Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Selling TSLA Options - Be the House

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I gave up on re-selling assigned puts. Trying to wait it out with a bunch of assigned shares, bought on margin. Will be selling aggressive CCs against them to pay off margin interest.
Do you select ATM strikes 5DTE weeklies for the CCs you sell? Once they get assigned you sell the short puts again until assignement, rinse and repeat?

Or do you select dates further out?

Just got assigned on 11 -p380 Jan25

These were -p430 Jan25 that got assigned last week and I took a 50k loss rolling them down to -p380 and they got assigned 1 week later.

I don’t know what to do anymore, unfortunately

Why not buy something like a $10 / $380 bull call spread? Similar characteristics.

I believe most puts or put spreads can be mimicked with call spreads. I have no idea what the likelyhood of a DITM call like $10 getting assigned is.

Where are the dip buyers

Seriously, where are the Republican Billionaires that should be buying Tesla stock right now? I hope Elon can find someone for Twitter ASAP. That and a Q4 beat could be a temporary turning point. I need this because I am really close to capitulation to get rid of all my margin.

I sold $170cc for this week on the open.

Volume almost 30M at 30 minutes in - I thought most WS firms were on vacation this time of year?

So, some entity is dumping massive volume on TSLA again (going on a week now) and someone is buying the shares at a steep discount. Question is who is the one buying?

No guesses from me, just steadily converting shares over to January 2025 leaps ($200 strike calls) at about 300 to 500 shares a day and banking the extra cash for later.

Seriously, where are the Republican Billionaires that should be buying Tesla stock right now? I hope Elon can find someone for Twitter ASAP. That and a Q4 beat could be a temporary turning point. I need this because I am really close to capitulation to get rid of all my margin.

I sold $170cc for this week on the open.
I capitulated this morning when I received an email on the assignment of the Jan2025 contracts. I left the house and went to work instead of selling all my TSLA at open and refund my margin and be left with 25% of my original shares.

Volume almost 30M at 30 minutes in - I thought most WS firms were on vacation this time of year?

So, some entity is dumping massive volume on TSLA again (going on a week now) and someone is buying the shares at a steep discount. Question is who is the one buying?

No guesses from me, just steadily converting shares over to January 2025 leaps ($200 strike calls) at about 300 to 500 shares a day and banking the extra cash for later.

Apparently WS firms love TSLA so much that they trade it from their islands :)

I'm so hesitant to deploy my dry powder. The self doubt gets amplified everyday. How confident do you feel about the January 2025 LEAPS? I know that's a silly question but I'm debating if I should buy shares instead of LEAPS. Just not sure if the risk/reward is there especially if the Fed does not reduce interest rates until 2024. I'm aware of the catalysts and not worried about TSLA but have to worry about macros, no?

I'm so hesitant to deploy my dry powder. The self doubt gets amplified everyday. How confident do you feel about the January 2025 LEAPS? I know that's a silly question but I'm debating if I should buy shares instead of LEAPS. Just not sure if the risk/reward is there especially if the Fed does not reduce interest rates until 2024. I'm aware of the catalysts and not worried about TSLA but have to worry about macros, no?
I have a couple of Jan25 150 LEAPs. I figure they can be rolled, if necessary.

Reactions: UltradoomY

I feel insanely good about them, I actually can't believe how cheap they are at this point. It's more than 2 years away and the fair value share price if we argued it would be somewhere between $225 and $275 in a recession with the earnings and discounted growth going forward.

If Tesla only grows 30% cars and earnings for the next 2 years P/E will still compress to under 20 next year and lower in 2024.
Wild discount right now on TSLA.

Just looking at metrics if we hit the lower bear case for earnings next year we have to be above $200 for the P/E to not be in the teens.

All my capital is tied up in margin requirement from my underwater puts

Yes, I mean going forward, instead of deploying capital to selling way OTM puts or put spreads, use the same capital to buy call spreads that exhibit the same risk / reward behavior, but presumably much less chance of being assigned.

This is what I have done. I unfortunately learned the hard way especially with put spreads . When the sold puts were assigned , I had to sell the shares and then the long put. But I couldn’t do these trades at exactly the same time. First I sold shares then sold the puts. The leverage X delay of say 30 seconds meant the share price swing of a few $ in the wrong way meant an actual loss in the entire set of transactions.

I should have just rolled / closed when it was still a spread. But better yet, I should have flipped it to a call spread to avoid this potential stress entirely.

After my leaps getting completely wrecked, I personally would only buy shares again. But I'm not bullish enough to buy shares now. Maybe next year.