Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Selling TSLA Options - Be the House

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
TSLA looking for its bottom

1712182388316.png

@tivoboy I'm legging into a new +P170 6/21/24 hedge position around here (took profit on the old one at yesterday's lows). Does the strike and expiration still make sense, and worth adding to this position? NFA of course.

Also sold today at pop: 5x -C180 4/26 @5.00; 10x -C185 5/17 @6.00; 10x-C190 5/17 @4.75. Saving rest of available CC's I can sell in case we get a run.

Link to the +P170 trade plot:
www.optionstrat.com/GBpnDcJL5NDi

View attachment 1035161
Sorry, was doing some FSDs testing today and driving down the coast… I guess that seems decent for RnR, you’re just making a play for E being like really negative - which it indeed may be… so it’s a bit more than a roll of the dice 6K, not sure where max profit lies from a SP standpoint to make it max profit 61K, but IF we get some serious movement - which I think we will, then you’re gonna having sum decidin’ ta do.

You remember a couple months back - maybe it was 4-5 weeks, we had that WALL at $180… see what happened..NOW we have a WALL at $160. We’ll see what happens. My read, there have been some LARGE stake holders who have been trying to put a line in the sand - I think I called it a Maginot line last time - to protect position and reduce risk. I’m thinking the same thing is now the case for earnings week and they are desperate to AGAIN hold that line at $160.

Ex all these indicators and fundamentals and projections, I wonder what @dl003 is seeing in price action and projection to either confirm or counter the writing that seems to be on all four walls.

There have been some LARGE stake holders who have been trying to put a line in the sand - I think I called it a Maginot line last time - to protect position and reduce risk. I’m thinking the same thing is now the case for earnings week and they are desperate to AGAIN hold that line at $160.

I often heard about “protecting” a level. What are the mechanics of that, how do they “hold the line” IRL?

My 2 year old +170/-195 BPS for next week fell into hard times. I had a bunch of -195P assigned last night. So before close today I closed the remaining spreads for $22 (OUCH!). I have made about $20 with very aggressive CCs the last few weeks, so that helped. But of course, we are now continuing to go up AH. If we end next week above 173 I would have been better off not closing them today. I tried rolling to 2025 or 2026, which I can usually do for $3 for an ITM BPS, but for some reason, I could net get it down below $6-8 range, which was just taking on more risk on a $25 spread.

So between closing the BPS 10 days early for a huge loss, and my 170CCs for next week, we can be pretty sure the SP will be 180+ next week. Oh yeah, I still have protective -160/+165P for this Friday, which means ZERO chance the SP is below 165 on Friday.

I swear the market knows all my positions, and just finds ways to screw me in the biggest way possible....

I often heard about “protecting” a level. What are the mechanics of that, how do they “hold the line” IRL?
Big whale have big tail… if I had 400M of SHARES, that I had pledged a large potion of for various other endeavors, I might try and protect the value of them with some LARGE put walls to keep other short sellers on the other side. These are games that most likely NONE of us are playing, but we can bet the odds and still come out ahead.

is it agood idea to sell shares at a loss cash out and use it to buy the dip ?
Sorry no easy answer for that.

As for me I still suck at selling longs vs options without losing at the end because of a sudden surge. In this case options have exit and fixing opportunities that selling straight shares don’t.

Last summer I sold half my longs at 222 and rebought at 212 the next day and lucky that was the bottom for that sequence. Gained $30k on that. But I find it stressful and not easy to do. Case in point, I keep promising I’ll cut my longs if we break 220, 205, 190, 180, 177, etc and I haven’t any of those times (I wish I did!), I keep saying “it fell so much don’t short into the hole,” yet it just goes down more. My next trigger is $158 🙈. I keep my sanity by selling CCs/buying occasional puts to generate gains while I wait for recovery.

Big whale have big tail… if I had 400M of SHARES, that I had pledged a large potion of for various other endeavors, I might try and protect the value of them with some LARGE put walls to keep other short sellers on the other side. These are games that most likely NONE of us are playing, but we can bet the odds and still come out ahead.
Cool! So they basically spend on LOTS of puts or calls to throw a scent and expense it as protection as it’s worth it for them.

Reactions: tivoboy