Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Selling TSLA Options - Be the House

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Very interesting video. Basically, look for 45 DTE with nice IV (ie better than 50% of the 52-week range so anything 42%+ is ok):
1630767137912.png

Then, open IC with short=15 delta and long=4 strikes away. Close the position at 25% of credit since there is less advantage of holding it through expiration. Profit per day will be higher. If using BTC stop limits then this means one can open ICs sequentially one after another since there is no need of waiting for expirations or 80-99% profit.

To apply the lesson, this looks like Oct15 ICx1 605/625/840/860, credit 8400. BTC limit order at 2100. Margin 6400 for 42 days. I'm gonna open this on Tue as a test (using separate legging in to maximize credit) to see how long it takes to reach 25% profitability. Excellent opportunity to see how theta decay works.
Oct 1 is safer. There could be explosive stock advance after third quarter deliveries number.

My only concern is that TSLA IV right now is pretty low, that might skew things as this strategy is not tested in that scenario.
I think that this low IV would mean this strategy is more beneficial. If the stock starts to make a run and IV goes up then taking profits early to open new positions would end up being much better as far as ROI is concerned.

I was also thinking about how this would apply to weeklies. Are we already doing this because most of us are selling next weeks options.

I had set my early close rate at 80%, resulting in last week closing most of my spreads on Tuesday I think. Then I opened more during a slight pull back and those too ended up expiring or closing for pennies.

trade fees also come into play here. That video was 2013 and I think most trades still had like a $5 fee back then, which I think is one of the reasons they went for 45 DTE.

Here’s another video that is interesting along similar lines though much more recent. I only got half way through it before I had to run some errands but the big thing that stood out to me is their IC strategy.

Basicly they are saying to sell the put side on Monday /Tuesday and sell the call side on Wednesday Thursday once you have an idea of where the stock/etf is heading for that week.

What im not sure of was if they sell the call side for that same week or the following week.

That is also one of my big concerns with long term planning. Will this TSLA well run dry one day? I strongly think the answer to that is no. But it's important to think through alternatives.

I believe this information edge we have as passionate Tesla fans gives us a huge edge trading options around it. We have people on this forum flying drones over factories and counting cars on ships for crying out loud! Plus we are happy to accumulate shares because of the conviction we have around the company and it's future.

Could that be transferred to another stock? I'd never find another company that I will have this passion about, but I'm pretty sure I could immerse myself in another company enough to have a similar information edge. It wouldn't be as fun, but the strategies would be the same. In fact, being dispassionate about the underlying company might not be a bad thing, to make more calculated data based decisions.
I didn’t start making money trading options until I was dead inside toward underlying. Now I try to ask myself each morning, how many metaphorical baby seals need to be clubbed so I can sell pelts on the black market? My eye patch and Russian accent are just part of the winning mindset.

Comrade it is coincidence that “selling pelt” and “selling put” sound very similar with Russian accent no?

Wow, what's the thinking for these? Seems like great premiums!
You can get amazing premiums if you're willing to trade a few weeks out. I try to keep a few longer term positions like this on.

The 10/1 I put on Thursday, and I think I may have actually put the 9/24 trade on last week (oops)? My thinking was that there's strong support at a trend line that's advancing upwards as well as technical support at 715 that I expect to hold, or at least for us to revisit in the event that there is a major pushdown around quad witching on 9/17.

Very interesting video. Basically, look for 45 DTE with nice IV (ie better than 50% of the 52-week range so anything 42%+ is ok):
1630767137912.png

Then, open IC with short=15 delta and long=4 strikes away. Close the position at 25% of credit since there is less advantage of holding it through expiration. Profit per day will be higher. If using BTC stop limits then this means one can open ICs sequentially one after another since there is no need of waiting for expirations or 80-99% profit.

To apply the lesson, this looks like Oct15 ICx1 605/625/840/860, credit 8400. BTC limit order at 2100. Margin 6400 for 42 days. I'm gonna open this on Tue as a test (using separate legging in to maximize credit) to see how long it takes to reach 25% profitability. Excellent opportunity to see how theta decay works.
Thanks for writing this out. Max gain to risk on that trade when I enter it is $418 to $1582. Which isn’t bad I suppose, but idea is maximum theta burnage…

If it wasn’t overlapping the 2 months of production and earnings, I’d consider it. Still is good mental exercise to understand which weeks we are targeting to likely take that profit. What do you think?

