Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Selling TSLA Options - Be the House

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Bought-to-close a variety of overnight + morning-pop short calls at $161 area for decent gains, helped make up 40% of the losses on the dying +C205 4/19.

Watching PA now. It's trading surprisingly tame for Quad-Witching, unless the fun-and-violence crew are coming later.

If $160 is defended I'll wait on selling new CC's until we see if we get any bounce, and sell into it.

I also closed the +160/-150 3/28 spread for nice gains (thanks @dl003!). Will reopen if we lose $160.

TSLA too weak. Hard to see it getting to 166+ today.

1710514482162.png

@Max Plaid @MikeC I'm preparing a plan for my 10X -P250 9/20 (extrinsic is $0.80 currently) in case extrinsic drains out in the low $150's and at risk of assignment.

Looking at the chain I can debit roll it down and out to 10x -P240 for 3/2025 (6 months further out; more time for SP to recover or just bounce; gain $5.15 in extrinsic). It will have a debit of about $6,000 which I assume is better than booking a $37,210 loss (the delta between $192.21 CB and ~$155) if I was assigned and immediately sold the shares. I can easily earn the $6k back through my regular scalping.

As an aside, if assigned I can also sell ATM calls for about $10k the week of assignment to help recover some of the loss.

Am I missing something?
Is there a better roll that's not too far out?

Ty

Last edited:
View attachment 1028263

secret sauce (not rocket science!):
  • max 6Δ (TastyTrade recommends less than 16Δ)
  • ladder in daily (roll to 6Δ again when your Δ moves, or STO new daily 6Δ)
Slow and steady , selling .04 and .05 delta and forming 100 wide IC legs is working well, thanks for the suggest ! To get on with the weekend, I closed the put side of NVDA and SMCI, left the +c positions that were 0.00 bid to expire. Now I just have TSLA +P180 that I hope to see increase value, if the blip we are seeing now is short lived before a probable slide down for a few weeks. Getting out of the Jan 2025 -P240 (using 2022 gains) has removed so much stress contemplating what to do when extrinsic approached $1 and below. I've reduce my cash by quite a bit, but it feels so good to sleep at night. I also decided to keep my shares for the long haul... cost basis is so low. GLTA!

@Max Plaid @MikeC I'm preparing a plan for my 10X -P250 9/20 (extrinsic is $0.80 currently) in case extrinsic drains out in the low $150's and at risk of assignment.

Looking at the chain I can debit roll it down and out to 10x -P240 for 3/2025 (6 months further out; more time for SP to recover or just bounce; gain $5.15 in extrinsic). It will have a debit of about $6,000 which I assume is better than booking a $37,210 loss (the delta between $192.21 CB and ~$155) if I was assigned and immediately sold the shares. I can easily earn the $6k back through my regular scalping.

As an aside, if assigned I can also sell ATM calls for about $10k the week of assignment to help recover some of the loss.

Am I missing something?
Is there a better roll that's not too far out?

Ty
Why not write 10x -c240's at the same 3/2025 strike? Do we think the SP will be there by then? I personally don't think so and there'd be plenty of time to roll up if the SP did rally

The good news with your current 9/20 -p250's is that there's a lot of OI >12k, but almost zero volume, so no-one is trading them and unless they all get exercised at once, you'd be unlucky

I think it’s probably just you and RSF in that club. We’re simply peeking through the windows with aspirations.
There's quite a few here with a hell of a lot more $portfolio than me, that's for sure, and mine is around 40% of where it was in November 2021, although to be fair with the cash I took out in the interim, probably more like 55%

For sure if I had just kept my original shares, never traded anything, my account would be 25% lower than it is right now

Right, I'm off down the pub...

Last edited: