Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Selling 2016 Model S 75D 113K Miles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am selling my 2016 75D Tesla Model S, Metallic grey, black interior, 19 wheels, cold weather package, AP1.
tires have about 15 K on them so very good condition, Continental extreme contact. Only maintenance on the car was driver side door handle replaced, MCU 1 is working well. I would install MCU 2 if buyer is interested add $1500.00 to your
offer. Car comes with free super charging transferable to new owner, 4 more years of battery and powertrain warranty and free conductivity for music and pod casts. Car has been garage kept and in good condition. 1 owner and no accidents so clean title. Car fully charges to 245 miles.

I am purchasing a new model S long range. I travel from Delaware to New Jersey regularly and need more range.

Best Offer
609-638-5280
Michael

• Love
Reactions: ElectricIAC
I have received several responses from club members on my car and thank you. however I am having trouble determining the cars
value. The car is not a gas car and should not be valued as such. We should think of a Tesla as a 500K plus car and in the
near future million mile car. Obviously the battery in my 2016 S is not current tech, but it has a 8 year unlimited battery warranty so the car has a new battery waiting in the wings over the next 4 years. A new battery is worth $20K and thus the car comes with a new battery and its value is $20K. Next the car comes with free super charging for the life of the car. What is that worth? if you super charge every day and tesla charges $12.00 per charge that is $4,380 per year x 4 years = $17,520.00, Next free conductivity? Music, traffic etc. Tesla is going to charge for this but I don't know the cost? Also keep in mind that when Tesla buys cars back for resale they remove the warranty and free super charging! So what is the car worth? Any help from the club would be greatly appreciated!! Thank You :)

I have received several responses from club members on my car and thank you. however I am having trouble determining the cars
value. The car is not a gas car and should not be valued as such. We should think of a Tesla as a 500K plus car and in the
near future million mile car. Obviously the battery in my 2016 S is not current tech, but it has a 8 year unlimited battery warranty so the car has a new battery waiting in the wings over the next 4 years. A new battery is worth $20K and thus the car comes with a new battery and its value is $20K. Next the car comes with free super charging for the life of the car. What is that worth? if you super charge every day and tesla charges $12.00 per charge that is $4,380 per year x 4 years = $17,520.00, Next free conductivity? Music, traffic etc. Tesla is going to charge for this but I don't know the cost? Also keep in mind that when Tesla buys cars back for resale they remove the warranty and free super charging! So what is the car worth? Any help from the club would be greatly appreciated!! Thank You :)
It seems by your calculations that you value your car much higher than the price Tesla would resell it at with a warranty. Tesla doesn’t remove the warranty on used cars, just the remainder of an extended warranty (if purchased) and that prorated value would be refunded to the person trading the car in to Tesla. They add an additional year to the base warranty if any is remaining on the car. If you are truly asking about values Tesla advertises and sells 2016 S 75D’s (without the free supercharging) but with an extended factory warranty, and with less than half the miles for about $30-35k. I also see a Full Self Driving ($10k value) 2017 S75 with only 10,000 miles priced at $42k including the 8 year Unlimited drive battery warranty plus another year/10k on top of the remaining 4/50 original. I like and value free supercharging and most people on this forum seem to agree that the Free Supercharging is worth about $1k a year based on actual use. With your cars miles, plus the values of the available factory backed inventory it would seem if you sold yours for $30k-$35k you would be doing very well, considering that Tesla would likely value it on a trade far lower. The Premium Data plan cost is $9.99 per month, $120 per year.

Last edited:
Reactions: El joe
Sunshine,

Good points! Thanks for sharing. It is my understanding that Tesla does not offer 8 year unlimited miles powertrain warranty anymore
and certainly not on used cars. obviously I have used 4 years of the warranty and there are less than 4 years left, however in the next
4 years if driven 20K miles a year it will need a new battery thus the car comes with a new battery kind of built into the price. 8 year unlimited mile warranty is very special and something we will never see again! Lets say I drive the car another 6 months and the battery goes bad and Tesla replaces the battery. I then come back and list it again but now with a new battery! has its value increased?

Sunshine,

Good points! Thanks for sharing. It is my understanding that Tesla does not offer 8 year unlimited miles powertrain warranty anymore
and certainly not on used cars. obviously I have used 4 years of the warranty and there are less than 4 years left, however in the next
4 years if driven 20K miles a year it will need a new battery thus the car comes with a new battery kind of built into the price. 8 year unlimited mile warranty is very special and something we will never see again! Lets say I drive the car another 6 months and the battery goes bad and Tesla replaces the battery. I then come back and list it again but now with a new battery! has its value increased?

You are placing a lot of emphasis on the value of a new battery pack, while in reality, Tesla replaces very few battery packs.

As for free Supercharging, your example of $12 worth of Supercharging per day would work out to about 140 miles per day, 365 days per year. That’s 51,000 miles of driving per year. A person driving that many miles is not going to be interested in a 75 kWh Model S due to short range and low charging speed.

Adding to that last point, if most of your charging has been done on Superchargers, the car’s maximum charge rate has been throttled from its full potential, resulting in longer charge times than a vehicle with fewer miles and/or more home charging.

Not picking on your car... just setting realistic expectations.

It is my understanding that Tesla does not offer 8 year unlimited miles powertrain warranty anymore
4 years if driven 20K miles a year it will need a new battery thus the car comes with a new battery kind of built into the price. 8 year unlimited mile warranty is very special and something we will never see again!

Tesla has a 2016 MS 75D with almost half the miles (59k), AP1, 1 year/10k miles limited warranty, balance of 8 year/unlimited miles battery and drive unit warranty, clean history, etc. for $35,800. It's also located in NJ.
2016 Model S | Tesla

You are placing a lot of emphasis on the value of a new battery pack, while in reality, Tesla replaces very few battery packs.

As for free Supercharging, your example of $12 worth of Supercharging per day would work out to about 140 miles per day, 365 days per year. That’s 51,000 miles of driving per year. A person driving that many miles is not going to be interested in a 75 kWh Model S due to short range and low charging speed.

Adding to that last point, if most of your charging has been done on Superchargers, the car’s maximum charge rate has been throttled from its full potential, resulting in longer charge times than a vehicle with fewer miles and/or more home charging.

Not picking on your car... just setting realistic expectations.
TBH the 90 pack (BTX4) cars don’t actually charge that much faster and usable range doesn’t hold up well.

Our BTX5 car (MX Standard Range Raven) charges just as fast as day one (120-150KW minus SOC%) despite seeing now north of 6MW of supercharging (travel).

Charging curve is identical to BTX4.

Sunshine,

and certainly not on used cars.
Nope, just look at their used cars listed and they clearly state on the used S and X cars the offer the balance of the 8 year unlimited mile warranty on the cars that came with that warranty, they even list the expiration of the 8 years from the in service date. Is the car worth more with a repaired battery? Who knows, they don’t install a new battery but a refurbished battery that is better than a bad one but might not be better than any other used one. Hoping the battery fails so it increases the value of the car isn’t likely a good strategy. Certainly most cars are worth more if parted out if you have the patience to wait for buyers but it’s easier to just sell a car for what it’s worth.

Reactions: ElectricIAC
There are plenty of services that will estimate a cars value. Hell, reach out to Vroom and Carvana, get an offer from them and ask a few thousand higher than that. Get a trade in offer from Tesla.

I’d imagine the cars value is in the low $30’s.

Yes easy enough to do! However I believe these pricing methods are based on ICE cars not EV'S. They impute; year of car, condition, and miles driven and the price is the same for ICE or EV. My argument is there is a big difference! Lets take it a step further. You have a 2018 model S with FSD and as we know FSD is not complete yet, however we believe it will be completed soon. Does a car with this potential get a higher price now or is it only realized when FSD is legal? My guess is autopilot and or FSD will not be understood or priced by Carvana or Vroom. Tesla does not want high mileage cars and would wholesale my car for $16K. Tesla might want a 2018 FSD car in the future to add to its robo taxi fleet as a car with this technology could generate $100K of revenue annually! In summery I would say don't be so quick to sell a Tesla, especially any car with FSD! Its has the potential of being worth more than your house!

Lets take it a step further. You have a 2018 model S with FSD and as we know FSD is not complete yet, however we believe it will be completed soon. Does a car with this potential get a higher price now or is it only realized when FSD is legal? My guess is autopilot and or FSD will not be understood or priced by Carvana or Vroom. Tesla does not want high mileage cars and would wholesale my car for $16K. Tesla might want a 2018 FSD car in the future to add to its robo taxi fleet as a car with this technology could generate $100K of revenue annually! In summery I would say don't be so quick to sell a Tesla, especially any car with FSD! Its has the potential of being worth more than your house!
Don't buy too much into the Elon hype regarding FSD future value or that true (L5) FSD functionality will be completed and have necessary regulatory approval "soon".

With all due respect as others have said the market value of the car seems to be around the low to mid $30s mark. It's not like a 2016 75D is all that hard to find on the used market. For example here's another that is similar to your for sale after a minute or so of searching 2016 Used Tesla Model S 75D. Autopilot 1. All glass roof. free Supercharging. 70,221-miles. $36,999. Midlothian, Virginia.

Yes, I know it's on sale for $37k, but it has way less miles than yours, is a newer car with a longer warranty and has a couple features yours does not unless you just didn't mention them like the larger HEPA filter.

Even if you convince some people that used Model S's are currently undervalued on the used market, that likely wouldn't help you. There's no reason to pay more for yours specifically when they aren't all that hard to find and they can just buy another at market value.

Yes easy enough to do! However I believe these pricing methods are based on ICE cars not EV'S. They impute; year of car, condition, and miles driven and the price is the same for ICE or EV. My argument is there is a big difference! Lets take it a step further. You have a 2018 model S with FSD and as we know FSD is not complete yet, however we believe it will be completed soon. Does a car with this potential get a higher price now or is it only realized when FSD is legal? My guess is autopilot and or FSD will not be understood or priced by Carvana or Vroom. Tesla does not want high mileage cars and would wholesale my car for $16K. Tesla might want a 2018 FSD car in the future to add to its robo taxi fleet as a car with this technology could generate $100K of revenue annually! In summery I would say don't be so quick to sell a Tesla, especially any car with FSD! Its has the potential of being worth more than your house!

You're acting as if this car doesn't already exist in the world and thus, is impossible to value. In reality, there are plenty of cars just like yours and the market has established a pretty clear value for such cars. Long term value propositions like the ones you keep repeating, are considerations people make when purchasing a vehicle and they affect the market price of that vehicle on a macro level. In other words: the market is aware of these benefits and has priced used Teslas accordingly. You can offer up 100 reasons why you personally think it should be worth more than it is but at the end of the day, if John Q Carbuyer can go out and buy your same car for $20,000 less than what you're asking, that's what would happen and nobody would buy your car.

You won't change the broader market's mind on what the car is worth. Instead of trying to swim against the current, why don't you look to see what similarly spec'd cars are selling/ have sold for?

Reactions: Big Earl