I, on the other hand, don't mind weekend theta, assuming that I can roll away a bad week (which I've had to do). So I wanted to share some of my thoughts for the coming weeks that I plan to put trades on for today and get some feedback.

9/10 expiration already has nearly 300k OI and a max pain of 725. I'm going to look to sell puts at 725 and 715, expecting support from max pain at 725 and technicals at 715. I'm guessing we see resistance around 750-765, but I'll just wait until Monday and see.

9/17 I'm guessing will be a down week, but I'm just not sure how. FSD 10 should be released to the beta testers over that weekend, and if Elon is correct, the news should be very positive. We often don't see the catalysts that really move the stock coming (S&P inclusion hit about 2 weeks earlier than I would have ever thought possible, for instance), but MMs have a lot of incentive to push us down. Since that's quad witching, just an overall down market dragging us down is possible. I've got calls sold at 765 @ $9 for this week.

10/1 expiration looks like a very good chance to be a breakout week, but I'll sell puts for 10/8. FSD Beta button might come out 9/24, which means the wider public gets to experience it over that weekend. Presumably this is bullish. Also, anticipation of a blow out Q3 delivery number, which should be coming out early the following week, should push the SP higher. So I'm looking to sell some ITM BPS for that following week, probably around 765 short strike, meaning I expect us to top 765 by expiration at 10/8.

For all of these trades more than 1 week out, I'm using maybe 10% of my firepower total, so not massive positions. I still do most of my trading week to week, but I like to have positions on that are a month or so out to take advantage of unexpected moves in the SP and gather theta.

Overall, I think that the market isn't pricing in immanent TSLA success on FSD, and if it becomes clear from FSD 10 and the beta button that Tesla actually is the leader here by a wide margin (which I think they are), the stock may go 2019-2020 style nuts on us. At the very least if the math on FSD take rate goes from ~20% to ~70% on a "good enough" FSD, with a lot of existing Tesla owners hopping on, that should blow earnings estimates out of the water to a degree that is scary.

Worst case for next week being 10 under max pain (715) seems fine to me? Selling at max pain also seems reasonable to me given the recent strength of the stock, manipulations downward needing to be unwound, and likelihood that max pain will rise sometime next week as traders put on call options. But I could certainly be wrong about that.

I sold 9/10 puts at 750 in an ITM spread, which has a much different risk/reward ratio. The position risks $3.35 on a $10 spread, so I'm not actually expecting the SP to be over 750. I'll close this on Tuesday during a pop unless the max pain chart dictates otherwise. It has very low capital risk for what could be a good sized reward.

Your point about quad witching (it's quad this month, not triple) is a good one. It makes sense that the MMs would want to start to bring the SP down next week, but would they try to bring it down past that week's max pain? Also, max pain tends to change as more options are opened, which we won't see until later next week for 9/17. I believe that 9/17 MP will rise significantly by the Monday of that week. If I had to guess maybe to 690ish. I definitely think that's likely to be a down week, but how far? I don't have any puts open for that week (other than ones I put on like 6 months ago) either. The trendline I mentioned (that we bounced off of like a rocketship a couple of days after the autopilot investigation was announced - also a monthly options expiration week I believe) should bring us back up the following weeks, hence my positions for 9/24 and 10/1.

Again, thanks for the feedback!

Interesting to think about what is optimal for time to expiry when selling options. 3 weeks out obviously gives higher premiums, but it ties up the margin (or shares for covered calls) longer. I personally think selling a weekly 3 weeks in a row will usually give a better return than an option 3 weeks out. It also allows you more flexibility to adjust strike prices each week depending on whether the SP is up or down.

Posting this here for some weekend discussion. :)

Selling big boy iron condors - TastyTrade

They are talking a lot about what we have been talking about the past month or so. Really interesting section on taking profits early too.
@Theshadows thank you posting the video!

