Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Selling Question...FSD Follows the Car?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Resist

Mar 24, 2019
California
I'm pretty sure I know the answer but just want to confirm, if you sell your Tesla with FSD it follows car in a private sale correct? I know you can't transfer your FSD purchase to another car. But, lets say you trade in your FSD car to Tesla, are they going to sell it with FSD or make the new owner buy FSD?

I'm asking this because of a recent news article where someone bought a used Model S from a third party dealer, who had bought it from Tesla at auction. The owner claims the car was advertised to have EAP and FSD, and had it when originally purchased new from Tesla. But after the new owner purchased the car Tesla remotely disabled these features, claiming the new owner did not pay for those features and would need to pay $8,000 to get them.

So the care had EAP/FSD when purchased new and the original owner at some point traded it in to Tesla. And Tesla didn't include those features with the auction sale or it was an oversight. And the third party dealer that won the car at auction, advertised it has having the features, which would increase the value of the car. Then the new owner paying the extra price, buys the car thinking it has those features. I'm thinking either Tesla dropped the ball or the third party dealer lied about what the car had. That's my take, unless I misunderstood wha the article was saying.

Just wondering if Telsa is not including those extra cost features on trade in Tesla's that they sell at auction, because I know they sell some used Tesla's with FSD.

I'm pretty sure I know the answer but just want to confirm, if you sell your Tesla with FSD it follows car in a private sale correct? I know you can't transfer your FSD purchase to another car. But, lets say you trade in your FSD car to Tesla, are they going to sell it with FSD or make the new owner buy FSD?

I'm asking this because of a recent news article where someone bought a used Model S from a third party dealer, who had bought it from Tesla at auction. The owner claims the car was advertised to have EAP and FSD, and had it when originally purchased new from Tesla. But after the new owner purchased the car Tesla remotely disabled these features, claiming the new owner did not pay for those features and would need to pay $8,000 to get them.

So the care had EAP/FSD when purchased new and the original owner at some point traded it in to Tesla. And Tesla didn't include those features with the auction sale or it was an oversight. And the third party dealer that won the car at auction, advertised it has having the features, which would increase the value of the car. Then the new owner paying the extra price, buys the car thinking it has those features. I'm thinking either Tesla dropped the ball or the third party dealer lied about what the car had. That's my take, unless I misunderstood wha the article was saying.

Just wondering if Telsa is not including those extra cost features on trade in Tesla's that they sell at auction, because I know they sell some used Tesla's with FSD.
Here’s my take on it.

They will often remove FSD from cars to remarket these used cars and give the used Tesla buyer a choice whether they want that feature or not. Similarly however they do sprinkle some cars here and there with FSD (with a few examples having not had it previously) usually at a price difference not dissimilar as buying FSD after delivery but sometimes (if you’re lucky) at a decent discount when comparing cars side by side.

In the end, I don’t feel Tesla is making a bunch on the cars themselves on the used market as much as they are on selling software and subs.

I saw a link to that article on jalopnik.... one thing that stands out to me, is that after it blew up, the used car dealer chimed in and told a story that basically said the FSD was removed from the car WHILE STILL IN USED CAR DEALERS POSSESSION. The person who bought it had already put a deposit on it, the used car dealer noticed FSD was gone, and somehow managed to convince the buyer that "it was just a glitch, im sure".

So, it was not removed while in posession of the final purchaser as many report, the used car dealer knew it was removed and still went through with the sale. I didnt study this situation because frankly it doesnt impact me and I dont care enough about it, so I dont remember if the car was a salvage car or some other branded type title.

I know its on the monroney sticker, but have no idea if the monroney sticker matters for USED car purchases because the original owner could have done who knows what to any used car, so what "the car came with" doesnt seem like it would matter that much in a USED car transaction. With that being said, I feel like this particular situation is fairly crappy all around... but this used car dealer is not the first (nor will be the last) to convince someone that whatever is wrong with a car in a used car transaction "will get fixed later, for sure!".

Anyway, to your original question, OP, tesla states on their website that things like free premium connectivity stay with the car in a PRIVATE PARTY transaction, while they get removed if the car is traded into tesla.

If the car is traded into tesla, as the new owner they can do whatever they want with it. I dont know if they specifically address FSD but I believe it follows the car in a private transaction similarly.

I saw a link to that article on jalopnik.... one thing that stands out to me, is that after it blew up, the used car dealer chimed in and told a story that basically said the FSD was removed from the car WHILE STILL IN USED CAR DEALERS POSSESSION. The person who bought it had already put a deposit on it, the used car dealer noticed FSD was gone, and somehow managed to convince the buyer that "it was just a glitch, im sure".

Kind of what I was thinking. No wonder dealerships are known as "Stealerships". Thanks for the info!

I guess the next question is, do you tell your insurance company when you get a paid upgrade? You'd want that value should your car get totaled. However, you also don't want an increased premium because rates are high enough for a Tesla.