Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Selecting a Washing and Waxing service

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

jboy210

Supporting Member
Dec 2, 2016
Northern California
Hi,

There are a number of places in the Bay Area that will come to your house or work and wash and wax your car. What should I look for in such as service?

Also, I have heard things like the paint finish on Teslas is soft and will not stand up to any mechanical buffing. And the Pearl finishing need special handling. Is this true?

Thanks!

Reactions: TintWorldSantaClara
Hi,

There are a number of places in the Bay Area that will come to your house or work and wash and wax your car. What should I look for in such as service?

Also, I have heard things like the paint finish on Teslas is soft and will not stand up to any mechanical buffing. And the Pearl finishing need special handling. Is this true?

Thanks!

As the Vendor above says, if you need/want a wash & wax service, then maybe consider a SiC polymer quartz coating to protect the paint and add hydrophobic/dirt shedding capability. I have done OptiCoat Pro on my 2015 S, and cQuartz on my wife's 2015 S70D (Obsidian black) and my 2018 P3D+ (multi-coat red). The cars have never been waxed, detailed, clay barred, compounded, etc, etc--just a commercial car wash 1-2 times a week. And they look perfect.

FWIW, my go to guy for the coating/protection is Joe at OCDetailing in Fremont:

www.bayareadetails.com

This does not exactly answer your question on wash @ home, but you won't need waxing or the like, and maybe can consider a good commercial car wash. In the SF Bay Area I have a monthly plan at Autopia:

Autopia Car Wash

For $49.95/month you get unlimited full service wash/vacuum.

YMMV.

As the Vendor above says, if you need/want a wash & wax service, then maybe consider a SiC polymer quartz coating to protect the paint and add hydrophobic/dirt shedding capability. I have done OptiCoat Pro on my 2015 S, and cQuartz on my wife's 2015 S70D (Obsidian black) and my 2018 P3D+ (multi-coat red). The cars have never been waxed, detailed, clay barred, compounded, etc, etc--just a commercial car wash 1-2 times a week. And they look perfect.

FWIW, my go to guy for the coating/protection is Joe at OCDetailing in Fremont:

www.bayareadetails.com

This does not exactly answer your question on wash @ home, but you won't need waxing or the like, and maybe can consider a good commercial car wash. In the SF Bay Area I have a monthly plan at Autopia:

Autopia Car Wash

For $49.95/month you get unlimited full service wash/vacuum.

YMMV.
Yikes. Good tip on Joe at OCDetailing, but please god don't go to Autopia :eek:. That place is where swirls are born.

I don't know of anyone in the Bay Area, though the best people to wash your car are reputable shops! Maybe there are some mobile detailers in the area that know their stuff. Plenty of them in LA, must be a few here. Does anyone know someone?

Edit: OP to answer your original question, you pretty much want someone who is obsessed with not adding swirls. Generally, these people would also know the best products to use and how to do the job properly.

Yikes. Good tip on Joe at OCDetailing, but please god don't go to Autopia :eek:. That place is where swirls are born.

I don't know of anyone in the Bay Area, though the best people to wash your car are reputable shops! Maybe there are some mobile detailers in the area that know their stuff. Plenty of them in LA, must be a few here. Does anyone know someone?

Edit: OP to answer your original question, you pretty much want someone who is obsessed with not adding swirls. Generally, these people would also know the best products to use and how to do the job properly.

I have had a different experience at Autopia, but maybe it is because I have my cars protected with an aftermarket hard protective coating (cQuartz Finest Reserve) applied by a pro who carefully corrected the paint before application. My local Autopia (in Walnut Creek) does an 'off line' wash (not through the tunnel). I wash the cars 1-2 times a week. First, pressure spray to rinse off heavy dirt. Then hand wash with fake lambswool mitts rinsed in a large bucket of soapy water (...perfect, no...). Then pressure rinsed again. Then air dried (compressed air) and then wiped with clean damp (...not dry) towels. They use different microfiber towels for different tasks and all are washed and spun damp dry separately: blue towels are used for paint/body work, red towels for wheels, yellow for glass, pink for wax (for those who wax). Come look at our 2 cars anytime and I challenge you to find any significant swirls or scratches. Remember that these cars are our daily drivers and not garage queens. I expect to see a bit of swirling or holograms over time. And FWIW every 2 years I bring the cars back to Joe @ OCD for a 'tune up' where he goes over the car, polishes out any problems, fully 'corrects' the car, and applies another coat of cQuartz.

Works for me. YMMV.