Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Selling TSLA Options - Be the House

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks.

Aren’t the -C185/190/195 a bit close for comfort in case of a favorable response to FOMC or other Wookiee-Jookie or do you plan to roll anyway?

Very close for comfort - but you don’t make money being comfortable, do you?

I kept the # contracts low and they’re backed by 1/26 LEAPS. I am worried about FOMC but a drop would still be more painful than a rally for the rest of my position.

we bullish right? Beat that Jenson Huang....

1706637883283.png

Reactions: UncaNed
In case someone doesn't believe the media is biased and full of crap. Headlines in my news feed make you think GM hit it out of the park, and they are up 7%. Meanwhile here is a nice breakdown of just how terrible their earnings really were. Contrast this to TSLA. Unbelievable.

Two highlights, with profitable ICE sales and very few money losing EV sales:

Auto gross margin declined to 6.7%, or -4.8%pts QoQ!
Operating margin declined by 5.1%pts, to just 0.6%!

https://x.com/alojoh/status/1752351188278792557?s=20
Mary, Mary quite contrary, how does your company grow...?

With my short puts now in a happier place, turned my attention to the call side of things, especially as I have a busy week ahead in the day job and Friday evening I'll be travelling to a music festival in Utrecht, so best to roll things out today

Thanks to the dip: BTC 100x 2/2 -c185 @$7.7 (-$3.6) -> STO 80x 2/9 -c185 @$9.9

A free roll for 20% less contracts on the same strike, pleased with that...

"Poor man's covered call" - If my short calls do go DITM, I can close them out 1:1 with my 1/26 +100c. Or I could roll them for the next 2 years. My point was just that all my shares are uncovered, so I'm still happy if we do rally.

Interesting. Would I be able to use any of these I have to do the same and write ITM a few CCs for this week to try it?
10x +C255 9/20 @18.51 (now 10.45; red -43%)
15x +C300 1/17 @15.97 (now 10.10; red -36%)
5x +C150 12/2025 @109.36 (now 75.97; red -30%)

Since they're bought options is the idea to request to exercise them (do they have to be green?) to cover the short shares if the PMCC goes ITM?
Just trying to learn the mechanics.

Interesting. Would I be able to use any of these I have to do the same and write ITM a few CCs for this week to try it?

Since they're bought options is the idea to request to exercise them (do they have to be green?) to cover the short shares if the PMCC goes ITM?
You’d want the long strike lower than the short call strike so the c150 would work. The short calls don’t need to be ITM.

There is a risk on a big rally that the near-term short call loses money much faster than the LEAPS makes money.

There are no mechanics, it’s just that you know that a higher strike near-term call will never be worth more than a lower strike far-out call. So you just STC the LEAPS and BTC the short call at the same time if that’s what you need to do.

I found this helpful article on a Poor Man's Covered Call - Poor Man's Covered Call - What is it?

If I'm following it right, you could use your 5x +C150 12/2025 to write short calls against. The long call needs to be ITM.

Reactions: Jim Holder
I found this helpful article on a Poor Man's Covered Call - Poor Man's Covered Call - What is it?

If I'm following it right, you could use your 5x +C150 12/2025 to write short calls against. The long call needs to be ITM.

Thank you. Since the 5x +C150 12/2025 are down -30% STC will lock in the loss so it may not make sense in this case (?). Perhaps this works with LEAPS that are green?

Thank you. Since the 5x +C150 12/2025 are down -30% STC will lock in the loss so it may not make sense in this case (?). Perhaps this works with LEAPS that are green?
It could lock in a loss for your LEAPS if we rise from here and you have to STC. Or it could cushion further loss if we drop from here or stay flat. Same risks as always selling calls. You just never know.

Reactions: Jim Holder

Long calls don't need to be in the money. Short call just must be further out, whether it is for same date(vertical/diagonal ), or a different date (calendar spreads)

Long call being ITM is a specific broker rule. I can write -c200's against -c300's if I want, behaves exactly like a spread for me

If TSLA hangs out in the $196-$197 area this afternoon, then $198 can fall next and see $200 this week and $217 follow-though next week if macro doesn't bomb....
Far be it from me to crush your optimism... but I don't feel like that is what the market is telling us right now. I think you are going to need to be patient for a few weeks to see $210. If this week goes well for earnings then I could see more optimism for next week, but I expect consolidation around $192-195 for now.