure about lease car though.

Reactions: hash and Campi
Mine is a lease.

You can either do as above and use the same login credentials for both phones. If you don’t want to give your wife your login for whatever reason you will need to email your lease company and ask them to add your wife as a second driver by giving them your wife’s email.

Doesn't running the iPhone 'key' on two phones then unleash the problem with the wrong driver profile being selected if you both get in the car with your phone? I'm sure I've read that the car favours whoever approaches the passenger door if two iPhones are present, as a result of the US bias in the setup/location of sensors?

[To the OP - calling her 'the wide' is a bit harsh!]

Doesn't running the iPhone 'key' on two phones then unleash the problem with the wrong driver profile being selected if you both get in the car with your phone? I'm sure I've read that the car favours whoever approaches the passenger door if two iPhones are present, as a result of the US bias in the setup/location of sensors?

[To the OP - calling her 'the wide' is a bit harsh!]
You can set one of the phones as a priority device and it will take priority over the other one.

It does indeed load up her profile if she gets there first, but I guess it would do that even set up with separate accounts? She’d still be the one to get there first, so would activate her profile. Don’t know about the near side priority thing, not observed closely enough when we’ve approached simultaneously.

I’ve come to notice the seat moving when I open the door, so tap one of the seat controls before I sit in to stop the movement. It’s then a pretty quick two clicks once I’m in to select my profile.

It does indeed load up her profile if she gets there first, but I guess it would do that even set up with separate accounts? She’d still be the one to get there first, so would activate her profile. Don’t know about the near side priority thing, not observed closely enough when we’ve approached simultaneously.

I’ve come to notice the seat moving when I open the door, so tap one of the seat controls before I sit in to stop the movement. It’s then a pretty quick two clicks once I’m in to select my profile.
There's quite a height difference between me and my wife, so I have Easy Entry set on our profiles. That way I can get in the car regardless of who's phone gets there first.

Reactions: Mrklaw
I have also noticed the wrong profile loading. I am the primary phone, but if my wife and I get in the car, it is a crap-shoot and which profile loads. I have easy entry set for both. When the seat starts moving into place, I have to watch for which one is loading to prevent getting jammed into the steering wheel. I have tried all different ways of getting into the car - me first, her first, open her door first, open my door first, same time, etc. and I cannot find that magic that makes it reliable one way or the other.

Any advice is welcome (as long as it fixes the problem :) )

I have also noticed the wrong profile loading. I am the primary phone, but if my wife and I get in the car, it is a crap-shoot and which profile loads. I have easy entry set for both. When the seat starts moving into place, I have to watch for which one is loading to prevent getting jammed into the steering wheel. I have tried all different ways of getting into the car - me first, her first, open her door first, open my door first, same time, etc. and I cannot find that magic that makes it reliable one way or the other.

Any advice is welcome (as long as it fixes the problem :) )
Easy entry and then check/select the profile before touching the pedal.

if my wife and I get in the car, it is a crap-shoot and which profile loads

My wife's always loads. If I'm driving and I change Profile to me, and then we get to Supercharger (any waypoint) and I get out and she stays put then when I get back in (i..e open the driver door) her profile is re-selected.

She tells me this is by design :)

Her profile is first in the list (in case that is part of the reason)

My wife's always loads. If I'm driving and I change Profile to me, and then we get to Supercharger (any waypoint) and I get out and she stays put then when I get back in (i..e open the driver door) her profile is re-selected.
If she never leaves the car then when you left it would only see her phone. Exactly the same if you both left and she went to the car first.

She tells me this is by design :)

Her profile is first in the list (in case that is part of the reason)
Mine is not predictable. That's the issue I have. I am the primary phone, I am listed first, but sometimes her profile loads. Very annoying.

Reactions: WannabeOwner