Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Seeking Advice Purchasing Used Model S from Non-TSLA Dealership

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
First time poster!

A local non-Tesla dealer has a '16 Model S 90D for sale for $80k + change. It's got just under 10k miles on it plus pan roof, next gen seats, Premium upgrades package, ultra sound package, smart air, subzero....all in midnight silver metallic. I'm going to check it out tomorrow in person.

My situation is I have a deposit for a Model 3, but with delays and the tax rebate diminishing I thought I'd shop around (I know buying used doesn't qualify me for a rebate unfortunately). I've purchased a used car before, but this being a Tesla I thought I'd ask for help since it's not the typical used car market.

1. Is this asking price close to what this car should be going for?
2. Since this is not a Tesla dealership, I assume there's room for negotiation? From my understanding Tesla dealerships don't negotiate cost.

TIA

Im guessing you are looking at the one in Tacoma? I so I was considering it before buying a new inventory 75D. Matter of fact I have the window sticker from it, PM me and Ill send it your way. I did not go for it because it didn't make sense financially speaking.

As the car is priced now it will be ~ $90K out the door after fees and taxes. Tesla has new inventory 100D models starting around 95K (105k after fees and taxes - 7500 credit = ~98K all in) so you can see that for ~$8,000 more you can have a better and newer car. Also consider that if you're financing your APR will be 2x higher (used car), it has AP1 hardware, and buying from a non-Tesla dealer (probably still has warranty and all but make sure). Realistically It would have to be in the high 60s very low 70s to make sense.

In my case I got an Aug, 2017 build new inventory with almost identical options for a bit over 79K after taxes and federal credit (I did have EAP removed which knocked dow the price 5K though).

Good luck in your decision.

One of the downsides to buying a Tesla from a non-Tesla dealership is that it will not be eligible for an extended warranty should you decide to purchase one. Since it's not a Tesla dealership, you can negotiate all you want (or at least try to). Instead, I would recommend reaching out to a Tesla owner advisor (like a salesman) and checking to see if there are any inventory models that match your criteria with discounts on them (you can get an idea of the inventory supply on a website like www.ev-cpo.com). If you don't need the extra range, the S75D is a pretty sweet deal now that the performance update got it down to S90D speeds, plus you'd be eligible for the tax credits. In addition, a bunch of features that were options are now standard (like Smart Air Suspension and Glass Roof, plus options that used to be part of the Premium Upgrades package are now standard like turning lights and power liftgate).

My '16 Model S P90DL has max rated range of 266 miles. The new 75D has a rated range of 259 miles. Last weekend, I built checked price for a new 75D with a configuration similar to the 90D you're considering. The price came in at $94k. For many reasons, I'd rather have a new 2018 for $94k with the chance of a rebate than pay mid 80's for a used car.

To more directly, answer your questions. I think the asking price is more what they are likely selling for by non-Tesla dealers. So, there should be a lot of room for negotiation as the used price is too close to new.

Last edited: