Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Seeking Advice: Use of Model 3 as Trickle Charger for LEAF

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The LEAF 12v battery will not self discharge as long as the LEAF is *not* plugged in. Its a known defect of the LEAF BMS that it won't top off the 12v battery if the car is left plugged in. Simply unplug the LEAF and it will maintain the 12v battery just fine. The LEAF has almost non existent vampire drain, so it can be left unplugged for extended periods of time.
Thanks for the confirmation.

I think though that it is more correct to say the problem exists if the car is plugged in and not charging

Last edited:
2013 Nissan Leaf was a bad year for 12 volt batteries out of Tennessee. When I went on vacation, I would connect a battery tender to the 12 volt battery. Never had a problem with my 12 volt battery on my 2011 Leaf. Battery tender on Amazon around $30.00

Fred

Agreed.

And by the same logic, a subway ticket will get you to work for $3 so it is not a great idea to use $50k car to get to work either.

You also shouldn't plug your phone into the car to charge either. It would be silly to use a $50k car to charge your phone when you can buy a phone charging battery pack for $25.

It’s different logic bro