Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Selling an Older Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wondering if anyone had advice or thoughts on the best way to sell an older Model S. I have a 2013 S 85 that I am looking to sell in order to get a Model X. I looked at trading it in to Tesla, but they would only give me peanuts. Any thoughts would be appreciated!!! Thanks in advance!!

Good news is that the latest Model X long range has come down a lot in price since you bought your S. While you may not get as much for your S as you might hope, you probably will not be paying as much for a new X as you might have feared.

There are 3rd party buyers that will give you offers that are often better than Tesla. Also selling retail, by advertising on the internet usually brings the highest offers, but that also is more work and it is hard to time your sale of your old car with the delivery of your new one.

85 battery is not in the highest demand. Newer 90 and 100 sizes have lots of improvements.

Put it online, have a good add up with everything that's been done to the car, battery pack health measures if possible and showing how fast it supercharges. I would not sell via Tesla since it will lose free supercharging which is surely going to help to sell it.

I sold my ‘13 S 85 on Cars.com. Highlight the free Supercharging for life, range and other benefits. I found there are people who really want to get into an EV for reasonable price. My buyer wanted a Tesla but did not like the smaller 3.

I was told, if you get a quote from CarMax or the like, and take that to Tesla they will match that. But you might find Vroom or Carvana will offer you a good price. Not everyone wants to sell a car themself check local dealer you never know they might heave a need. good luck

I was told, if you get a quote from CarMax or the like, and take that to Tesla they will match that.
Urban legend that some sales people repeat, but when you actually try to do it, they tell you it cannot be done. I was told the same thing on one of my Tesla purchases, then I brought not only a quote, but an actual offer to buy my trade-in at a higher price if Tesla would only trade it in so I could get the 10% sales tax credit, and they can just sell-through to the dealer. They neither upped their offer or do the sell-through, my best guess is because they knew the difference was less ~10% so it would have been a wash for me to sell it to the dealer instead of Tesla, while more convenient to sell to Tesla because I can just bring it in when picking up a new one. That was before Elon's laser focus on profitability, so today it would be even less likely for Tesla to up their price.

PS> The funny thing was the excuses I got. First I was told any offer would be ok, then they told me I need an offer from an actual NADA registered dealer (so no offers from non-dealers), then when I got one, they told me they still can't do it. So it seems they tell you want you want to hear, then make up excuses (like Elon, when he sold me a 700hp P85D which was supposed to have an 85KWh battery and have summon find me anywhere on private property for example, or like when he told me that if I buy a Tesla I will always get same or better Tesla loaner when I bring it to service - all complete and total BS purely just to make a sale). Beware of anything Tesla sales and marketing says.

Last edited:
Wondering if anyone had advice or thoughts on the best way to sell an older Model S. I have a 2013 S 85 that I am looking to sell in order to get a Model X. I looked at trading it in to Tesla, but they would only give me peanuts. Any thoughts would be appreciated!!! Thanks in advance!!
I am looking to buy an older Model S. How much are you wanting for it. Miles? Navigation?

Urban legend that some sales people repeat, but when you actually try to do it, they tell you it cannot be done. I was told the same thing on one of my Tesla purchases, then I brought not only a quote, but an actual offer to buy my trade-in at a higher price if Tesla would only trade it in so I could get the 10% sales tax credit, and they can just sell-through to the dealer. They neither upped their offer or do the sell-through, my best guess is because they knew the difference was less ~10% so it would have been a wash for me to sell it to the dealer instead of Tesla, while more convenient to sell to Tesla because I can just bring it in when picking up a new one. That was before Elon's laser focus on profitability, so today it would be even less likely for Tesla to up their price.

PS> The funny thing was the excuses I got. First I was told any offer would be ok, then they told me I need an offer from an actual NADA registered dealer (so no offers from non-dealers), then when I got one, they told me they still can't do it. So it seems they tell you want you want to hear, then make up excuses (like Elon, when he sold me a 700hp P85D which was supposed to have an 85KWh battery and have summon find me anywhere on private property for example, or like when he told me that if I buy a Tesla I will always get same or better Tesla loaner when I bring it to service - all complete and total BS purely just to make a sale). Beware of anything Tesla sales and marketing says.

This is not an urban legend. This is fact. I did this very thing when I purchased my S less than a year ago. Sent the Carmax offer via scanned PDF to my sales guy and they adjusted my trade in value.

the car market is totally different : low cost cars (the Dacia logan sedans costs 8,150€ !!) , but same cars cost more in europe than is the us. Small engines, high fuel prices, majority of manual gear transmissions, but strangely low EV market share (but changing fast, EV market share in France at 8% in january!)
A used model S is about impossible to find at 35k€

This is not an urban legend. This is fact. I did this very thing when I purchased my S less than a year ago. Sent the Carmax offer via scanned PDF to my sales guy and they adjusted my trade in value.
So like anything Tesla, works occasionally? Worked for you, didn't work for me. Or maybe you ran into those rogue sales people who negotiated - something Elon said Tesla will never do (happened few years ago, Elon was pissed).

I just took delivery of a used model S bought form Tesla today.

Tesla (based on two photos through their website) offered me a very low price for my trade-in ($6000). I asked, through e-mail, if they would match a CarMax offer and they said yes. Once I had a delivery date I went to CarMax and got an offer for $9000. I e-mail a photo of the offer to my handler and he changed the trade value within 1 hour. Today, when I showed up, I volunteered to show the CarMax offer and the person finalizing the sale seemed used with them.

Now the CarMax offer wasn't fantastic either, but we decided that it wasn't worth our time to sell it privately.

• Informative
Reactions: rsg123
So like anything Tesla, works occasionally? Worked for you, didn't work for me. Or maybe you ran into those rogue sales people who negotiated - something Elon said Tesla will never do (happened few years ago, Elon was pissed).
Maybe. But sayings it’s an urban legend makes it seem like no one can do this. Sorry you struck out. I didn’t.

Maybe. But sayings it’s an urban legend makes it seem like no one can do this. Sorry you struck out. I didn’t.
Nope. I never said they've never ever done it. It's still an urban legend that "Tesla matches higher trade-in offers". Just because it happened once or twice, doesn't mean the legend is true. For example, a few people have reported that when fixing their 85 batteries Tesla has replaced them with 90 batteries. It would be incorrect to say "if your 85 battery needs service Tesla swaps them with 90 batteries".