Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Semi regen?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So if you were on your way down a long steep slope and the regen fails or is compromised should you immediately pull over and stop?
Yes! 100%. The longer you wait the harder it will be to stop.

What would you do then if rebooting the truck didn't get the regen back online? Call for support?
Yes! Absolutely. If the regen doesn't work then it's not safe to drive the truck down the hill. It is equivalent to an ICE truck losing the drive shaft or differential so the engine can't be used for braking.

I presume it would be foolish to continue driving. If it's as serious as this let's hope the warning are clear to the driver if regen is a safety-critical function in certain circumstances.
Yes. I imagine that not riding the brakes down a long hill is already an integral part of training people to drive trucks. I believe there are warnings for car drivers to not ride the brakes on long downhill slopes (like Mount Washington). The key thing is to not ride the brakes which pertains to all vehicles regardless of the method of propulsion.

Reactions: Dan D.
Yes! 100%. The longer you wait the harder it will be to stop.

Yes! Absolutely. If the regen doesn't work then it's not safe to drive the truck down the hill. It is equivalent to an ICE truck losing the drive shaft or differential so the engine can't be used for braking.

Yes. I imagine that not riding the brakes down a long hill is already an integral part of training people to drive trucks. I believe there are warnings for car drivers to not ride the brakes on long downhill slopes (like Mount Washington). The key thing is to not ride the brakes which pertains to all vehicles regardless of the method of propulsion.
Some more information here about regen braking in the semi. Pros and cons. Hopefully they have designed the regen to be robust even in cold weather.

Reactions: BitJam
Will the Tesla semi have a variable regen to keep 82,000 pounds at 18 mph on a long 6% downgrade?
The Tesla Semi can keep 82,000 at the speed limit on any US Interstate.

Likely it can do so on any road that it can safely drive on at a safe speed limit.

Eisenhower pass is 6%, and it can do it at 65mph (car speed limit) at 45mph (truck speed limit) and it could do it at 18mph easily.