1630767137912.png

I watched the video as well, very interesting. Seeking your thoughts on --
  • It sounds like this works consistently when IV is > 50%. So during times of relative low IV (we're trending ~8-10% TSLA 52-week IV now?), does this mean we shouldn't utilize the strategy, or is there a way to alter it to make it still work consistently? Maybe move the strikes out to 2 standard deviations rather than 1...though premiums will be tiny??
  • I took the 25% max profit to mean, if selling IC for $4 credit, then set the BTC at 3$, rather than BTC at 1$

Interesting to think about what is optimal for time to expiry when selling options. 3 weeks out obviously gives higher premiums, but it ties up the margin (or shares for covered calls) longer. I personally think selling a weekly 3 weeks in a row will usually give a better return than an option 3 weeks out. It also allows you more flexibility to adjust strike prices each week depending on whether the SP is up or down.
Keep in mind that you don't have to hold to expiration just because it's longer DTE. I closed a 9/10 BPS early this week for about 70% profits that I held for maybe 1.5 weeks. My 9/24 +660/-710 BPS position is already at 50% profit after a similar amount of time. I'll probably close it once it hits 70% or 80%. Mathematically, you're probably right, but this is an order of magnitude less stressful, and I like to diversify in my 100% TSLA options strategy ;).

Last edited:
Keep in mind that you don't have to hold to expiration just because it's longer DTE. I closed a BPS last week for about 70% profits that I held for maybe 1.5 weeks. My 9/24 +660/-710 BPS position is already at 50% profit after a similar amount of time. I'll probably close it once it hits 70% or 80%. Mathematically, you're probably right, but this is an order of magnitude less stressful, and I like to diversify in my 100% TSLA options strategy ;).
Good points although the same can be said about weeklies as well - can close profitable positions early and reopen newer positions to get more profit/margin used. I actually find the weeklies less stressful for some reason as they are easier to keep a handle on for me and I can make decisions faster about whether to keep, roll or close since the expiration date is so soon. To each his own I guess!

First, thanks for calling me out on a trade you think is unreasonable @ammulder . I gave the rationale for these higher up in a post yesterday morning:

Worst case for next week being 10 under max pain (715) seems fine to me? Selling at max pain also seems reasonable to me given the recent strength of the stock, manipulations downward needing to be unwound, and likelihood that max pain will rise sometime next week as traders put on call options. But I could certainly be wrong about that.

I sold 9/10 puts at 750 in an ITM spread, which has a much different risk/reward ratio. The position risks $3.35 on a $10 spread, so I'm not actually expecting the SP to be over 750. I'll close this on Tuesday during a pop unless the max pain chart dictates otherwise. It has very low capital risk for what could be a good sized reward.

Your point about quad witching (it's quad this month, not triple) is a good one. It makes sense that the MMs would want to start to bring the SP down next week, but would they try to bring it down past that week's max pain? Also, max pain tends to change as more options are opened, which we won't see until later next week for 9/17. I believe that 9/17 MP will rise significantly by the Monday of that week. If I had to guess maybe to 690ish. I definitely think that's likely to be a down week, but how far? I don't have any puts open for that week (other than ones I put on like 6 months ago) either. The trendline I mentioned (that we bounced off of like a rocketship a couple of days after the autopilot investigation was announced - also a monthly options expiration week I believe) should bring us back up the following weeks, hence my positions for 9/24 and 10/1.

Again, thanks for the feedback!

A few things:
  • Not trying to call you out, trying to understand the thinking, to improve my own. :)
  • What is the fourth in quad witching? After weekly, monthly, quarterly options.
  • Trying to wrap my mind around the 740/750 call spread. I’d never though about that kind of small ITM spread. Looking at the closing prices, I might have picked 750/760, as it has closer to a $9 premium on $10 margin (very little max loss), but looks like it still returns $4-5 on a $10-$20 rise in stock price. Basically I think I’d try to pick the lowest available spread with a ~$9 premium — so a pop turns that into a $4-$6 premium. Not trying to criticize; the numbers may have been different when you ordered and I have the leisure on the weekend to poke around yet I’m also not seeing how things decay over a few days. Anyway, it looks like a bet on a $10-20 pop in stock price in the pretty short term. Might generally be a good Friday strategy. (No, autocorrect, not a once-a-year Good Friday strategy. Sigh.)
  • Am I just burnt from those random $50 dips earlier in the year? I get that $715 should be safe. I can’t convince myself it will be safe. It may be that I haven't adjusted my thinking from single puts to spreads. I guess, ironically, I need some spreads to go bad on me to see how that goes. So maybe I should put in one aggressive one as a learning experience.
  • I haven’t figured out my goal yet. It ranges from a monthly payment for our X on order (dear minivan don’t let the door hit you on the way out!) to pre-paying it, and is bounded by the unknown time until X deliveries actually start. That ends up being quite a bit of variation! I guess I’m trying to get a grasp on what’s realistic — and what keeps me up at night.

