Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Selling car, when do I deactivate from my account?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m selling my model 3 privately and buying a model y. I see lots of info from Tesla and the forums regarding how to remove a car from my account, but nothing about the specific timing.

What I’m unclear about is, if I hand the dealership or individual the black cards(keys), sign over title, take their payment etc. can I then remove the car from my account? Or would doing so disable their cards and make the car undriveable? I don’t want them stuck and unable to drive while they wait for Tesla to link the car to their own Tesla account.

I bought a car 3rd party from someone in the last month. While we were waiting at the bank to close the deal I had him do a factory reset in the car, to remove all the personalized settings. Once he got home he removed the car from his Tesla account. It took about 2 days to get the car assigned to me, after I scanned and sent the title and a copy of my driver license. During that time I drove the car just fine and supercharging worked (had to do it on the ride home). The only thing I could not do until the transfer was complete was to use the mobile app. All in all it was pretty simple.

I recently bought a M3 second hand also. I would add that if you're going to sell it private party, to add them to the account before removing the car, and they can have access, although still limited. A factor reset will not deactivate your phone or other card keys and I had to remove the previous owners phone manually. Also, per Tesla employees, if you are selling to a dealership, any FSD features you have paid for will be deactivated. This does get transferred if you sell to a private party. Just FYI for anyone interested.

• Helpful
Reactions: Bentesling