Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Semi on Steep Grades (Napkin Physics)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With two kids successfully launched to STEM college, I am running out of high school physics problem. So I did this

TL;DR: The Semi can keep steady speed down any interstate at any legal speed. It can also slow down the truck on that hill. The brakes will be cool at the bottom.

With two kids successfully launched to STEM college, I am running out of high school physics problem. So I did this

TL;DR: The Semi can keep steady speed down any interstate at any legal speed. It can also slow down the truck on that hill. The brakes will be cool at the bottom.
Cool write up. Thanks for showing the use of Google for more than trivial arithmetic and dealing with units, too! I didn’t know you could do that now.

I am skeptical of your 90% efficiency for regen, but I don’t know enough about that to provide a better number (or links).

Cool write up. Thanks for showing the use of Google for more than trivial arithmetic and dealing with units, too! I didn’t know you could do that now.

I am skeptical of your 90% efficiency for regen, but I don’t know enough about that to provide a better number (or links).
I am working on another writeup.

But there TL;DR is that on the 500 mile graph there was pretty much no impact from the Grapevine and the other elevation. That route had ~16,000 ft total elevation.

I am now claiming 95% roundtrip.

I really hope that my posts age well, but I am skeptical myself :)