Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Selling TSLA Options - Be the House

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a certain number of positions (common or LEAPS) I don’t mind losing if we finally get a big run. Right now enough to sell maybe 30 contracts against - it was more like 50 last month but I’m getting bullish again. So if I can close some out this week (not looking like it), I then have flexibility to double and roll up my other short calls.

You could also do things like roll out 1 contract to make 5-10 far OTM contracts. When that one expires, you can roll out 1 more and repeat. Flipping half the calls to puts, if you have the margin, is also really useful in guaranteeing that half the position expires.

Of course, it’s possible that the stock keeps moving up more and you get deeper in the hole. That’s why it’s important to be at peace with losing the shares if you’re playing chicken with the steamroller. I have many more uncovered shares and LEAPS so I’m still happy if it goes up. After this past year and a half, I almost see the covered calls as a necessary sacrifice to get the share price up for the rest of my position.

I’m mainly just trying to stay ATM with my positions because that’s where the premium is. And it allows me to keep rolling the strike up each week, compared to when it gets too DITM and there are no good rolls. I’ve also been selling a few puts in a different account at the same strike to make a straddle across the 2 accounts, so if I have to roll at least I’m cashing in on my other account.

For your positions, I personally wouldn’t do anything until they’re closer to the money. Remember, you’re okay with having the shares called away, so you don’t need to do anything but wait to see what happens.

Thanks.

Regarding my positions, is there any wisdom to close them now at a loss to sell them later for a better premium as the share price rises or is that trying to time and I could get it wrong?

Thanks.

Regarding my positions, is there any wisdom to close them now at a loss to sell them later for a better premium as the share price rises or is that trying to time and I could get it wrong?

That’s trying to time - the way I see it, you have equal chance of getting it wrong or right whatever you do. But I really try to stay away from making quick adjustments to my original position for a few reasons.

1) The psychological regret is more if you adjusted the position and then you were wrong. I’d rather be patient with my original position that I entered into and be wrong then to panic BTC at a loss and be wrong.

2) At least at this point, I still see the market being choppy and relatively flat. If you always buy back when it goes against you, you will be taking a lot of losses you don’t need to and then you still have the anxiety of when to resell.

3) If you’re OTM you have >50% chance of staying OTM, all things being equal.

4) You were okay with being exercised when you sold. That’s the only advantage I know of when selling options - to be okay with either outcome is really liberating. If you take a loss just because the market went against you, it means you weren’t really okay with being exercised.

Ultimately, I’ve come to a place where I just try to psychologically balance my positions - if I find myself too desperate for the stock to go up or down, I leverage up or down the other way accordingly. I have a large long position, so selling weekly calls balances it out in that I either make a weekly income or my net worth goes up.

At the end of the day, the mental stress is not worth it to make a few bucks, especially when you never know what’s going to happen, anyway.

That’s trying to time - the way I see it, you have equal chance of getting it wrong or right whatever you do. But I really try to stay away from making quick adjustments to my original position for a few reasons.

1) The psychological regret is more if you adjusted the position and then you were wrong. I’d rather be patient with my original position that I entered into and be wrong then to panic BTC at a loss and be wrong.

2) At least at this point, I still see the market being choppy and relatively flat. If you always buy back when it goes against you, you will be taking a lot of losses you don’t need to and then you still have the anxiety of when to resell.

3) If you’re OTM you have >50% chance of staying OTM, all things being equal.

4) You were okay with being exercised when you sold. That’s the only advantage I know of when selling options - to be okay with either outcome is really liberating. If you take a loss just because the market went against you, it means you weren’t really okay with being exercised.

Ultimately, I’ve come to a place where I just try to psychologically balance my positions - if I find myself too desperate for the stock to go up or down, I leverage up or down the other way accordingly. I have a large long position, so selling weekly calls balances it out in that I either make a weekly income or my net worth goes up.

At the end of the day, the mental stress is not worth it to make a few bucks, especially when you never know what’s going to happen, anyway.

Excellent, very helpful psychology.

Your last paragraph brings it home for me. Finding balance between income/greed/stress is definitely key.

I’m working on that specifically. I turned what was a great April into a May with -$20k because of closing various short positions that I should’ve just held open or rolled. Hopefully June will be better!

