Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Section of paint is gritty vs. smooth

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Recently when I was washing my car I noticed that the rear panel near the charging port felt gritty vs smooth like the surrounding areas. When I wash the car again I am going to pay more attention to that area but it doesn't seem like it is anything on it - it just isn't smooth. Have others experienced this? Suggestions on how to address (wax and buff or something else a professional detailer can do)?

Recently when I was washing my car I noticed that the rear panel near the charging port felt gritty vs smooth like the surrounding areas. When I wash the car again I am going to pay more attention to that area but it doesn't seem like it is anything on it - it just isn't smooth. Have others experienced this? Suggestions on how to address (wax and buff or something else a professional detailer can do)?
Clay bar?

I would buy an inexpensive paint meter first. Measure the depth of the paint where the rough area is and compared it to:
1) paint in the smooth areas
2) paint in the door jambs

The paint in the door jambs has very little clear coat. Compare that depth with the depth of the rough area and you'll get an idea of the depth of the clear.

Now get a random orbital polisher (Harbor Freight cheapie works fine), some foam orange polishing pads, and use some mild to medium polishing compound. It'll dull out the finish.

Then use a fine polishing compound to bring back the shine.

Make sure you apply some DIY ceramic coat to the paint after cleaning with Prep Sol.

Did you ever find anything out? My passenger door has a similar thing going on in one section. I think I missed it during vehicle inspection and pickup. I haven’t tried a paint meter. Visually looking at the car, there is still a clear coat, and the pearl white paint appears normal.

The rest of the paint feels great, and If I apply a spray or liquid wax (meguiars ultimate wax, meguiars quick wax, etc), it feels even better. But I’ve never gotten this section of the door to feel slick or anything. I’ve never really seen the spot improve or get worse. Not sure what I can do besides take it to a detailer or Tesla certified auto body shop. I could take a polish, compound or cleaning wax to the car, but I don’t like taking that leap without a pro inspecting it first.