Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Selling TSLA Options - Be the House

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
not-advice
More adjustments for me this morning. I'm using this $250ish share price to get back closer to balance in cash and shares.

Sold some of my purchased Jan '25 200 strike calls at $100 (in at $42, out at $100). I've got most of these left, but raising some cash at this point feels good to me.

This gets me closer to 1 part cash to 2 parts shares, so still overweight shares from where I'd like to be.

EDIT: And some Jun '24 200 strike calls. Feels like I'm holding a fire sale. Reality is that I kept buying the dip most of the way down to 100 (130s I think was my lowest buy). Selling some of that and I'm still >50% shares (by which I mean both shares and high DTE calls). More sales are necessary to get back to 50/50.

Also thinking the same as you on the shitputs idea. I bought July 7th +p195s for .88. My feeling is that we've run up so far, so fast, with effectively no news along the way, that a fall back into the low 200s on a similar lack of news is trivial. And still way far ahead of where we were a month ago. This purchases hedges against that outcome.

I'm looking for a noticeable down day before opening new csp or bps.
House Rule:
Sell, Don't buy ... so selling CC's instead of buying PUTS ;) cheers!!

Reactions: SpeedyEddy
1. Why didn’t the c825’s show up on early 6/16 Max-Pain charts?
2. Tomorrow, June 16th, Quad witching day, is liquidity dramatically up or down from today, or even, even? I have to do some DITM cc rolls, should I do before 1PM to avoid late-day illiquidity?
Did you uncheck the Zoom In box?

1686859408576.png

Reactions: UltradoomY
not-advice
More adjustments for me this morning. I'm using this $250ish share price to get back closer to balance in cash and shares.

Sold some of my purchased Jan '25 200 strike calls at $100 (in at $42, out at $100). I've got most of these left, but raising some cash at this point feels good to me.

This gets me closer to 1 part cash to 2 parts shares, so still overweight shares from where I'd like to be.

EDIT: And some Jun '24 200 strike calls. Feels like I'm holding a fire sale. Reality is that I kept buying the dip most of the way down to 100 (130s I think was my lowest buy). Selling some of that and I'm still >50% shares (by which I mean both shares and high DTE calls). More sales are necessary to get back to 50/50.

Also thinking the same as you on the shitputs idea. I bought July 7th +p195s for .88. My feeling is that we've run up so far, so fast, with effectively no news along the way, that a fall back into the low 200s on a similar lack of news is trivial. And still way far ahead of where we were a month ago. This purchases hedges against that outcome.

I'm looking for a noticeable down day before opening new csp or bps.
Decided to go for 50x July 21st -c200's, but as I was out playing music I missed the pop and trying to get a good mimic at close I missed by 3c, will look for a pop to grab them tomorrow...

Monday markets are closed, BTW

Just watched - this is interpretation.

Could be his idea of a synthetic - Sell the Put / Buy the Call
Could be opposite - Sell the call / buy the Put

Could be a Straddle - sell both

For the position size and timing (right around earnings) this to me is a Straddle - theta burn and up or down gives you upside protection to $295 and downside protection to $215.

I would imagine this gets an exit after the P&D depending on directionality from the winning side.
2 weeks of theta burn and some directionality.

Don't agree with the analysis but it was a fun video to watch.

Reactions: Jim Holder
Holy COW!!!!

Just saw this Dark Pool print for TSLA today at $248 - $20B!!!
View attachment 947316

Today's range was $247.29 - $258.95, so I don't think there's any way of us figuring out whether it was at the Bid or at the Ask, and intuiting bullish or bearish on that front. But it certainly is interesting.

I haven't tracked it in awhile and don't have tools handy, so I'll shamelessly ask here - is IV relatively elevated at the moment?
Relatively speaking yes IV is up. Prior to this 13 day runup we had premiums near lows and many here were talking about how paltry premiums were. Compared to 2021 and 2022 we aren't near the IV highs we experienced those prior years

Edit:
As a reference I was selling monthly CC in 2021 and 2022 that were 20% otm and each would typically receive over $800. During consolidation periods premiums would average around $500 and at low points they'd hit $200 or so.
3 weeks ago 20% otm cc were raking in less than $200 per contract and we are now at $670 per contract

Last edited:
Looking for some not advice..

