Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SEE and be SEEN - Transport Canada (Rear Fog Lights)

Why do our cars in North America not have this feature.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
SEE and be SEEN

SEE and be SEEN - Transport Canada

USE OF FOG LIGHTS

Driving in fog, even for the experienced motorist can be a frightening experience. Given the dangerous circumstances of driving in fog, it’s important to keep as safe as is possible and this can be achieved by using fog lights.

ARE FOG LIGHTS A LEGAL REQUIREMENT?
In the UK it is a legal requirement to have at least one rear fog light which must be located on the vehicle centre line or to the off-side (the driver’s side). All cars built for the European market come fitted with at least the minimum legal fog light requirements. Front fog lights are optional and there is no legal obligation to have them fitted. More expensive makes and models of cars may have them fitted.

WHEN TO USE FOG LIGHTS
Motorists are often unsure when exactly fog lights should and shouldn’t be used. Although it is a legal requirement to have fog lights fitted, there is no legal obligation to actually use them, even when it’s foggy.

Fog lights should be illuminated when visibility is around 100 metres or less

Using them in foggy conditions will of course increase safety. If your vehicle has rear fog lights only, it will increase your visibility for other motorists when turned on.

Coming from the UK, I can reliably state that a lot of people are too stupid to be given such a toy. I used to drive for a living, and spent far too much time being blinded by some fool who had forgotten to turn their fog lights off

They are a great safety feature when used properly however

Coming from the UK, I can reliably state that a lot of people are too stupid to be given such a toy. I used to drive for a living, and spent far too much time being blinded by some fool who had forgotten to turn their fog lights off

They are a great safety feature when used properly however

I agree completely. Around here, people seem to leave their fog lights on ALL THE TIME regardless of fog or not. Fortunately, on most (especially N. American) cars, they are largely ornamental. The rear fog lights (when there is no fog) are particularly annoying especially if they are in the same housing and are confused with brake lights. I prefer the rear fog lights be placed in a separate location from the normal tail lights.

Rear fog lights is only good for high speed autobahn driving (120+ km/h when raining.) Then the car will produce a dense water cloud behind it. When"natural fog", only in the most extreme conditions rear fog lights will be necessary imho.

On the Tesla you have a separate buttons to press to turn on the rear fog lights.

This will solve the problem that some of the other car manufactures have with customers mistakenly turning on their rear fog lights when they turn on their front fog lights.

Far better to be seen then not to be seen in the fog with the changing weather. I would rather have the option to turn on my rear fog light in bad conditions so the car behind can see me and not rear end me.

There must be a reason the European car manufactures include this safely feather as standard. Trust the Europeans they have been in the car business for a long time.

Example - Turning on Fog lights in a European Car:

pg_77_auto_icon.jpg
Automatic driving light assistant

pg_77_side_light_icon.jpg
Side lights
License plate light, instrument lighting, daytime driving lights switched off.

pg_77_lowbeam_icon.jpg
Low beam/driving light
Only with ignition on.
Fog light function and motorway light are switched off.

pg_77_rear_fog_icon.jpg
Rear fog light
Pull the switch in the low beam position.
Indicator light lights up.

The Effectiveness of Rear Fog Lights [HD] Video:

Interesting, I've never heard of rear fog lights before, much less seen any, not that I see fog very much.

As it happens I drove in fog yesterday for the first time in many years but the problem wasn't other cars — there weren't any — it was staying on the road since my local roads don't have any lines painted on them and they curve a lot. Hard to tell where the road was. Same is sometimes true in heavy snow, not that painted lines would do any good in snow.

On the Tesla you have a separate buttons to press to turn on the rear fog lights.

This will solve the problem that some of the other car manufactures have with customers mistakenly turning on their rear fog lights when they turn on their front fog lights.

Better, but still doesn't solve the problem of people using them (front or rear) when they are not required. Just this past weekend I was following some jerk in a MB with his rear fog light on. I could easily see every car on the road right to the horizon, but this idiot's light was blinding.

Reactions: richrootes