A few things:
  • Not trying to call you out, trying to understand the thinking, to improve my own. :)
  • What is the fourth in quad witching? After weekly, monthly, quarterly options.
  • Trying to wrap my mind around the 740/750 call spread. I’d never though about that kind of small ITM spread. Looking at the closing prices, I might have picked 750/760, as it has closer to a $9 premium on $10 margin (very little max loss), but looks like it still returns $4-5 on a $10-$20 rise in stock price. Basically I think I’d try to pick the lowest available spread with a ~$9 premium — so a pop turns that into a $4-$6 premium. Not trying to criticize; the numbers may have been different when you ordered and I have the leisure on the weekend to poke around yet I’m also not seeing how things decay over a few days. Anyway, it looks like a bet on a $10-20 pop in stock price in the pretty short term. Might generally be a good Friday strategy. (No, autocorrect, not a once-a-year Good Friday strategy. Sigh.)
  • Am I just burnt from those random $50 dips earlier in the year? I get that $715 should be safe. I can’t convince myself it will be safe. It may be that I haven't adjusted my thinking from single puts to spreads. I guess, ironically, I need some spreads to go bad on me to see how that goes. So maybe I should put in one aggressive one as a learning experience.
  • I haven’t figured out my goal yet. It ranges from a monthly payment for our X on order (dear minivan don’t let the door hit you on the way out!) to pre-paying it, and is bounded by the unknown time until X deliveries actually start. That ends up being quite a bit of variation! I guess I’m trying to get a grasp on what’s realistic — and what keeps me up at night.
I didn't mean to sound like I was offended. Just having a glass of wine since it's my day off ;).

Quad witching also includes futures, and is once per quarter:

You're probably right about the 750/760 spread. I chose 750 as the short strike because I think there's actually a chance that we could see a sustained move that high. SP seems to want to be in the 735-740 range to me, and 750 isn't so far away from that. And yes, it's basically a low risk high reward bet on a Monday or Tuesday pop. I could just buy call options, but I'd rather sell puts.

For feeling burned, I get that, I really do. I got caught in some short calls just after earnings because I wasn't giving the stock enough credit and realized I made a poor decision because I was emotional. I knew (and had planned for, but then ignored, lol) that there would likely be a "three day rule" pop in the price, but was so beat down I didn't want to run the risk of losing out on call premium again. However, we're now in a bull trend (all of the moving averages are positive sloping, higher highs, higher lows, etc.), so I decided to reset my expectations. Also, I feel a lot more confident now that I've had a few spreads go bad on me and got out just fine, had some calls go ITM, figured that out, etc.

For myself, my baseline goal, since I'm mostly holding LEAPS + cash, is to make at least enough money to pay for the theta on those leaps (which is substantial). So long as I can keep rolling those leaps out, the market will eventually figure out that Tesla is worth a lot more than its current value.

@Theshadows thank you posting the video!

I watched the video as well, very interesting. Seeking your thoughts on --
  • It sounds like this works consistently when IV is > 50%. So during times of relative low IV (we're trending ~8-10% TSLA 52-week IV now?), does this mean we shouldn't utilize the strategy, or is there a way to alter it to make it still work consistently? Maybe move the strikes out to 2 standard deviations rather than 1...though premiums will be tiny??
  • I took the 25% max profit to mean, if selling IC for $4 credit, then set the BTC at 3$, rather than BTC at 1$
BTC at 1, not 4 (see video at 10:39 mark)

I think the video didn't say trade this if current IV>50%. It said the week they are choosing has an IV that was above the 50% avg of the last 52 wks. So, for TSLA, anything above (1.259-.431)/2=41.4% is good and try 45 DTE.
1630785941639.png

I will try 10/1 (ie 46.4% is higher than 41.4%) - someone said stay away from 10/15 earnings.