Sold CC 20x 195 0630
Sold these 1 month ago, so obviously was caught by the wave up - good for my TSLA, not so much for the CC
I'm not wedded to these shares but they have a cost basis of $15 and are in a taxable account.
Looked for rolls, but nothing stands out to me.
Any thoughts 🤔

• Informative
Reactions: UltradoomY

Sold CC 20x 195 0630
Sold these 1 month ago, so obviously was caught by the wave up - good for my TSLA, not so much for the CC
I'm not wedded to these shares but they have a cost basis of $15 and are in a taxable account.
Any thoughts 🤔
That far in the money, you can only roll for credit at the same strike, e.g. you can only forestall the inevitable. Unfortunately, you essentially “sold” those shares at $195, and now you must buy them back at $250, or roll for a looooong time (2025) to get any strike improvement, or roll at a debit (paying part of your loss). The only other way out is to roll and “hope” the SP drops. Unfortunately, hope is not a great strategy.

Relatively speaking yes IV is up. Prior to this 13 day runup we had premiums near lows and many here were talking about how paltry premiums were. Compared to 2021 and 2022 we aren't near the IV highs we experienced those prior years

Edit:
As a reference I was selling monthly CC in 2021 and 2022 that were 20% otm and each would typically receive over $800. During consolidation periods premiums would average around $500 and at low points they'd hit $200 or so.
3 weeks ago 20% otm cc were raking in less than $200 per contract and we are now at $670 per contract
But what was the SP at that time? Aren’t premiums related to the SP as well? Going 10% OTM was giving 100 for weeklies when we were trading around 110, now that’s 200-300. Which is normal of course.

I wasn't doing options before the stock split, but followed premiums since then.
I can recall 10% OTM gave you like 1% (so when we were trading at 800 you could get 800 USD weekly for a 10% OTM PUT/CALL).
Correct me if I'm wrong.

Last edited:

Sold CC 20x 195 0630
Any thoughts 🤔
So you received something like $5 for the initial premium and now they're trading $62...?

Depends how patient you are... October expiry you get +$15 strike improvement to -c210, December -c220, -c270 for September 2024

If you keep the 195 strike then quarterly roll to October pays $73, so you could reduce 20x to 18x, if you're prepared to sacrifice the initial premium (assuming was $5), then you can reduce to 17x

If you have cash then you could sell some ATM weekly puts - 6x per week and you can buy back one call, buy some October +p200's with your first put sell, then you have a safety-net on those in case of a pull-back, and a drop below 200 would save all your calls too

Combine the two above, quarterly all to less contracts, selling puts to close out, then can go faster than you think

A more nuclear approach could be to roll to a 10x October 260 straddle, that pays $33 for each side, cuts your expose down to 10x calls and puts, ATM, obviously a big move in either direction needs to be dealt with, but you essentially halve your risk

Not advice, of course, just what I would be looking at myself

Last edited:
But what was the SP at that time? Aren’t premiums related to the SP as well? Going 10% OTM was giving 100 for weeklies when we were trading around 110, now that’s 200-300. Which is normal of course.

I wasn't doing options before the stock split, but followed premiums since then.
I can recall 10% OTM gave you like 1% (so when we were trading at 800 you could get 800 USD weekly for a 10% OTM PUT/CALL).
Correct me if I'm wrong.
Seems to be moderately elevated compared to the last 12 months:

1686907652484.png

But look at that skew!!

1686907709002.png

Both charts from free account here: TSLA Implied Volatility Chart Tesla

Sold CC 20x 195 0630
Any thoughts 🤔
Good advice above. But there is also just closing them out and being tax neutral, if you are willing to let 400-500 shares go. Scrounge enough to close a single option, then sell 100 shares to get cash to close more options. I estimate you will lose 400 shares. Loss of options will cancel profit of shares sold and be tax neutral. The rest of shares will be untouched.