Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Seemingly big uptake in Vampire drain.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What like in the garage? No, never have. It charges overnight on 120. So it charges at midnight finishes early morning and in a few hours at it already lost three or 4 miles and it was nice and cool. ??? It was almost like it didn't charge that night.

It's interesting that there is more vampire drain when connected to power, than there is when parking without a power connection.

We parked our 2018 X 100D (with MCU2) at an airport for 12 days and lost about 1 mile of charge per day.

But when we have it in the garage, we'll lose more charge.

This could be part of Tesla's strategy to protect the battery packs. When you're connected to power, the car drains a little charge - so the batteries aren't sitting at a constant charge level, and then periodically charges the car back to the desired level. When you're parked disconnected from power, the car is slowly draining the battery pack, so the charge level is slowly changing.

Wouldn't worry about it, as long as you are getting back to about the same level when you recharge.

Got my car in 2016 and I've never noticed anything less than 130 miles or so on the phone app at half charge. Today I noticed it just kept dropping and I lost 15 miles in one day. Did they change something?

My climate control got *stuck* on one time somehow and caused more drain than normal. Maybe something similar is happening to you? A full reboot fixed it... maybe just try a reboot and see if that does it?

I have a model s 75d 2018 and it loses about 1% of charge per day being idle. Being the geek that I am, the car is monitored so I have empirical evidence. I was recently hit by a car in the bike lane which fractured my driving leg so the tesla has been sitting idle.

idle-tesla-drain.png

I have a model s 75d 2018 and it loses about 1% of charge per day being idle. Being the geek that I am, the car is monitored so I have empirical evidence. I was recently hit by a car in the bike lane which fractured my driving leg so the tesla has been sitting idle.

idle-tesla-drain.png

Would you mind sharing your monitoring setup? I've been considering doing something similar...

When it happens at home and not the airport it is likely that the fob is close enough (like in the house in an adjacent room) to at least wake up the car. When it's awake you get 10 mi to 15 mi of vampire loss a day. If it remains asleep all day you can get 1 mi to 2 mi of loss a day.