What fascinates me the most is early BTC in 13.8 days instead of waiting for the full 43.7 days. Therefore, i can sell 3 ICs instead of 1 and all 3 will be 100% (ie 22/22) chance of success. Even if the grand total credit is the same, the early BTC has a higher chance of profit and lower risk.

1630787295499.png

Of course, selling weekly IC also works, coz one can sell more qty overall. "Don't fix what isn't broken." The annoyance here is the constant guessing of range and timing the STO. The video removes all the guessing and timing using fixed rules (choose the DTE, select 16 delta, spread is 4 strikes, BTC at 25%, rinse/repeat). I suspect the margin room from IC to IC will be fixed value, as well.

I wonder if anyone can backtest this...

Let me ask a question, and I'm sorry if I've missed this:

What's the best way to roll a put spread that's going into the money? (I've heard you say do it before the midway point of the spread is ITM, FWIW.)

Do you roll both sides together? Or roll the sold side and leave or close the bought side? I guess I'm thinking you roll both sides together to avoid a sudden increase in margin requirement if it turns from a spread into a standalone sold put.

Good points although the same can be said about weeklies as well - can close profitable positions early and reopen newer positions to get more profit/margin used. I actually find the weeklies less stressful for some reason as they are easier to keep a handle on for me and I can make decisions faster about whether to keep, roll or close since the expiration date is so soon. To each his own I guess!
Me too. I usually Sell 3-10 DTE. Thinking about this past week. Particularly on Thursday and Friday. Had I closed at lower profit percentages, 25-30. I would have closed almost all of my spreads late Thursday early Friday and resold them mid day Friday. I know this is only one example, however I’m going to test it out in coming weeks with half of my positions.

BTC at 1, not 4 (see video at 10:39 mark)

I think the video didn't say trade this if current IV>50%. It said the week they are choosing has an IV that was above the 50% avg of the last 52 wks. So, for TSLA, anything above (1.259-.431)/2=41.4% is good and try 45 DTE.
View attachment 705215
I will try 10/1 (ie 46.4% is higher than 41.4%) - someone said stay away from 10/15 earnings.

What fascinates me the most is early BTC in 13.8 days instead of waiting for the full 43.7 days. Therefore, i can sell 3 ICs instead of 1 and all 3 will be 100% (ie 22/22) chance of success. Even if the grand total credit is the same, the early BTC has a higher chance of profit and lower risk.

View attachment 705223

Of course, selling weekly IC also works, coz one can sell more qty overall. "Don't fix what isn't broken." The annoyance here is the constant guessing of range and timing the STO. The video removes all the guessing and timing using fixed rules (choose the DTE, select 16 delta, spread is 4 strikes, BTC at 25%, rinse/repeat). I suspect the margin room from IC to IC will be fixed value, as well.

I wonder if anyone can backtest this...
I saw they were selling 45 DTE. The video was also made in 2013 when fees and commissions were enormous then.

with the low fees we now have we are mostly trading weeklies. I’m looking how this will effect weekly returns, even with our low fees now they will add up if we are putting on 3 trades per week for what normally would have been one or 1.5 frases per week.

it also requires more time to manage, which when you calculate it on $/hr you made, it might not be better. However at this stage I am doing so much learning about the mechanics of this stuff that I’m spending 4-5 hours per day regardless. I mean heck, here I am on a holiday weekend brainstorming with all of you and listening to YouTube videos about selling spreads while sanding the top of my new desk in my wood shop.

Let me ask a question, and I'm sorry if I've missed this:

What's the best way to roll a put spread that's going into the money? (I've heard you say do it before the midway point of the spread is ITM, FWIW.)

Do you roll both sides together? Or roll the sold side and leave or close the bought side? I guess I'm thinking you roll both sides together to avoid a sudden increase in margin requirement if it turns from a spread into a standalone sold put.
i have the same problem
1630805560746.png

Rather than risk early assignment (mp 725 and with call wall 735 too close), i am thinking BTC asap, and then open 9/24 +p660/-p700 BPS (ie flip-roll from call to put). Total is net credit and uses just a little more margin.