For some good news, I was able to escape a ton of shares at $203.55 with a bit of gains which I need it for raising capital. At least that was a win!

Thanks!

What would you guys call what happened this morning at the open? An IV spike? Haven't seen much movement like that before.

Wanted to sell a covered call for this week, and in the 5 minutes it took to make sure my wife was fine with selling the shares if it got exercised, the price of the call had dropped in half. Put in a limit order just in case it popped back up, but even though the SP recovered, the option prices never did.

Any way to take advantage of spikes like that other than setting optimistic limit orders?

• Informative
Reactions: UltradoomY
What would you guys call what happened this morning at the open? An IV spike? Haven't seen much movement like that before.

Wanted to sell a covered call for this week, and in the 5 minutes it took to make sure my wife was fine with selling the shares if it got exercised, the price of the call had dropped in half. Put in a limit order just in case it popped back up, but even though the SP recovered, the option prices never did.

Any way to take advantage of spikes like that other than setting optimistic limit orders?
Yes - that is exactly what happened - IV went up about 8pts. for ATM and close to the money options - I don't follow IV in general - just have the option instant IV on my trading tool.

I was able to close out my $220C's for $0.60 after the pop since IV went back down - net $1.10 per contract today.

Will have another order ready to go at open tomorrow. It really is playing with fire though now that we closed over the 200SMA (IMO) and we are set for a possible run.

If the golden cross happens right before the P&D report (should be close if we stay in this range) I will be buying some medium time frame calls in the $250 range for Lotto tickets before earnings.

Not much in the way of advice, but be ready to make a move if you are looking to sell the CC's

I have some June 24 300 Leaps. Is there a strategy around rolling these? Given how far they are OTM, how long should i hold on to them before rolling? I assumed i should roll at least 1 year out. What aobut position size and strike? Prioritize position size and go further OTM? Roll flat with less contracts? Or start fresh and look at where i want to be in terms of ATM strikes?

Highest call and put OI at $200 and $185, max pain $190. C200 trimmed, C230 gained followed by C205 and C210. P185, P190, P195 gained as well.

day2dayoi-jun-2-30-31.png

Looking at the Lvl2 live stream there doesn't seem to be anything in the way until 205 - which looks to be a good size resistance and $204.58 is the first pivot point - I can see
So looking to open $215's this morning when we are bouncing off of $204.
Should get $1.50 each for them and have the order set already - with an auto close at $0.50 after.

Playing with fire but ok since I am in front of my terminal and can adjust quickly if needed.

Edit - lol, so far I am pretty wrong on the above....

Last edited:
@dl003 Thank you for reiterating over and over how what goes up must come down (usually), especially when the ascent is steep and driven by macro factors and occasional euphoria.

At $204 it was hard for a noob like me to conceive it being at $195 again so soon and yet here we are (similar cycle happened several times this past month).

During the dip I was able to do some profitable housekeeping on some short calls and also sold 2x 6/2 -P195 and -P192.50 to make up for some losses. I picked those strike since $195 is the bottom of the BB and there's +GEX support at 195 too. If they go ITM and exercise I'll just sell CC against or hold for next ride up. If we lose 193 I'll consider selling at b/e.

1685548356219.png

Bullish momentum has fallen quite a lot (China economy slowdown news perhaps adding to the pressure?):

1685548523095.png

Dealer Greeks buildup are heading into "caution going long" territory (see far right, long red lines = higher stock prices):

1685548613009.png

Friday's price distribution looks quite volatile:

1685548725137.png

Last edited:
Some data for consideration per Cary Artec, Wicked Stocks:

Solid support in the low $190's ($193-$190.48) and can contain selling pressure. Can go long and buy calls there.
A close below $188.71 brings $170.56 in 1-3 weeks and can bottom out there. At $176 can go long again anticipating $208.93.
Can tap out at $208.93 for the rest of the summer.

Some data for consideration per Cary Artec, Wicked Stocks:

Solid support in the low $190's ($193-$190.48) and can contain selling pressure. Can go long and buy calls there.
A close below $188.71 brings $170.56 in 1-3 weeks and can bottom out there. At $176 can go long again anticipating $208.93.
Can tap out at $208.93 for the rest of the summer.

Cary's numbers didn't really work out in this run up. His provided resistance levels were easily passed and some other levels took time.