Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sentinel mode not working, tried them (almost?) all. What's the problem?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, I have my sentinel mode not working right, it register 1/10th of the event.

I know there were many eventis (a busy parking lot, and so on), when I come back inside the car on my HUD its written xx events recorder (can be 1-3 sometimes 20, onetime 50), but when I go check the recordings there is NONE!!

SO far I tried

A "regular" USB, formatted in exFAT (then I tried to format it FAT32)
A Sandisk Extreme SSD 256Gb, formatted in exFAT, FAT32, ETX4 nada nothing
A SanDisk MAX Endurance Scheda microSDHC 32 GB, formatted in FAT32, BTW I receive a warning that the SD should be at least 32Gb (which it is)

WHen on PC I used RUFUS as tool

Of course I tried also to format it from the car, but nothing, all the same

Yes.

The dashboard is recorded, the Sentinel events not
Important to realize one thing: sentry mode and dashcam are completely separate. Sentry works regardless of whether there is a usb drive attached. If dashcam is running while sentry is active, a sentry event will also trigger dashcam to save the recent footage. The fact that sentry is working says nothing about the operation of the USB port or anything in it.

Important to realize one thing: sentry mode and dashcam are completely separate. Sentry works regardless of whether there is a usb drive attached. If dashcam is running while sentry is active, a sentry event will also trigger dashcam to save the recent footage. The fact that sentry is working says nothing about the operation of the USB port or anything in it.

Sentry works regardless? And where does it store the events? How can we get those events and watch/record them ?

Sentry works regardless? And where does it store the events? How can we get those events and watch/record them ?
It stores the events in internal memory. Until recently, no video was stored unless there was a USB drive inserted (for DashCam). Without video, you can see that something happened at a particular time but that's it. Apparently now there is some internal caching of video as well (to thwart thieves who break in and know to steal the USB drive as well) although I haven't yet explored that feature.

It stores the events in internal memory. Until recently, no video was stored unless there was a USB drive inserted (for DashCam). Without video, you can see that something happened at a particular time but that's it. Apparently now there is some internal caching of video as well (to thwart thieves who break in and know to steal the USB drive as well) although I haven't yet explored that feature.
But what's the point of recording if you can't see the video?

Am I missing something?

The latest Tesla updates include Sentry Mode footage of the last panic event will now be saved to onboard memory. To view or save this clip, plug in a USB device, launch the Dashcam Viewer, and tap the save icon on the bottom right corner of the screen.

The latest Tesla updates include Sentry Mode footage of the last panic event will now be saved to onboard memory. To view or save this clip, plug in a USB device, launch the Dashcam Viewer, and tap the save icon on the bottom right corner of the screen.

you mean the center top? I do have a center top icon where I can save the video, nothing on the bottom right corner of the screen

you mean the center top? I do have a center top icon where I can save the video, nothing on the bottom right corner of the screen
The text is taken directly from the latest Tesla Update Change logs you see after updating your software. When you press the Dashcam Icon, there should be a window that pops down, and saving the video should be an option in the bottom right of that window. I imagine that this only is enabled if you don't already have a USB capturing all Sentry activity.

Also, both front USB ports are media capable, dashcam/sentry capable, and can power the Tesla wireless fast phone charger, or any USB fast charge Qi-enabled smartphone at up to 7.5W of power. Rear USB ports are for charging only, and are not media capable. From my 2020 User Manual:

"Your Model S has two USB ports located on the front of the center console that you can use to connect USB devices. To play audio
files stored on a USB drive connected to these ports, see Playing Media from Devices on page 142. You can also use these ports to charge
USB devices...The Model S inductive phone charger can charge your Qi-enabled smartphone at up to 7.5W of power...The
inductive phone charger uses either one of thefront USB ports to charge."